Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Series 1 Rotary Hoes Gem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Darmic1

Thanks, that will be great. I did think of Mr C, But he kinda fleeced me for a set of gaskets, charged me 45, then put on bay for 30!
He can be like that, at least he actually agreed to sell them to you, in the past he has said to me, "ive got loads on the shelf but wont sell them to you as i may need them one day", more than once aswell.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:43pm
More painting, and what a pain masking the orange bits!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:44pm
Strange man!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:46pm

More painting, and what a pain masking the orange bits!
The worst pain for masking i find is the wheels, takes for ever if you want clean lines next to the tyres.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:48pm
Left the engine paint to harden for a day or 2 and got on with some other bits which needed prep, primer and paint....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:50pm
A tip for the wheels is to let them down, push the rubber back from the rim. Mask under the edge of the rim, prime and paint. Remove masking and reinflate the tyres! Works a treat....
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:53pm

A tip for the wheels is to let them down, push the rubber back from the rim. Mask under the edge of the rim, prime and paint. Remove masking and reinflate the tyres! Works a treat....
Probably would work well, but unfortunatley when i did mine i needed to do both sides of the rim at the same time as time was seriously agaisnt me, so the tyre would of stuck to one side or the other.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:54pm
Finally got the valve chamber back from engineering works. New guides fitted, degreased, primed and painted. Ground in the new valves. Its now ready to be refitted.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:56pm

Ah yes getting ready for TW.... and forgot You cant use 2k cos the thinners thing
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:01pm
Made new gasket for Oil Pump, Now refitted with a good seal of liquid gasket also...
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:13pm
Engine all but reassembled. Have left the head bolts loose as the head will need to come off again just to check the timing of the Mag is correct. Need to consult the book as couldn't get the timing right on the Series 2, It kept backfiring in the carb, Had some assistance with it in the end. It says set piston to TDC, wind back anti clockwise until piston is 3/8ths before TDC. Then set Mag so impulse is about to tension spring. Fit Mag and that should be it. It then goes on about setting valve clearances, But I just need for someone to check Ive got the timing right before I tighten up the head bolts, I dont want to flatten the gaskets as they are rather pricey.....

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:18pm
I usually reuse head gaskets on air cooled engines (unless they are badly damaged), just make sure everything is clean, then use a thin smear of blue hylomar(if its good enough for rolls royce to use on new engines, then its good enough for an old howard), never normally get a problem with headgaskets failing, and it could save you a fortune.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:25pm

The two I have done so far have been beyond reuse. They were almost in 2 pieces where they had stuck to the surfaces. I have kept an old one as I may see if I can get some manufactured, possibly? After all its only folded copper over a heat resistant sheet(asbestos type substance)

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:27pm
There allways used to be someone advertising the manufacture of gaskets in the back of stationary engine magazine.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:33pm
Ive found somewhere on the web who say they can reproduce any gasket? Haven't contacted them yet, but plan to later....
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 12:30pm
Gaskets to go are brilliant, they are run by a british guy, but are based in thailand
The more I work with petrols, the more I like diesels...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 4:03pm
You found me out! Stumbled across this company when looking for gasket supplies. They have a British Junior Gasket set shown on their website! As an unknown manufacturer. 
 Update: I have now emailed them with a view to having some made. Could be costly?
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:38pm
Ive had a look for wheels ive got a spare left hand wheel but no right,you are very welcome to it, i dont want anything for it, ive also got the number of a chap who is breaking a gem and has got a right hand one, i'll pm you mine and his number.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 5:46pm
Yes! Yes please. Thanks that is fantastic 
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:00pm

After a chat with Gareth at Tractor World, I was enlightened as to the failure of the delightful little bearing within the flywheel nut on a Gem..... I wasnt even aware that it was there, due to rust etc.... When I checked it, I found it to be seized solid. I would say I that If I never have to do this ever again It would be too soon! A day and a half of torture, It eventually gave up and admitted surrender, Its now in about 40 pieces, It had obviously been spinning within the nut and had almost melted itself to it. A new one has been ordered, although it will have to be secured using a bearing lock fluid as some of the surrounding metal has been worn away. The outer securing washer will also need replacing as its almost worn through. I have made a new one of these.

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:04pm
You must of been unlucky, everyone ive done after drilling out the center punch marks has just needed a light tap out, the last one was about 10 mins including the drilling time.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:13pm
The new clutch plate also arrived in the week. Here it is compared to the old worn plate..... The metal part having had the worst of the wear grooves removed..... All springs, sliders and bolts coated with Graphite grease before reassembly. I have now reassembled the clutch complete with new locking wire to secure the 3 clutch spring bolts.....
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:14pm
where do you get the locking wire from as i really struggled for it last time i did a clutch on one.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:16pm
Clutch now refitted to the gearbox....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 8:29pm
I have a Unimaster here and they sell it on a roll for 11 for yards of the stuff. Or for 0.35p per metre. can pick some up for you if you want and pop it in the post? 
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 1:50am
New Bearing fitted, didnt need to use any bearing lock, as the replacement was a snug fit. The new securing washer is now held in place with punch marks, next to the old ones.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 5:45pm
Thats the first ive ever seen with a securing washer.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 8:16pm
The one I took out was not a sealed bearing according to Berkshire Bearings. It was held in place by a washer and the punched marks. Their advice was to refit a sealed bearing of the same size and replace the damaged washer to protect the new bearing. The overal finish is exactly as before, just a working bearing
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 9:05pm
I have finally got around to restarting this project. Todays task was to remake the broken spacer plate for the magneto. Upon initial strip down found the original spacer in 3 pieces. My brother took some drawings I had done of a blank and had some roughly cut to spec. Here are some photo's.......
The Blank, The finished piece with the broken original, The refitted replacement and the final alignment with the camshaft.

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
Pleased youve restarted, if you need things like that again please just ask before you have them remade as i got one in my spares pile now after breaking a way to far gone gem, youre welcome to parts for the cost of the postage or for nothing if we are going to the same show any time if its any help to you, not everything is there but a fair bit is left.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 9:33pm
Ok, cheers Gareth, will bear that in mind. I have to say I quite enjoyed myself today, drilling, tapping, filing...... Quite satisfying! ahhhhhh..... the smell of hot steel and sound of man tools!
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 9:57pm
Why cant you Braze it? you can get Nickel rods to "Braze "cast iron I did my cast iron cylinder on my Atco mower this way, it was fine.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:23pm
Never tried brazing.......... It is broken where holes are drilled and threads are cut, might be a tad tricky?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 7:29pm
Have restarted the project again today after a break due to ill health. To recap the machine was complete apart from the engine which was removed and rebuilt. Thus the rest of the machine has been stripped down today, found a few not so pleasant suprises too....... The majority of the Gem came apart really easy, only managed to shear one tapered  bolt holding the side frame to the lower frame.
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by series1gem

where do you get the locking wire from as i really struggled for it last time i did a clutch on one.

I've always found wreath making wire ideal for jobs like this.

Andy.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version