Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Series 1 Rotary Hoes Gem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:57pm
I managed to get a costing today for the bearings and seals................ Deep breath taken........... 156 inclusive of VAT. Thats a local supplier
Just waiting for Standens to get back to me now after speaking to Keith
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 10:02pm
Are the berrings and seals on the 5's the same then or does keith do the early ones aswell?
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm
Hi there.
I have a box of bearings that came out of Howards a few years ago.
If you have the numbers I will check to see if I have them.
Regards
Chris
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:28am
Hi Gareth, not sure about seals and bearing fitting other models. Keith at Standens has now replied, only one seal held in stock, would seem from his email the other parts are no longer available to them.
Hi Chris, It would be fantastic if you have the bearings I'm after, let me know what you want for them and I will gladly send you the monies. Keith sent me alternative part numbers too, not sure if they will match what you have but they are as follows:
G299 Loose Hub Bearing             (251730061)
G300 Road Wheel Shaft Bearing  (251125061)
G451 Jackshaft Bearing               (251025071)  
Its really great people here offering help and spare parts, really appreciate it guys. Thanks....... 
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:35am
Picked up the repaired clutch shaft Thursday, They did a first class job! They machined the end down slightly to make it even and uniform, then made a steel sleeve 1/2 diameter and milled a hole the same size as the shaft. Which was then pressed onto the shaft.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:39am
Had a play with my new 'man' tool today...... Small shotblast cabinet!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 1:56am
However.......It all works fine except after about 20 minutes my compressor is running out of puff. Its an old '83' Ingersoll Rand, 30ltr, 1.5HP, 9cfm. That came from my old work, it had a pretty hard life there so its a bit tired. Have now bought a 3HP, 50ltr, 14.4cfm today, that should keep up, should be here in 48 hours.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 11:03pm
New Compressor arrived today..... gonna have a blast! It uses the same motor and pump as the 311.98 Clarke Raider from Machine Mart Just a different colour and a lot cheaper!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:53am
Will be very interested to know how well it works as I could do with a better compressor for blasting and other high air volume uses. Where did you get it from?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 12:29pm
Hi Charlie, I got it off the well known unmentionable auction site ,169 inclusive of postage. Should run most tools as its 14.4CFM, 50ltr and 3HP twin cylinder.....Had it running yesterday under no load just to run it in, get the oil all around the moving parts. Changed one of the two outlets so I can run both my old and new tools too. It is almost identical to the Clarke Raider model, selling in Machine Mart at over 310. This is more stable as it has twin rubber feet at the front, not the single. The motor and pump are identical so parts wont be a problem.....
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 9:40pm
Hi Darmic1
Looked through bearings in detail, but sadly none match your numbers.
Sorry, would have loved to help get the old girl running again.

May be worth trying John Cruse 01323 842477 The mower centre, Hailsham Sx.
as he had some of the consignment of Howard stuff, not sure if there were bearings in his lot. He is helpful and may put you on to someone else.

Chris
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 8:41am
If you take the old bearings to a good bearing stockist they should be able to match them to an equivalent bearing, unless they are an odd size.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:17pm
Hi Chris, thanks for looking. Guessed it would be a long shot, thankyou anyway.
Hi Charlie, I did go to a local bearing supplier, Berkshire Bearings and Transmissions, allways thought them to be expensive though. Guess 156 for 3 bearings and seals kinda proves that! My brother Mark uses a company called Bearing Boys, had a look on their website and they list all sorts so will need to get the vernier out and dusted off!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:23pm
Blasted the tank and a few control rods this afternoon. Not come up too bad. It will need a skim of filler to smooth the imperfections. 
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm
Hi Darren, ive found that knifing putty is the best stuff to use on the pitting in the tank, only about 3 quid from Halfords.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:41pm
ok will give it a go, thanks Gareth
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:46pm
Anothyer good think that i have noted from my motorbike restoration is use 2 part body filler thinned down with 2 pack paint thinners and thin the compound before you add the hardener so its almost as thin as grease or wallpaper paste

