Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: 1972 Mowett Mustang Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 9:01pm
No problem, good luck with your restoration
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 9:11pm

Hi Jspurlock

I guess the pulleys will be easy to get new ones, they are pretty standard things. The last ones I had for a machine (a Wheelhorse as it happens) turned out to be standard size and then the company just drilled out the centres to the correct shaft diameter.

Tyres though will be harder to get. As you know they are hard rubber that is bonded around a pressed steel centre. Some Mustangs had optional (and highly recommended!) pneumatic tyres although I don't know what they were like, mine just had the hard rubber ones.

Alan
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 12:43pm
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/grd/1431975325.html
here is my mustang i am selling.it is all original except for the clutch peddles
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2010 at 11:01pm
if you want decals for the engines type briggs decal into ebay and it will bring up some from the usa very reasonably priced
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 6:14am
Just came across a mowette mustang in Austalia!. The owner was nice enough to give it to me. I figured out later on as i was pulling the spark plug out that the engine was full of water, and would need a complete rebuild. Im in the middle of doing that now and looking forward to restoring this little beauty. Ill try and get some photos up soon.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 10:56am
will lok forward to seeing them
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 5:05am
finally got around to uploading these photos of my mustang. different sticker to the other mustangs on this forum?green painted motor? all is original as far as i can tell.motor was full of water unfortunately. from years of sitting in the weather.   
IP IP Logged
nwales1
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote nwales1 Replybullet Posted: 07 Feb 2010 at 6:12pm
These Mowett Mustangs were exhibited at the Anglesey Vintage Rally in May 2009.  They belong to Vic Tolhurst from Amlwch, Anglesey, who was the Horticultural Steward.

Jean
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:22pm
i have an old mowett, can anyone tell me where i can get a choke cable for it
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:23pm
what year is yours, mines identical but i have no idea, my email is kbergmann1002@yahoo.com. thank you
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:39pm
Hi
on the side of the engine, just above the exhaust the will be three codes,
engine model engine type and engine number. it is the first two digits of the engine number that give the year
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:44pm
thank you, its a 72 i guess
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:45pm
need tires and choke cable, any ideas?
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 08 Feb 2010 at 8:48pm
what carb has it got. most briggs dont have a choke cable but the throttle cable also operates the choke
as for tyres, what size are they and are they pnumatics or solid rubbers
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:31pm
Found some US adverts for the Mustang:

IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2010 at 9:59pm
_popupControl(); looks like they upped the anti with the 1979 model alan !!! it got the 8hp b&s engine !!!
Kim. He's not a newbie, just a well preserved secondhand model
IP IP Logged
jonny7995
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jonny7995 Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 6:54pm

I just bought an 8hp Mustang off e**y, seems to be in amazing condition, and a bargain price of 47!!!! I will add pics as soon as I get it and start to restore it. I can't believe I got it so cheap! I have been looking for ages and sometimes, don't ask me why, they go for silly money.

IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 7:04pm
Well done, 47 is not dear, good luck with the restoration !!
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
jonny7995
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jonny7995 Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 8:08pm
Thanks, I will add pics when I get it at the weekend (when I have sussed out how!)
IP IP Logged
jonny7995
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jonny7995 Replybullet Posted: 15 Mar 2010 at 8:52pm
Well, I got the little Mustang home, 200 mile round trip took me 7 hours!!! (they shut the A14 - fantastic!).
I also saw another one on e**y (just like buses!), so I bid on it an won it, 77!!, so now I have 2.
They are both 8hp models with rear differentails. The first one was bought from a guy who actually races lawnmowers, and he showed me his racing mower. I must say that they are quite heavilly modified to race, although the engine has to stay original.
Anyway he had welded 2 short pieces of tube to the front axle to carry the front steering arms as they had worn with use. It looks like a good upgrade and I will probably do the same to the second Mustang when I  get it.
I also bought 2 litres of yellow Hammerite smooth paint which I intend to use on the bonnet/seat etc. I seems to be a reasonable match and is definately the easiest option as far as paint prep goes.
I now I said it already but I will put some pics on as soon as I can.

Jonny
IP IP Logged
Deadeye

Quote Deadeye Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:05am
I'm happy to see there is still interest in these mowers. It's spring, so I'm going to attempt to do something to mine. It's just sitting there.
IP IP Logged
Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:08am
I just found this on Craiglist.

https://post.craigslist.org/slc/S/atq/none/x/jcjMzLLfyBG30l6d/YvbXm
IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 8:55pm
Hi there jspurlock and welcome to the forum i tried to see you link but was unable to follow this !!! but can tell that its a advertising site for salt lake city and the surrounding areas maybe you can paste the pictures of the machine advertised !! i hope you enjoy your time on the forum and look forward to may more posts in the future !!!
regards kim
IP IP Logged
Chunk
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Chunk Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
Just got myself a Mustang too!  First post here too!
I think Alan will agree with me here, just got the thing for 0.99.  I kid you not. 

