Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Series 1 Rotary Hoes Gem Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 8:35am
What can you say to this.....methodical, precise, intense organised restoration!!

Accumulating in an impressive result....speechless now!

Titch
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 10:58pm
Hi Titch, I like your style......I'm most amused today! Thanks for the comment! Will email you.......
IP IP Logged
Predator65
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Predator65 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:50pm
Hi Darmic1

I just wanted to say what a fabulous job you have done with your restoration on this machine,great job,all the pictures you have uploaded of the progress are invaluable to a newbie like myself,I'm far from bringing my Gem back to this stage but I have a great deal  of motivation and eagerness now I can see how you have gone about your project.
If mine turns out half as nice as yours I'll be overjoyedBig%20smile

Regards

Tel
God Im such a Needy Child!
IP IP Logged
Martinh
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martinh Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 5:29pm
When you gonna start rotavating then ? 
Martin. The Village Idiot
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 9:37pm
Still not finished yet...... Needs a new rotor cover, my brother Mark has that in hand, a new set of tines, a rear flap, wear shoe and possibly one or two minor bits and bobs.
Then it needs a large dose of Courage! Not the beer, from me...... Swinging the handle for the first time fills me with a little fear. Its not been run for many years prior to the restoration. Its been down to nuts and bolts too. Have i got it right, are all the new parts going to work? Will it all end up with a big expensive bang??? Who knows. I will go over it all meticulously before I swing that handle........
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 9:45pm
I wouldnt worry as your other one ran very nicely.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:00pm
Yeah Im sure it will be fine (Eyes, Fingers, Arms, Legs all crossed)
Just imagine explaining to the insurance if it runs into the car??? I was hit by a large orange garden machine that failed to stop........
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:41pm
Picked up the engine oil today. The BJ engine manual says to use Castrol XL, made a quick on the web and the modern equivilent is SAE30. Multigrade 20w/50 is acceptable according to most the vintage car and motorcycle sites I checked. This machine was completely stripped and all parts washed in parts wash solution. The parts were only lightly coated with oil during reassembly. Starting this up with little or no lubrication could possibly damage moving parts. Below is the method I use to bleed/prime the Lubrication system. I filled the Oil tank up to the return tube then opened the tap. I then loosened each of the unions on the oil pump until oil could be seen at each union. Once I had oil at the pump I then went to the Oil filter. I undid the lower union and filled this tube with oil and reconnected it to the filter. I then undid the bolt on the end of the Oil filter, tipped the machine forward and used a funnel to fill the Oil filter. Replace the bolt and tip the machine back, go to the Start handle. Lift the Decompressor lever and wind the Start handle briskly. Oil should almost immediately be seen returning to the tank.  This method ensures oil is forced onto the bearings and other moving parts as soon as the machine is started.
The Gearbox oil arrived also today, Mail order SAE90 (EP free) as no one local could help me. Not cheap at 33 for 5 litres, but would rather not have problems later. 6 pints go into the Gearbox of a Gem.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:48pm

I tried to start it this afternoon but soon discovered a lack of spark! Strange as it had spark just over a week ago. Further investigation revealed the points had opened up, obviously not tightened the screw enough...... Points adjusted to 0.25, screw tightened..... We have spark again, Phew!!! Just need fuel now?

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 7:54pm
TongueClapI'm most amused today!Big%20smileOh Yes!!!TongueClapI'm most amused today!Big%20smile It runs!!!

Cant show you a video just yet, needs a little tweak or two to sort the idle and free running. Its too late to do that now, dont want to upset the neighbours....
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by Darmic1

Picked up the engine oil today. The BJ engine manual says to use Castrol XL, made a quick on the web and the modern equivilent is SAE30. Multigrade 20w/50 is acceptable according to most the vintage car and motorcycle sites I checked. This machine was completely stripped and all parts washed in parts wash solution. The parts were only lightly coated with oil during reassembly. Starting this up with little or no lubrication could possibly damage moving parts. Below is the method I use to bleed/prime the Lubrication system. I filled the Oil tank up to the return tube then opened the tap. I then loosened each of the unions on the oil pump until oil could be seen at each union. Once I had oil at the pump I then went to the Oil filter. I undid the lower union and filled this tube with oil and reconnected it to the filter. I then undid the bolt on the end of the Oil filter, tipped the machine forward and used a funnel to fill the Oil filter. Replace the bolt and tip the machine back, go to the Start handle. Lift the Decompressor lever and wind the Start handle briskly. Oil should almost immediately be seen returning to the tank.  This method ensures oil is forced onto the bearings and other moving parts as soon as the machine is started.
The Gearbox oil arrived also today, Mail order SAE90 (EP free) as no one local could help me. Not cheap at 33 for 5 litres, but would rather not have problems later. 6 pints go into the Gearbox of a Gem.....
You should of said, ive just had a delivery of 2x 5ltr containers of high quality sae 90 at less than half of that, in future if you want it try contacting forest lubricants in the forest of dean. They also do good quality sae 30, i dont hesitate to recomend them as years back we got nearly half a million miles out of a car run on their oil and then sold it for the engine!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Darmic1

TongueClapIm%20most%20amused%20today!Big%20smileOh Yes!!!TongueClapIm%20most%20amused%20today!Big%20smile It runs!!!

