Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Series 1 Rotary Hoes Gem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
usually works, but the slide hammer also gives it a shock load, can sometimes shift things that an ordinary puller cant.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:48pm
Tested the Magneto tonight... No spark! Checked all the insulating washers are on the correct sides of the stop tags, all appeared to be in the right places. Had a spare Condensor and Points, though not tested decided to swap them anyway as they are in a much less used condition. Now have a spark! however its not very strong. The entire Mag was stripped down again to recheck everything.... Leaving the cover off the Mag and observing the points operation a spark is produced across the contacts. All appears to be ok until I refit the HT lead and spark plug, then the spark vanishes. The Plug is an almost new Champion D16 and the HT lead is in very good condition with no breaks in the insulation. HELP???
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 9:55pm
Condenser.
The more I work with petrols, the more I like diesels...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:06pm
I wanted to check the coil aswell. As Ive heard or read somewhere that the copper windings tend to corrode. How do I test a coil? I have a multimeter, but Im unsure of what and where to test and what would be a good or bad reading?  
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 10:39pm
Set it to a high ohm reading, it is normally 10k or 20k ohms. then test between the HT point on the coil and some clean bare metal. A good reading for a Wico A will be 4k-6k ohms, a bad reading will be significantly less or no reading, indication open circuit.
The coils seem pretty good in Wico A's I've only had one fail on me, but that had been sat outside for many many years. If there is sparking between the points, then it indicates the condenser is shot. They coil may be a problem as well though, just pray it isn't, It will be about 65 to get it rewound.
Andrew
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:29am
That mag looks like an ex-military one, alloy top with weatherproof connector....

6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 1:43pm
A lot of BJ and Jap engined gems seem to have them, I've very rarley seen them on much else, except ex military kit...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 3:58pm
Thanks for the advice, will order up a new condensor and test the coil later this week.
Would these Mags have been fitted during this period mainly because these machines were produced during the war years and Rotary Hoes/Howard made use of what was being produced at this time?
IP IP Logged
enginear
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote enginear Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:03pm
That's quite possible,i know Clifford did,but i think the Gem came out in 1948, another point has anyone ever seen a BJ engine fitted to anything else i know the J.A.P. was used for a lot of thing's but the BJ?
simple
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 8:17pm
I imagine Howard would have kept these engines for their own use as materials were in short supply during some years of production, I have not seen one on another type of machine.
Here is a photo I took in Australia a few Years ago, It is as you can see a Howard Rotary Hoe, this is fitted with the Australian version of the BJ, which I think was known as an AJ .
Chris
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:22pm
Correct me if Im wrong but I think Ive read the Rotary Hoes "Roteho"  started production around 1940ish? This later became the Rotary Hoes "Gem" from a series 2 onwards? Then known as the Howard "Gem" In later models 3 to 5.
It is also my understanding that the BJ engine was Howards own?
I do like those wheels on Aussie version! are they a bronze alloy or something like? I guess AJ meant Australian Junior?
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:48pm
The Roteho gem was introduced in 1942, i believe around May time. The first machine was G101, i have G367 produced in September 1942, these early machines had the cycle type handlebars, no reverese and no diff lock. At G951 the more familiar type of handlebars were introduced along with a diff lock.
I belive in 1947 the series 2 with a reverse gear was introduced, this was at number G4801. My series 2 G9966 is 1948 and still has a brass plate on the rotor shield with Roteho on it.
Series 3's still had the label "manufactured by Rotary Hoes Ltd" but were called the Howard Gem.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:04pm
This one is G1384, A series one, No Reverse but has a diff. Its brass plate does say Roteho, It has the later type handlebars with a slightly different swinging bar than the latest incarnation. It is curled back where it is bolted to the main bars. This can be seen in this photo. The 2nd photo is the series two which has the more common type handlebar fitted.