if not primer filler spraypaint, good stuff!!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:07am
Dismantled a chaincase assembly today, to see if the chain within was serviceable? Wondered why I couldnt turn the rotor drive assembly? Once the cover was off it all became clear............ How could that amount of soil get into "sealed" area???
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:20am
Ive seen them with lots of soil/baler tyne etc in but never quite that much! Shows how bomb proof these old girls are to carry on working long enough to get in that state!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:21am
Meant to say feel free to use any of the chain, cogs etc out of the part attached to the bar i gave you.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 11:25am
This is the one....... the chain wont move even with a tap or two from the hammer! It is well and truely rusted to the sprockets. The back plate and jackshaft case seem ok, the chaincase itself is holed and very thin all along the bottom edge, under the wear shoe. The wear shoe itself is beyond salvage, tin foil would be stronger! The good news is the bit I desperately needed, the lower frame bar is solid and came off fairly easy one I managed to extract the chain tensioner bolt.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:51pm
A bit more blasting today, Gearbox side plate, Air cleaner mount, Clutch lever, and R/H side oil seal housing. Even managed to get some primer on too.
IP IP Logged
bullfinch

Quote bullfinch Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:25am
Hi. Darmic 1. Love the look of your new project. I suspect your problem may well be piston rings siezed in the grooves. Worth a look anyway
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:59am
Made a big decision this morning..... Took the large parts, gearbox, frame, handlebars etc to be shot blasted this morning. After a short chat with the fellow have decided to get all parts except the fuel tank powder coated. Had a very good offer....... to strip, treat and powdercoat...........100.00. Its a no brainer! By the time I've stripped, etch primed and painted everything its going to have cost considerably more than that. Then there's the dust and mess.... not to mention only able to paint when its dry? Thats not likely to happen for a while!!! It means I can move the project on a lot quicker.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:01am
Hi Bullfinch! Welcome to the forum...... Problem was broken ring and corroded head, but thats all fixed now...... engine waiting for the rest of the project to catch up!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:57pm
Off to deepest darkest Essex this evening to look at a couple of gearboxes for my project. I need a replacement for my rather worn diff.... The planet gears have worn right through the back plate! Hopefully at least one of the donor boxes will be serviceable....... 
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:06pm
I would like to say thanks to a couple of forum members for their recent help with spares. Both S1G and Enginear have been invaluable. Without their help this project might not been viable. Thankyou!!!
If there are any Howard Gem or 350 owners who are after spares there is a chap in Epping who is looking to downsize. His name is Rob, and he can be contacted on 07963 228551. I hope this isn't seen as selling. Im just trying to help others. Its always handy to have a contact for those difficult bits out of production.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Darmic1

I would like to say thanks to a couple of forum members for their recent help with spares. Both S1G and Enginear have been invaluable. Without their help this project might not been viable. Thankyou!!!
If there are any Howard Gem or 350 owners who are after spares there is a chap in Epping who is looking to downsize. His name is Rob, and he can be contacted on 07963 228551. I hope this isn't seen as selling. Im just trying to help others. Its always handy to have a contact for those difficult bits out of production.
I'm only to pleased to help, if anyone is stuck then send me a pm and if ive got a spare then i'll send it your way.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:55pm
Bought back a Series 2 gearbox from Essex yesterday. The Diff in both Series 1 and 2 Gems are identical. Stripped out the diff cleaned and inspected it. Its in amazing condition. No wear and still shows the machining marks on the teeth. Also removed the small gear from between 2nd and 3rd gear as this runs on the diff. I dont want to damage the replacement diff using my worn gears.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:59pm
This is the forward gear assembly, partially stripped down to replace the small drive gear
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:09am
These are the reassembled gear groups. A final check that everything fits and works smoothly, before being refitted to the gearbox....... which is still at the powdercoaters.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 12:19am
Also got some work done on the fuel tank today. Treated the tank with Jenolite rust preventative. Once dried I applied a thin skim of P38 to smooth the light rust pitting, to fill 2 small dents in the end of the tank and 1 in the side. Sanded and then etch primed it.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:14pm
Rubbed the tank back today to remove a couple of minor imperfections, then applied the final (3rd) coat of etch primer. Its Smoooooth!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:18pm
Santa postman arrived BEARING gifts today, just waiting for one more and the gearbox case to come back from powder coating and I can start rebuilding it!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:19pm
And so the gasket making can begin.........
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version