Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: MONROTILLER series 1 Post Reply Post New Topic
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Topic: MONROTILLER series 1
    Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:13pm
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:30pm
Hi as most will know this is a monrotiller series1 ,two forward speed .
  M/C No 934A built around  1951/52 very handy machine to go between rows with the narrow milling box .Starts and runs lovely ajoy to use with the side valve villiers engine a real strong machine iwill try a post a pic of tines as any one got any different tines on there series 1 they are real heavy duty digging tines for a small m/c .
  REGARDS ANDY
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:40pm
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2009 at 9:44pm
series 1 miller box  WELL greased and not just for the photo
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:01pm
Andy, from the serial number your machine was supplied second hand on 6/4/55, which is after production of the series 1 ended. Oddly enough the records show 934 as going to Brisbane, Australia on 1/8/52. I can only guess it was returned to the factory for some reason. I will try and scan the record book and post it on here for you to see. The series 1 only had a run of around 1300 machines from March 1951 to Dec 1952. Does your machine have a small brass tag on the top of the gearbox and is there a number stamped on it? If so does the number match the machine number on the engine plate?

Your machine appears to be in very good original condition. Always good to see one still earning its keep. The tines are the normal digging tines, scuffling tines were also available, I will scan relevant page in operators manual and post on here..

IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:03pm
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 5:14pm
I have scanned the records but had to do it in two scans, see below, hope it can be read OK. You can see where serial numbers have been crossed out and re-written.
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 24 Mar 2009 at 7:35pm
Am I right in thinking the tines are in fixed contact with the miller rotor, rather than having any form of shock absorption like the Simar spring and tine arrangement? If so, does it make monrotillers any more liable to damage from hard obstacles?
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 3:16pm
Tines on Monro Tiller series 1 are bolted to the shaft. On series 2 and 3 machines they fit through shaft and are fixed with a pin through end of tine, the pin is held in place by circular wire around shaft, see below. There is no spring to absorb shock as on Rototiller.

Edited by Charlie - 25 Mar 2009 at 3:17pm
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 3:51pm
Thanks Charlie. Must make them a little rough to use on hard or stony ground then.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 7:27pm
Smile Thanks Charlie I will check for the plate on gearbox top, It  is so smooth to use on my allotment which as been worked before  but i recently rotavated over an area that used to be a path which was really compacted hard with these tines which are classified digging tynes it was no effort .on compacted ground it turns it up course on previously worked ground it knocks it down fine with these tines .A friend has a  howard gem  he says with this type of tines they will lift tarmac on pavements . You cant have one type  of tines for every application but these diggers are pretty close on a series1.REGARDS ANDY 

Edited by andys - 25 Mar 2009 at 7:29pm
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version