Only problem is Im in Scotland, and its in the South of England.  I'll sort something out.  Always wanted one of these, but they always went for alot more than I wanted to pay.  This on the other hand went rediculously cheap.

Anyway, Im gonna restore it on the most part probably, but use go kart wheels and tyres instead.
 Its got a 5hp Briggs, which doesnt run.  Will do once Im done though.

That's all I gotta say right now, later guys!

If It Ain't Broke, You Ain't Driving It Hard Enough
IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:26pm
Well done chunk thats a great buy !!! pity it so far away but im sure that you will get it sorted out somehow !!!! any way welcome to the forum and hope you keep it touch and updated on the progress of this machine !!!!
P.s. im based in Norfolk and im going to Brighton next week don,t know if this could be of use to you !!!
IP IP Logged
Chunk
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Chunk Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm
Well, I have a friend of mine from youtube picking it up and storing it for me.  It just so happened that the mower was really close to him.  Im planning to go down to Gloucestershire to see some old friends in the summer, Was thinking of maybe going down to East Sussex then to pick it up.  Still a long long way though.  Anyone tried posting one of these?  I shouldnt think it would cost too much, then again it could be insane.

I was looking at putting a 3 speed onto it to.  Used 1st for cutting, and 2nd / 3rd for cruising along my lawn ;)  Cant wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for your offer too, Although I still think it would be out of my way.  Appreciate it though!
IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 4:31pm
no worries i kinda guessed you would have it covered !!! good luck with the mustang !!!!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:49pm
try the pallet carriers usually about 45- 50
IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 6:57pm
I would think that it would be the cheapest way !!!! especially with the price of diesel !!!!
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 08 Apr 2010 at 11:09pm
unless really local these days i just dont have time to run round the country so if its a long way off i say to people if they are unable to put it on a pallet i cant buy, sure sometimes you miss out but usually people will help, with a vechile thats big enough to move something like we collect think how soon you would use 50 worth of diesel? I know this only to well at the moment as i'm without a car scince it blew up and am using the works nissan cabstar, problem is its only doing about 20 mpg on the country lanes where i live- ouch!
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:53am
Hello Chunk

Yes the Mustang looks like a bargain to me!

Not sure where you will be able to source the missing wheel from but I'm quite sure that there will be similar wheels available so there's the possibility of just getting a new front pair that look ok.

Looks a good project anyway, I'll be interested to see it when it's all finished!

Just out of interest where abouts in Scotland are you?

---------

I did look up Mustang Mowers on our favourite auction website and there were three sold recently including this one. But one seller was also selling a Pacemaker mower by john Harston Ltd of Norwich.

This Pacemaker appears to be almost mechanically identical to the Mustang apart from a different bonnet and handlebars instead of a steering wheel. Same type of chassis, seat, seat support, gearbox and chain drive, same wheels etc. Different mower deck and engine support though.

Anybody know anything about this company??

Alan

IP IP Logged
Chunk
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Chunk Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 3:29pm
Alan: That Pacemaker is cool!  What site was that on?  Pretty cool.

I'll look into a courier.  As I think I said, time is no issue for me.  Still waiting on the guy to email back though!  Just got his phone number from e**y so I'll give him a phone.

My car sips petrol usually anyway, but even with a 1 litre, it'll still cost just as much as a courier I would think.  My Father used to have a 4.7l V8 Cherokee.  Your 20mpg seems good compared to the 12 he got on a good day!  It sure moved though
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 5:54pm
I can definitely remember Harstons supplying my late father with horticultural machinery/parts, but none of the few invoices I have left are from them. Can't find any reference in old Kelly's but haven't got later than 1922!. Nothing on the net either.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Chunk

Alan: That Pacemaker is cool!  What site was that on?  Pretty cool.

I'll look into a courier.  As I think I said, time is no issue for me.  Still waiting on the guy to email back though!  Just got his phone number from e**y so I'll give him a phone.

My car sips petrol usually anyway, but even with a 1 litre, it'll still cost just as much as a courier I would think.  My Father used to have a 4.7l V8 Cherokee.  Your 20mpg seems good compared to the 12 he got on a good day!  It sure moved though
but to go from 50 to 20 is a bit of a shock
IP IP Logged
Chunk
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Chunk Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:34pm
Anyone know of a reliable, fairly cheap courier that would handle a mower like this?  Really not sure where to start looking.  It;s being collected this sunday.  So hopefully I should be able to find out it's weight from my friend down south too.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version