Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: Howard Gem in action 28/2/09 Post Reply Post New Topic
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Topic: Howard Gem in action 28/2/09
    Posted: 28 Feb 2009 at 6:17pm
Tongue After a weeks dry weather, I thought it was about time I drag the Howard Gem out of the shed & give it some hard work. After flushing out the cooling system & checking theres oil in the right places it fired up 2nd swing of the handle. It smoked well under full load as you can see in the pics. Are they all as smokey as this??? We are getting the plot ready for potatoes soon.
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:00am
Hello Dieselhead.
Do you have a manual for the engine?  if not I will copy for you.
You should be using straight 40HD oil, not a multigrade!.

There is an adjustment that they call 'the smoke stop adjustment'  it is behind the cold start knob.

Otherwise looks good.

" Who needs a Simar ? "
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 5:17pm
Hi Hortiman, No I have not got an engine manual. Yes please I would like a copy so I can set it up! There was one on ebay a few months back which went for more than I was prepared to pay.
I havent a clue what grade of oil is in it! Both engine oil & fuel tank was full when I brought it. Is straight 40 still obtainable? Think that oil should also go in the drayton engine on my MG40. When the engines not powering the unit its fine. Only gases me & the wild life when its working hard!! Thats my carbon foot print for part of the year.  Yes there was no simars hiding in the trees!
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 5:37pm
I hesitate to say this, but your Gem smokes a lot more than my Simar!
Just to prove I'm open minded I've also got a Gem, about 1970 vintage, pics were posted some long time ago. Mines got the Hatz diesel. I enjoy using it, but on a cold day you need someone holding the handlebars down to start it or else be Superman to attempt the start from the side crank.
Yours looks an older model, I'm guessing 1960's? Any expert out there?

Edited by roatavator - 01 Mar 2009 at 5:38pm
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 6:59pm
Hi Roatavator, Its got the sachs 2 stroke water cooled diesel fitted. It starts ok if you put a good wick in to help. Its got a front starting handle as well a side crank, this has no handle fitted. I bet if I gave the serial no to Mr Hortiman hes will be able to date it for me. Dont think its as noisy as a simar though. Gems very smooth running
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 7:00pm
Not to be out done by a Howard I got my old (1948) Rototiller 56 out of the shed and gave the veg plot a good rotavating. I was amazed how dry it was after all the rain and snow.
I can confirm that the Howard does smoke more than the SIMAR, it is probably a lot quieter too!!!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 7:02pm
For old grades of oil try Morris's of Shrewsbury, they do a range of oils for older cars and machinery and are very helpful if you give them a call. I use their AG140 gear oil in the Rototiller gearbox.
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 7:12pm
Thanks Charlie I will try them. I do have some of there AG140 which I will put in the gear box when I change it. Its a bit milky at the min
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 7:48pm

Hi Dieselhead. Now I come to think of it, the Howard 700 my father had when I was a kid used to smoke a lot too, that had the Sachs 2 stroke diesel although air cooled by a belt driven fan from the pulley. Towards the end of its life it became difficult to start even with a wick and the youthful Roatavator had to start it for the old folk when they wanted to use it and they'd leave it running all day. Wouldn't want to be in the presence of a Simar running all day, despite my obsession.

Up here in Norfolk Charlie things are still far too wet for rotavating, but I confess I did get the Honda F80 out yesterday for a bit of a plough - it didn't really need doing but the machine needed the exercise. This is the one I was having trouble finding metal foil gauze for the air cleaner for. I can now confirm that a metal based pot cleaner does the job very well, and much to my surprise it was exactly the right size to fit. 

Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:12pm
Sorry to correct you Mr Roatavator but the Howard 700 was fitted with the Hirth Diesel engine, they puff a bit of black stuff on acceleration, but if adjusted correctly and with correct oil in the tank they should not pump out too much blue smoke, but remember they do have a 'total loss' lubrication system to the engine, so some smoke and smuts are to be expected!.
I will hunt down a manual Mr Dieselhead and let you have a copy .

I too have been using Gem and Howard 352 today, sorry Mr Roatavator but the soil down here is just boootiful !

I have also found Morrison SAE40HD to be available.
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 8:10pm

Well clearly I've got Sachs on the brain. Mind you, it was a long time ago, and I was only a little sprog when the 700 went to the market garden in the sky.

Don't understand this rain business, I thought in East Anglia we lived in the warmest driest part of the UK. Seems someone forgot to tell the weatherman. There's lots of fields in this neck of the woods still saturated with standing water.

On the subject of wicks, I still have an untouched tin of original wicks supplied with the diesel Gem around 1970. Its never needed one in all its life.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 4:14pm
hi is this engine the sachs 500?
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 5:15pm
Yes, the Gem is fitted with the Sachs 500 engine, I dont think they fitted any Sachs 600s to Gems, but only on a handful of 800s.
Chris
IP IP Logged
TonySpriet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TonySpriet Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 8:14pm
hi the fichtel&Sachs  watercooled 2-stroke diesel engines are all smoking, i have a Hummel DE52 and a Fahr KT10D5 and they are both original equiped with the Sachs engines, they are always smoking when they have to do some hard work. Nice machine you have there dieselheadSmile
 There are some nice things to sell on Kapaza.be, 2-stroke diesel engine for Agria 12 hp and a Bungartz
Sorry for the small picturesConfused, the engine and the tractor are in good running shapeTongue

Edited by TonySpriet - 13 Dec 2009 at 8:33pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version