Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Series 1 Rotary Hoes Gem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:58pm
Picked the parts from the powder coaters this morning. Orange magic has been performed. The colour match is spot on! Even better when the subject of folded paper came up...... 80 all in, that included having a cleat rewelded on one of the cast wheel. Can now start the reassembly......
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2012 at 8:15pm
Starting to look really good, its going to be a long time before mine gets to that stage, a bargin too!
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:08pm
Started the big reassembly today, made the rest of the gearbox gaskets. Cleaned off the small amount of miss-coating on the gasket surfaces. Retapped all the threads, just to clean them up. Refitted all the gears back into the box, that was interesting. You need 3 pairs of hands for that job! Only snag today was the clutch shaft oil seal has been supplied with the wrong internal diameter.

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:28pm
After reassembly turned all the shafts just to make sure they rotate freely. Discovered a possible problem with the shaft on which 1st,2nd and 3rd gears are mounted. The Air Cleaner mount sits over the bearing on which this group of gears sits. Once the mount is refitted the bearing goes tight. If you slacken the 3 mounting bolts it becomes free again? The bolts are the correct length and do not foul the bearing. I have noticed the bearing sits slightly proud of the housing. This is the original bearing as it is in good condition, The gears themselves are the originals, I only changed the diff drive gear. But that is identical to the original. I've taken it apart and reassembled 3 times now but the problem still persists! The solution I've come up with is to make 2 extra gaskets, and place them between the air cleaner mount and the gearbox case. Thus giving me the 1mm clearance needed.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:14pm

Collected some 2K paint for the tank and few other bits that couldn't be powder coated, and then got to work with the rattle can! These are 2K aerosols, they have the hardener in a seperate compartment within the can. The supplier mixes and fills the aerosol. When you want to use the paint you insert a ring, pull the pin which releases the hardener, shake vigorously for 5 minutes and then your ready to go! They go a long way too..... and will be useable for about 3 to 5 days, anything after that the paint hardens in the can. They're a bit more expensive than conventional rattle cans, but the paint is petrol resistant, is hard wearing and has a superior finish. One can has applied 4 coats to all the following parts, except the gearbox.......

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:20pm
Gearbox now ready for bits to be bolted on
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:22pm
Another selection of parts painted.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:24pm
The Wheels..... These are going to be fitted to move the machine, I dont fancy running the Steel wheels over the block drive!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:27pm
The fuel tank has come out amazingly good...... very smooth!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:35pm
For those Howard lovers who are restoring their machines. The colour is BS592 for the paint and RAL2OO1 for the powder coating. This picture shows both powder coat(frame) and paint(handlebar pivot), the colour match is spot on! It appears slightly lighter under the camera flash, but in daylight, there is no difference.

IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:10am
Looking fabulous!!!
Originally posted by Darmic1

These are 2K aerosols, they have the hardener in a seperate compartment within the can.

Where did you get the paint from, Sounds just like what I could do with.
Andrew
The more I work with petrols, the more I like diesels...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:10am
Hi Andrew, I get this paint from Automotive Paint Supplies. They do have other branches in the south, not sure how far up north they have stores? Most other car paint places should be able to do these, just ask? Its not the cheapest stuff, but it is very good. The cans are labelled Pro XL, they have an adjustable fan on the nozzle too so you can control the amount and width of spray pattern.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:25am
Made a little more progress today, got the frame mounted, refitted the starter dog. Also reassembled the Handlebars and the Control levers.......
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:04pm
Collected the new Key steel for the drive hubs today, was a bit annoyed that the actual cost was 3x the quote! Still needs must.....
Sat the tank ontop the frame today, looks nice.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:13pm

Didn't really spend anytime on the gem project today, had the other one to attend to. Its the first dry and fine day for nearly 4 weeks, when I've not been at work!

IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 5:44pm
Where do you get your nuts and bolts from? I can only find places that ask me for mortgage details.
I would love to build a good stock of N & Bs.