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 9:24pm
I'd forgotten about that, yes series 1's do have that type of bar.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 2:53pm
Tested the coil today, set multimeter to 20k ohms and it tested at 5.21k ohms. So I guess from that then the coil is good and it must be the condenser at fault as advised. Always pays to check though!
Have been polishing the aluminium mag cap, its getting there, needs a bit more elbow grease.....I may clear coat laquer it when finished and do the rest of the mag in black.
IP IP Logged
lawnmowerboy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lawnmowerboy Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 3:52pm
the mags are nearly always kept bare ali but thats looking quite good
i think it must havebeen the military style one with the braided wire shielded HT lead
Grow old, not up!!!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:32pm
Have just ordered a new condenser, Copper HT lead and a cap from John Cruse. That should sort the lack of spark!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:31pm
Im suffering from itchy fingers! I want to get on with things...... But Im still waiting for a call from the engineering works who have the valve chamber to say its ready, with its newly fitted valve guides.
So! Whilst I wait.... I decided to do something. I know I said I wasn't going to paint until the engine was running.... I just had to get my hands on the Gem again, Ive become an addict! Today the mag got a coat of etch primer and a top coat of gloss black.....The cap had another polish then a coat of clear to keep the shine.....

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:35pm

Still hadn't satisfied my need to tinker, So I painted the Barrel and Cylinder head in black smoothrite..... 

IP IP Logged
ransomesmg6
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote ransomesmg6 Replybullet Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:39am
Very nice Darmic, a coat of paint changes everything doesn't it, Well Done!!!
Remember!!
Nothing runs like a Deere!!
But..
Nothing trots like a Horse!!
IP IP Logged
the pig
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote the pig Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 6:25am
Pig i see you have got the bug can't leave it alone for to long as you might suffer withdrawl systems. you are doing another great jod, but all good things cost a arm and a leg, looking foward t hearing it runningThumbs%20Up
eddie the howard lover
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:07pm

Evening! Ive decided to reload all the material previous to the forum hiccup! So here goes....

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
The new parts for the Mag arrived from John Cruse at the Mower centre. His prices are much more reasonable than IIS. Here are the pics of the new Wico Condenser, Copper core HT lead and the Non Resistive spark plug cap.... All for 17.80 incl of postage.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
Thankyou, i've been looking forward to the next installment, helps keep me motivated with my next project.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm
Taken the Clutch assembly out also due to wear on the plate and scoring to the metal parts. Most of this scoring has been removed with a Random orbit sander using progressively finer grades of paper. Here is a picture of the scoring and the clutch assembly, just waiting for a new plate to arrive....
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:17pm
John is very knowledgable and helpful, thats why I normally suggest him as a parts supplier...
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:19pm
Thanks s1g, Been busy, took 6 days off work and spent 4 in the garage, so things have progressed. Will hopefully meet you Saturday at Tractor World, you wouldnt know of anyone who might have a set of Gem wheels going spare? would you?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:23pm
Cleaned out the clutch bell housing and removed some extremely sharp casting burrs with the Dremel, the most useful tool I own. I then painted the inside housing with Smoothrite to hopefully stop the build up of grime again...
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:23pm
I'll have to have a look, i cant remember what ive got round the back of work,I know i used one spare set on my twin cylinder, do i take it theyre for this gem as the design changed slightly over the years?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:29pm
Yes please for series 1 or 2, I think they are both the same? Its just that I have a block paved drive and I think the weight of the beast clonking over it with these cast cleats will do untold damage to the blocks!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm
I then set about the Cooling fan casing to remove old layers of paint... Only to discover the GEM was once disguised as a Trusty! complete with green coat!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:33pm
the steel wheels make it a pain to load particuarly on a steel ramp, hence why i changed my twin over, i cant promie theres any but if there is youre welcome to them . otherwise mr c might have some.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:35pm
I couldnt separate the fan from the engine, so it will have to primed as one then masked for the top coats....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:39pm
Thanks, that will be great. I did think of Mr C, But he kinda fleeced me for a set of gaskets, charged me 45, then put on bay for 30!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:41pm
Some colour sure does make a difference!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version