Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: BMB cultmate Post Reply Post New Topic
rachel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote rachel Replybullet Topic: BMB cultmate
    Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 2:06pm
Hi, my BMB cultmate has had it's 2 main drive wheels for the flat belt replaced with a pair alloy 3 grove pullies by the previous owner, the pully on the drive shaft is not a good fit and wobbles, this has damaged the key way in the shaft and made it a bit sloppy.

I am thinking of stripping the shaft out of it's housing and getting a new keyway machined in it and a new pully that fits correctly.

Is it difficult to remove the shaft ?

my other option is to replace the original flat belt pullies which I have, as they are a perfect fit, but... does the flat belt pully work as well ?

I would rather put the flat belt pullies back an keep it original but the previous owner said they didn't work as well.

the machine is going to be used hard it is not for a show piece.
could anyone tell me what the belt dimentions are so I could get one made?

thanks in advance.

regards rachel
facts are meaningless....they can be used to prove anything (Homer Simpson)
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 3:11pm
Hi Rachel,
for the amount of power involved, the flat belt should be fine. You can always use a little belt dressing to improve the grip.

As regards the keyway, it depends how badly damaged it is - you could file the keyway square and then make a stepped key, as an alternative to removing the shaft from teh housing and re-machining.

Jim.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 4:15pm
When i had a customer on a limited budget with a pulley (it was actually a centifugal clutch) that had been run lose on the output shaft of an engine and in turn had damaged the shaft and bore and key way very badly, what i did at his request was to make the worst of the shaft back up with plastic metal, then i drilled and tapped the pulley to take a couple of grubscrews, then i got a piece of oversized key steel and ground a tapper with a bench grinder, after applying loctite berring retainer to the shaft, I hit the key steel home, tightened up the grubscrews and left to set for 24hrs.
I know that five years later when the machine was stolen that this repair was still holding up well, total out lay was about a tenner in materials and less than 2 hrs labour.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
rachel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote rachel Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 6:59pm
Still hoping some one out there could give me the dimensions of the flat drive belt for the BMB cult mate as I need to get one made up and as there seems to be a lot of movment in the clutch arrangment its not easy to work out the length.

regards rachel
facts are meaningless....they can be used to prove anything (Homer Simpson)
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version