Phil
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:33pm
hi darmic  very impressed with your resto,thought i would tell you as only hard work and determination get that effect. Clap
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 8:47pm
Hi simar kid, thankyou for the comment! If its worth doing, its worth doing right! Thats my motto. This one doesnt really have a budget. It wont be going back in the dirt either......... well maybe once!
Hi Phil, we have a Unimaster nearby, I get all nuts, bolts, clips and hoses from them. Usually have most sizes metric and imperial in stock too!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:30pm
Hopefully this should make the project reappear?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2012 at 11:36pm
Ahhhhhhhhh, thats better. Weird, very weird???
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:12am
Thank God for that, I thought I was going to start my series 1 blind.
Tell you what Darren with all your work with this thread it would make a good project for you (if you don't have enough) to put this on a CD and I would gladly part with readies. It would mean that I could have a hard copy in the workshop for reference.
I think that could probably apply to all of us, I know when I tackled my Auto Culto I could have benefited with some hard copy reference to Johns project instead of down tools and back to the computer.

Phil
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:54pm
Thanks for that! Was relieved when Gareth managed to resurrect the post!!! I have thought about what to do next.... project wise. Always fancied a grey fergie......
Will be taking a break next week. I will be taking a heavily modified 1984 mini mayfair across Europe starting on Saturday evening. Mark, my brother and myself are taking this trip as a tribute to our brother Craig, who sadly and suddenly died from a massive heart attack last August. The boys did the trip last May raising money for a charity who've supported our mum. She suffers with Menieres disease which affects balance and usually results in deafnesss. Unfortunately the previous engine broke in spectacular fashion, snapping the crankshaft and breaking the main bearing journal! The guys were only 300 miles from home, having driven 2000+ miles in 4 1/2 days, through France, Switzerland, Italy to Monaco and Belgium on the return...... Camping on the journey. We will be doing the same this year except its just for fun!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 13 May 2012 at 12:58pm
I think youre going to need a bigger garage! Good luck with your trip, sounds great fun!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:51pm
Picked up the last of the powder coating today. Filed the new hub keys to a snug fit and refitted the hubs.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:54pm
Also test fitted the wheels, minus any tyres. Have yet to order those, something on the to do list.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:57pm
Refitted the clutch assembly.....
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:58pm
I don't speak of H&S much but I hope you know about 2K and Isocyanate content. I read on another forum that someone bought all the kit to spray there mini in 2K as someone reccomended and after 10 mins spraying he collapsed and the next thing he remembered was waking up in A&E on a nebuilizer (If that's how you spell it).

Just a word of warning, the only "safe" way of spraying 2K is in a spraybooth with an air fed mask.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:05pm
Also finished fitting the handlebar lock and gear and difflock control rods.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by charliesfergy

I don't speak of H&S much but I hope you know about 2K and Isocyanate content. I read on another forum that someone bought all the kit to spray there mini in 2K as someone reccomended and after 10 mins spraying he collapsed and the next thing he remembered was waking up in A&E on a nebuilizer (If that's how you spell it).

Just a word of warning, the only "safe" way of spraying 2K is in a spraybooth with an air fed mask.

I do my painting in a very well ventilated garage...... and wear a mask!
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:24pm
Does the mask say "Safe for isocyanates" because i bought a pack from ebay a year or so ago and it said in the listing it was safe for iso paint and it clearly said on the filter NOT FOR ISO PAINT USE!

the gem is looking top of the range though!!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:54pm
I usually pick up the masks from the paint suppliers, so I guess they're giving me the correct ones as they know what they're supplying....
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Darmic1

I usually pick up the masks from the paint suppliers, so I guess they're giving me the correct ones as they know what they're supplying....
Ive allways been told that the only correct mask to use with 2 pack is a positive pressure airfed mask, however i doubt with the small amount of the stuff that you are using that any real harm will be done. It has to be remembered though that 2 pack is a sensitiser i.e the more you are exposed to it the less your body is able to tolerate it, just ask some old sprayers.
I must admit that your gem is comming on fantastically, bet it will only be a few weeks before the old girl fires up, I think it will be a long time till mine gets to this stage.
IP IP Logged
Thomas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Thomas Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:05pm
Is now concerned at the amount of 2Pack I have sprayed with only the standard mask... mind you That could explain a lot
Dead
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 9:13pm
thomas i hope that you are aware that there is cianide in the two pack formula,and a mask like gareth is recomending is the only way to go. if you feel unwell go and get medical help asap and tell them about your painting  etc.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 May 2012 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by simar kid

thomas i hope that you are aware that there is cianide in the two pack formula,and a mask like gareth is recomending is the only way to go. if you feel unwell go and get medical help asap and tell them about your painting  etc.
  forgot to say that if you are suffering from nausia or stomach pains drowsyness or disorientation the test for cianide poisoning is either blood sampling or taking hair from your head and also taking samples of your finger nails as these parts are good for testing.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version