Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: potato ridging Post Reply Post New Topic
ade1982
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote ade1982 Replybullet Topic: potato ridging
    Posted: 24 Apr 2011 at 8:03pm

Finally managed to finish the ridging with the twin ridger and reversible trusty what a difference compared to the single it seriously saved some time and pain. One question for those who have used it do you let it floar free on the draw bar or bolt it up tight like you would a plough

IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:10am
Certainly turn out well, Trusty done a good job. Looks dry like my garden could do with a shower.  I suppose the dog was a big help.
IP IP Logged
farmers boy 2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote farmers boy 2 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 10:19am
Hi ade great to see that some one else had a play with there trusty and twin ridger, i may of interpreted your question wrongly but hear goes !! I levelled the frame up and tightened the bolts up that hold the frame to the drawbar so it did not swivel and then set the drawbar stops so there was 3 holes clear from each side of the drawbar whilst its in the centre.

hope this makes sence i will try to add pictures !!!

also so not sure if its the correct thing to do but i set the ridgers to there narrowest setting for the splits then widen them up for closing them so it leaves plenty of solid ground to help keep the ridges straight !!!

ps i only realised that after i had done mine !!! but some kind bloke said that i could get more in a crooked row !!!
Kim. He's not a newbie, just a well preserved secondhand model
IP IP Logged
ade1982
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote ade1982 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:42pm
yes thanks you did fm2 i put the frame level once the wheel had dropped into the furrow then did the bolts up like the plough but wasnt sure if that was right i thought the higher side would probaly not go down properly if it wasnt done up and was lose. I tried at the end on the last two lines to split then fill once the spuds where layed down and what i think ill do next time is leave them wide to start and then make it narrower by moving them to the inside of the frame by doing this i think the wheels would have more to sit on and not try falling off
IP IP Logged
trev iow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote trev iow Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 8:37pm
for wide , flat top ridges set the mouldboard in as far.as you can.in theory you should then be able to drive along the top of the ridges to split them back.........easier said than done!if you dont get the rows straight from the start it will be almost impossible to split them back properly
treviow
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 9:08pm
 i see that the hose pipe ban has not reached your part of the world yet, ade
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Myosotis
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Myosotis Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 8:16am
Nice ridges, have you had a look at the video of planting potatoes on my allotment
To look click on the link below

Thanks Jack

Myosotis
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version