Cant show you a video just yet, needs a little tweak or two to sort the idle and free running. Its too late to do that now, dont want to upset the neighbours....
bet youre well chuffed, look forward to seeing the video.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:17pm
Hi Gareth, Yup! still got that silly grin...... Really pleased, it started on the 1st swing of the handle...... Didnt let it rev up too much though as it was after 6pm and didnt want any agro with the nutcase on the end! 
Re the oil.... doh! the stuff I got is called liquid gold or something like that....
the SAE30 was only 10 for 5ltrs locally....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:56pm
Heres a short video of it running for only the 2nd time. Still needs a tiny bit of adjustment as it "hunts" a little when on full revs..... Want to let it run a bit more before fine tuning.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 10:20pm
I received a small package in the post today. Some fantastic decals supplied by forum member Titch...... The man is a Legend. These decals really set it off! As his tag line says "Restorations Final Touch" Thankyou again!
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 8:44am
What can I say Darren.....
They just compliment your stunning restoration.

If I had neighbours and they moaned about any noise from this restoration, I'd run over them with that Gem!  How can any human being not appreciate it's authenticity and quality!

No,.. I Thank You!!
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 8:01am
Darren, can you just take some long shots of the full machine, as they say in the trade, full frontal, side, back and front, then I can do the final print of your superbe project and bind it ready for when the time comes around for me to start my Gem.

Phil 
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 8:38am
Hi Phil, as soon as it all finished there will be plenty of full photo's!!! Still not quite there. Have yet to reassemble the back end. Rotors, covers and Chaincase......
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:15pm
Did a little bit more over the weekend, Got the Spade lugs painted.....Not quite original I know, but its better than leaving freshly shot blasted bare metal to the elements.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 11:23pm
Parcels and Post today, The new blades, wear shoe and rear flap from Standens, I think the green will have to go! The new fuel tap arrived too from a company called Woolies Trim, new tap on the right.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 12:05pm
Got the old nipple sweated off the fuel pipe this morning. Soldered the new one in place and then fitted the new tap and refitted fuel pipe.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 12:16pm

I also rectified the problem with the clutch operating rod. It appears that the rod had been shortened on the threaded section during its life. This meant that once the clutch shaft was repaired and the clutch was in its correct position. The clutch lever no longer reached the operating rod. My solution was to cut a piece of flat steel, Drill a hole at one end to attach the clutch arm, and drill several smaller holes to connect to the operating rod. The extra holes will allow for adjustment of the clutch plate as it wears.
IP IP Logged
the pig
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote the pig Replybullet Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:35am
Im one of the luckey 1 I have heard this machine running it sounds lovley Darmic 1 as done a wonderful jod I dont think this machine will see any digging as it such a wonderfull machine it looks like its just fresh out the show roomWinkClapThumbs%20UpWacko
eddie the howard lover
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2012 at 10:58pm
Had a bit of dirt from the fuel tank cause some rough running, This particular Gem doesnt have a fuel filter fitted in the tank, so I decided to buy some very fine woven brass mesh. I cut it to size and made a tube, soldered the tube together and added a bottom....... Once fitted into the tube where the tap is mounted on the tank I should have no more dirty fuel problems!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 8:04am
Very neat job, should do the trick.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 6:51pm
Hi Charlie, lets hope so! Eventhough I cleaned the tank thoroughly, I was still getting grit and dirt clogging the tap and carb. Engine would run for pethaps 5, 10 minutes then cut out. Kept finding a dry carb, no fuel running through the pipe. Perhaps I should have got some of the tank sealer?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2012 at 11:23am
Have finally managed to source a good, non dented fuel cap, taken about a year! But I finally have a matching pair!!! All chained onto the tank...... I have also contacted a company with regards to having these caps reproduced......
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 11:05pm
Started stripping down a 2nd BJ Engine today. With the view to having a complete ready to run spare, just incase something bad ever happens.
One of the valve guides is as new with no play, the other on the otherhand.....
Well, this is what I found behind the valve!  The remains of the valve guide!!!Valve is also broken at the collett groove. Luckily I have spare valves and at least one good valve guide. Might see how much these are to reproduce as it might be worth having a couple of spares.
IP IP Logged
Rose's Dad
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Rose's Dad Replybullet Posted: 25 Feb 2013 at 9:08pm
Looking forward to more updates. I have seen your machines on you tube. Make a lovely job. Nice decals ;-) [IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />

No I mean fantastic job.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:12pm
Thankyou Rose's Dad, I will post up the most recent updates........
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:17pm
Have been absent for a little while, fighting some inner demons which left me unable to face life in general. Thankfully am feeling much more myself now and getting back to normal and back into this project. To those of you who have tried to contact me, I am sorry for not replying, I am getting around to you, so please be patient.......
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:26pm
I have finally found someone locally who can weld cast, have had the spare valve chambers welded where they were cracked. This shows a repaired valve chamber, crack and with a new exhaust sleeve welded into place.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:36pm
This is the 2nd of 3 damaged valve chambers to have been welded. This one will be painted and reassembled ready to go on the 2nd BJ engine I am currently working on. This engine will be a complete spare for the series 1, restored totally and placed in a homemade crate just incase anything ever happens to the original. That way I can just swap over the engines and still have a working exhibit.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:41pm
Grinding in the valves....... Inlet and then Exhaust.......
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 10:48pm
Also have a company machineing some new valve guides. These engines seem to suffer from a lack of valve lubrication, resulting in excessive wear and some spectacular failures as seen in the earlier photo's. I have a valve in the garage which has snapped just prior to the valve head, its then been welded back together not very well, and been put back together, been run and worn the guide oval!
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 11 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version