Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
2011 ARCHIVE
 VHGMC ForumsForum Archive2011 ARCHIVE
Message Icon Topic: Anzani oil and discs Post Reply Post New Topic
dads mowers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote dads mowers Replybullet Topic: Anzani oil and discs
    Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 11:09pm
Here is my anzani i have finally got to run.
Its got the Jap 5 engine. When you check the engine oil level do you read the dipstick with the cap screwed in or resting on the spout? Either way it need filling up. Does anyone know what modern oil the engine could run on? The gearbox needs topping up as well. Same question, which oil could the gearbox use?
The next image is a disc configuration i've put together. Did the discs originally just use the 1 bar carrying frame or should they be mounted on the full rectangular carrying frame?
Next question, does anyone have a description of the missing 'stop' off my reversable plough? the next picture shows where a the piece is missing. There is a bolt that is sheared off with the nut still on in the centre of the picture
IP IP Logged
lawnmowerboy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lawnmowerboy Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:54am
good pics you need any good sae 30 or 50 oil and for the record iv never had a prolblem in a jap with the thicker oil!

for the gearbox if it has bronze in it steer well clear of the EP (extreme pressure) as the additives in it eat away at the bronze so use some old fashioned non EP sae 90 or 140 or something thats what i have in the trusty trduction gears
Grow old, not up!!!
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:12am
Unusual bonnet you have on that one. Does it look to be original?
Andrew
IP IP Logged
steve.woollas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve.woollas Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:15pm
The recommended oil for the JAP5 engine is SAE30. Do not use a modern multigrade as she will be prone to knocking the big end out. Oil level is taken with filler cap/dipstick screwed home. Fill to a level half way between min and max as a full to max level will usually through oil up past rings and cause excessive smoke even with a new engine.
Gearbox is ex Ford 8/10 car so you may be able to follow up in an old Ford manual--Steve
IP IP Logged
dads mowers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote dads mowers Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 11:29pm
Thanks for all the advice.
The chap who i obtained the anzani from had the bonnet made but it was never fitted. I stuck it on as my 3 year old grandson, who follows me about like a little dog, has a habit of sticking his hands in where he shouldn't. I'm hoping to pick up an original at Chertsey
Martin
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version