Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: Ransomes Sims & Jefferies 14" Lightweight Post Reply Post New Topic
GlenReed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote GlenReed Replybullet Topic: Ransomes Sims & Jefferies 14" Lightweight
    Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 4:49pm
Here are some pictures i took today of my Ransomes Sims & Jefferies 14" lightweight Mk4 Cyclinder Mower. I took it out the shed for the first time this year and she started within about 3 swings of the handle, its about as original as they come except for some minor modifications that were made by the previouse and only other owner befor me who was an engineer and he fitted what basicly are extensions to the hard to reach grease niples out of copper pipe and fittings. Serial no is T9952. The serial numbers ran from T1501 (March 1938) to T10326 (August 1951). They were classed as obsolete May 1966, so you can make your own mind up how old it is, i also own another identical mower that is a couple of years older that is in bits at the moment with a knackered coil.
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 5:42pm
Nice machine GlenReed. I used to have an old Atco 2-stroke many moons ago. The engine and carb look very similar to the Atco. I keep looking on ebay etc, as I think at some point I might have to give in and get another old mower. These new machines work ok but they're not much fun.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 7:09pm
Hi GlenReed, I too have owned one of these in the past but have since sold it years ago. I think I have a mag back plate with a coil on. Not sure if its any good though. Most times you need to clean the points & make sure your HT leads ok, then spin the engine over fast with an electric drill. This normally kick starts the mag back into life. Make your you have a good blue spark you can weld with or you may well have to change the condensor to solve this
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
GlenReed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote GlenReed Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 8:03pm
Roatavator a lot of the Atcos had pretty much the same engines although most were kick start i have recently had one given to me not sure what state it is in though as i have not managed to catch the fellow in yet to pick it up.
Thanks for your advice  Dieselhead but i am 100% sure its the coil these engine are very common for bad coils as they get hot inside the flywheel and over the years basicly rot away the windings i am sure this is the case as i have checked it with a meter and its OC, its just a case of the mrs letting me spend 20 on a new 1, they are not hard to get hold of as they were used in a lot of early british bikes and some outboards etc
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 5:28pm
Does any one know where i can get a new coil for a villiers engine like this.
I have tried vlliers parts .co.uk but they are very expensive.
Does anyone have a second hand one that still has a decent spark
thanks
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 20 Mar 2009 at 6:42pm
Hi there Mowersman.
I would try John Cruse, The Mower Centre, Hailsham, East Sussex.
He has loads of obsolete Villiers and other parts, and does mail order.
01323 842477  daytime or Sat Morns.
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
GlenReed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote GlenReed Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2009 at 10:59pm
Hi mowersman, there is a chap who sells new ones on ebay for 20 + postage all you need to know is the rough length as i beleave they come in 2 sizes. Old secondhand ones are a bit of a waste of time and can cause more trouble than there worth
wynnen2 is his ebay id

hope this helps
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version