Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: Dowdeswell 352 Post Reply Post New Topic
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote roatavator Replybullet Topic: Dowdeswell 352
    Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 8:24pm
Modern medium size rotavator, presumed to date from the 1980's but I know very little history. If anyone can tell me how to use the gearbox correctly I'd be grateful, as selection seems very hit and miss and reverse unfathomable. This was presumably the continuation of the Howard 350 after Howard's demise. Kubota 4 stroke engine.

IP IP Logged
crawler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote crawler Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 3:21pm
Hi Roatavator
Just been reading back through some of the earlier posts on the forum and came across this one. You may already have figured out the gears but as I as at my fathers today I thought I'd pull his 350 out of the shed and have a look. They look very similar, although your 352 appears to have an extra lever heading down into the vee belt drive at the side.
To select fast or slow on the 350 you push the gear lever fully forard or pull it right back, you should feel it engaging. To get reverse you position the gear lever in neutral and rotate it. It does not stay in reverse gear and the lever has to be held in position or it will jump back into neutral.
Hope this helps.
I took a few pics of the 350 while I was at it.

Rob
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 6:05pm

Thanks Crawler. I obviously hadn't got the knack with the rotation for the reverse, and the fact that you have to hold it in position. I'll have to experiment some time.

Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 6:05pm
Hi Crawler. Many thanks for the info re gears. I have had a play this afternoon, well actually I needed to repair the starting recoil, and I now find I can successfully select all gears including reverse. No more having to pull it backwards out of the shed! The extra lever you refer to is the clutch lever, I see yours is cable operated but mine is a metal rod arrangement.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
crawler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote crawler Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 1:07pm
Hi Roatavator
Good to hear everything is working ok. The fact that you have to hold it in reverse is probably as a result of the rise of Health and Safety and the manufacturer having to make a machine that was less likely to run the operator over if he stumbled.
Apart from the cowl around the front and way the clutch operates there seems to be little else that was changed as the 350 was developed.
Rob
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 28 Mar 2009 at 5:59pm
Yup, another example of H&S. Same as on my Gem, select reverse gear, then have to hold clutch down to go backwards, if you let go of clutch it stops (or at least it did until the clutch started to wear up, now you reverse very carefully). I just couldn't decipher on the 352 what the symbol meant on the machine to get it in reverse, now I know it means twist the lever, all becomes clear. I've never found the Simar to be a danger in reverse despite dog clutch as it moves so slowly. The Honda F80 is another matter altogether. For a modern machine reverse is quite dangerous due to the automatic clutch and the fact that the throttle control is postioned so that if it squeezes the machine against your body it throttles up - not fun when you've reversed yourself against a greenhouse, but somehow Roatavator and the greenhouse lived to tell the tale.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 9:24am
The dog clutch controls on the SIMAR 56 have sensible built in safety feature. ie if going forwards and the machine should run away from you grabbing the clutch will disengage it. Similarly if the machine is reversing you into a wall, or out through the side of the greenhouse, pushing the reverse lever forward disengages it. I don't know if this was by design or accident.
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:35pm
I've always assumed design, Charlie. But if you look at the manual, it describes the positions for the reverse lever incorrectly, so make of that what you will....
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Martin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martin Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2009 at 8:28pm
Just a point  (Sorry ) Watch out for the sprag  when reversing,. This is the metal spike at the  end of the depth bar. It hides under the flap at the back of the rotors. Reversing can  allow the sprag to pierce feet and ankles, so be careful.Depth bar seems absent on the pictures of the 350
Looks like the 352 has a jockey wheel clutch, hence the extra lever
Due to stupidity, my 350 has lead me to two hospital visits Watch 'em they bite !
Martin
IP IP Logged
crawler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote crawler Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2009 at 9:23pm
Hello Martin
The 350 in the photos above belongs to my father. He has always used it with the depth control bar removed, never liked using it with it fitted.
Rob
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2009 at 10:03pm
Must say I have never had a problem with reversing Gem, 352 or Simar. However, the Honda F80 plough nearly got me. Automatic clutch on these, engine running a little erratically, increased revs slightly in reverse, but due to erratic running revs picked up more than anticipated. Consequence, reversed much more quickly than intended. Managed to reduce throttle and machine stopped just in time with me pressed hard up against greenhouse. Due to the design of the throttle, it was pressing into my chest and trying to make engine rev up again, which of course would have propelled me into the glass-big Alton with large panes of glass so wasn't keen on that. Stood there wondering what to do then occurred to me I could of course take it out of gear-never known for my quick thinking...
Roatavator and greenhouse were creaking quite a bit but both lived to tell the tale.

Edited by roatavator - 02 May 2009 at 10:04pm
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 8:17pm

The extra lever moves the idler wheel up and down to engage the drive, I bet most 300/350 owners wishes theres had something like this as my experience of the clutches fitted is they are often troublesome and expensive to sort out or a lot of owners dont bother which leads to a lot of examples having gearbox trouble.

If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version