Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: Monro Tiller Cylinder mower Post Reply Post New Topic
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote Charlie Replybullet Topic: Monro Tiller Cylinder mower
    Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 10:11am
Photograph of my Monro Tiller series 2 with cylinder mower attachment, I have the grass box but left it off for photo to give better view of mower.
IP IP Logged
ransomesmg6
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote ransomesmg6 Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 12:46pm
hi charlie, very nice piece of original equipment you have got there. I like it when they are left in original, gives them a bit of a story to tell.
Many thanks for sharing the picture.

Edited by ransomesmg6 - 11 Apr 2009 at 12:47pm
Remember!!
Nothing runs like a Deere!!
But..
Nothing trots like a Horse!!
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2009 at 12:57pm
Charlie, great to see the mower. Just shows how versatile some of these old machines are. Like mq6 I prefer machines with their original patina- in my case read dirt and oil, but what the heck!
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 8:39am
This machine with its attachments, rotavator, finger mower and cylinder mower belonged to my father. He bought it from the original owner when I was about 2 or 3, so I grew up with this machine, which he used regularly untill he gave it to me. It is partly because of its history that I will not re-paint it, it also has an almost complete transfer on the rotavator box.
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 10:15am
Like you, Charlie, I grew up with my Simar. It belonged to the market garden where my late father worked. As a mini-roatavator I used to run a mile every time it was started up, then when it was replaced with a Howard 700 and stood at the back of the shed, it acquired a sort of exotic mystery. Later on, when my father got it working again, as a teenager I used it a bit, then still later it travelled with me to one of my own homes to work. After I moved here on a smaller site I had no need of it and it went back to father and packed up altogether. It was only after my father passed away that I got the urge to get her going again. Like you, because of the history, I wouldn't want to restore and repaint even if I had the skill. I'd sooner use as is and bring back memories every time she starts up. So much so that my eldest has already claimed her when my time is up so it looks as if the Simar will be a family heirloom.

The future beneficiary of the Simar has insisted that I set the record straight. It wasn't Roatavator alone that got the old girl going again; extensive assistance was given by the future beneficiary-thanks sonSmile

Edited by roatavator - 13 Apr 2009 at 3:51pm
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 11:25pm
Great pic Charlie the shaft at the back with the white knob on is that part of the mower attatchment.
                                      REGARDS ANDY
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version