Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: SISIS Turf Aerator Post Reply Post New Topic
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote Charlie Replybullet Topic: SISIS Turf Aerator
    Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:27pm
Bought today at Newbury vintage sale. SISIS model S2 Turf Aerator.
IP IP Logged
Flatcat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Flatcat Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:17pm
Nice buy!

There is one of these coming up for auction near me, which I might go for, although the handle looks non original.

Is your handle the original one, and I pressume the wheels aren't!

Damon
IP IP Logged
sten
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote sten Replybullet Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm
So thats what its for, I was given this about 2 years ago and I presumed it was part of a set from a much bigger machine.

IP IP Logged
hdtrust
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hdtrust Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 1:11am
These airators are for taking out perifial compaction out of small areas on sports fields not for domestic lawns.Charlie yours dates to late 1960's to mid 70's with those wheels
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 3:15pm
The handle is original as it has the SISIS plate on it, I guess it is missing th ewooden handle across the top. I also assume the wheels are original. Not too bad for a tenner.
The makers plate has patent number 441768 and a search of the patents website reveals the patent dates from 1934.
IP IP Logged
hdtrust
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hdtrust Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:37am
If the Patent is 1934,then it cannot have been taken out by Sisis!
Sisis took over another company called Smith's years later than that
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 12:04pm
True the patent is inthe name of W Hargreaves & Co of Chester. On the SISIS website is a photo showing a W Hargreaves see http://www.sisis.co.uk/2008/01/05/75-years-of-innovation/?phpMyAdmin=m2Rvw-r0O7hHdLKBbqJCPRBRdk0
IP IP Logged
Web2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Web2 Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2011 at 8:51pm
Charlie
I sent this article in to the Cultivator, probably near the end of 2007 regarding a SISIS that was shown at our Rally in the Oswestry Showground that year.

SISIS (as written in 2007)
William Hargreaves founded the SISIS Company in 1932, and his two grandsons are now Joint Managing Directors.   In the early days, SISIS were looked upon as pioneers of mechanical aeration and scarification techniques and over the years have built up an enviable reputation for innovation, rugged, long-lasting machinery and personal service.   SISIS equipment is used at all the top sporting venues including Wembley, Wimbledon, St Andrews, Murrayfield to name but a few, and small sports clubs the length and breadth of the country.   They also export world wide.   SISIS head office and manufacturing base is at Hurdsfield, Macclesfield, Cheshire SK10 2LZ. (based upon information from the SISIS catalogue).

IAN MORRIS of Whittington, Nr Oswestry, Shropshire, is a Committee Member of the Institute of Groundsmanship, Shropshire Branch, and brings the IOG Mobile Unit to the Clwyd Veteran and Vintage Machinery’s Oswestry Vintage Rally each year.   This year he and another member, Dominic Thompson, brought along a variety of machines including the SISIS Solid Tyne 4” Spiker shown in the photograph here.   This has been dated as 1937 by the SISIS Company themselves and is owned by Ian Morris.   The modern SISIS spiker has the same spring loaded assembly, but the smallest version made today is 4 ft (not 4 inches as in the original!) to be towed behind a compact tractor.

PHOTOGRAPH
1     Ian Morris photographed with the SISIS Spiker, standing outside the Institute of Groundsmanship Mobile Unit.

IP IP Logged
Flatcat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Flatcat Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 7:22am
Originally posted by Flatcat

There is one of these coming up for auction near me, which I might go for, although the handle looks non original.

Damon

This one at my auction is complete with the original handle, but bad news.

The auction house had put it in the 'scrap metal and junk' lot, which means I would also have to buy about 6 busted wheelbarrows, a large rusty platform truck, pallets, bent dexion shelving, bent oil drums, and goodness knows what elseCry

I just hope that whoever buys the lot saves it

Damon
IP IP Logged
Philipagri
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Philipagri Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 8:11am

I suggest you go along to the auction and watch carefully who buys the lot. Then offer him a bit of cash for the Sisis.

Don't you agree Charlie!
Philip
IP IP Logged
Flatcat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Flatcat Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:34pm
Well the auction is next week, and I may just buy the lot as I would like the platform truck to restore as a project, and well, you can't have too many spare wheelbarrow wheels!

Luckily I have an empty garage that I can store the scrap metal in until I think what to do with it!

Damon
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:54pm
weigh it in before the price drops. I got  £150 for a little 106 pug collected a couple of weeks back, only gave £400 for it 2 years previous so had 2 years motoring for £250. Not bad me thinks!
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:19am
Thanks for info, the one at Oswestry is very similar to mine.
IP IP Logged
Flatcat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Flatcat Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:46am
Originally posted by series1gem

weigh it in before the price drops. I got  £150 for a little 106 pug collected a couple of weeks back, only gave £400 for it 2 years previous so had 2 years motoring for £250. Not bad me thinks!

Perhaps I will, although I can't image there's much money in wheelbarrows and oil drums, but anything I get back towards the ost of the lot will help I suppose (that's if I get it!Wink)

Damon
IP IP Logged
Flatcat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Flatcat Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:24pm
I don't believe it. Between the catalogue being available, and viewing of the auction, the now said lot has been disposed of!Cry

They obviously thought they'd cash it in before giving us the chance to bid for it Ouch

I hope those sisis machines aren't rare

Damon
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version