Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: My stuff Post Reply Post New Topic
pauldg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote pauldg Replybullet Topic: My stuff
    Posted: 02 Sep 2011 at 11:00pm
I seem to have had a fairly productive weekend.

I went and got this ('scuse the mess)

It came with a box of bits but it's not quite complete. After a little look over it, the list of missing bits so far is:
Tyres,
Fuel cap,
Carb,
Cutting bar.

Well, I can't complain too much for 1.70 now can I? Wouldn't mind knowing the year though (hinty hintWink)

After I cleaned the points I even found a spark! But then I lost it in the pile of stuff you can see in the picture... (ok, I actually snapped the wire from the points to the coil but haven't dug out the soldering iron yet) I'm probably going to stick a strimmer/chainsaw carb on to play with  as a temp measure.

I also picked up a Toro Snow Husky snowblower - I've never seen one of these in the metal before. Google doesn't know much either, except it looks the same as the snowpup. This seems to be one of those sparkless motors too...

I got a Rawlplug electric hammer too, which is novel. Oh, and an Echo CST-610EVL twin cylinder chainsaw - and a Jobu L6 chainsaw...

Total spend for the weekend was just under 25 Smile

These are going in the pile of my projects now (pics later if anyone wants to see them) which includes:

The stuff above,
Howard Bantam,
Approximately 5 Suffolk punch/pony (mixed) mowers of different ages (don't know...),
Hayterette,
Webb 18,
Other stuff I've probably forgotten - I'll stick them in the list as and when I remember!
IP IP Logged
pauldg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pauldg Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2011 at 11:35pm
Well, I found a spark on the Allen - lots of them in fact - blue ones Smile Whoever would've thought a villiers engine would lose them? They were hiding under some rust and dirt.

I got the flywheel off and felt mildly perturbed at the lack of a woodruff key to aid timing... Quite glad anyway considering the cam was rusty and merrily eating it's way into the follower - gave me the chance to sort that before it ruined itself totally. Also cleaned the rust off the magnets and the coil posts and re-attached the wire to the coil from the points after cleaning up points and testing condensor.

Then set points gap by eye (yeah, that looks about .015") and, due to the lack of a 1" spark plug spanner found TDC by removing the bolt/plug in the side of the head and looking in with a torch while putting the timing marks in 'about' the right place. I double checked by watching the points to see when they started to open and then looked to see how far off TDC the piston was - nothing like a bit of accuracy to ensure a good spark!

Now I just need to find a carb that'll 'sort of' fit (either on the end of the inlet manifold or in place of it) so I can see how much more effort the engine needs (unless I can find a proper one I can afford) and then start the strip and clean for paint...

That's a little job for tomorrow unless I get sidetracked by the Bantam. Or something else.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 9:40am
Where as you may find aproximate settings of the ignition would be ok on a fourstroke, you will be very lucky on a 2stroke villiers if it runs even if its set spot on, myself and others have found from bitter experience that the timming has to be absolutley spot on on these 2 strokes!
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
pauldg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pauldg Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 5:38pm
I also know from past experience how picky oldish mag ignition 2 strokes can be on timing... I might even have a t-shirt about it somewhere I'm most amused today!

Saying that (and sticking with the accuracy theme) I thought I'd try my hand at being a carburettor (again...) and squirted a bit of petroil down the inlet manifold and gave the rope a tug - it fired up for a few revs and died (as to be expected) so I spent a few more minutes doing it again. And again - good job the neighbours were out. I think this'll be shelved for a while now until I can find some more parts - it's clean at least.

Then I got distracted. Got the bantam out and turned over some soil with it - stealing an air filter and exhaust off one of the worse suffolks transformed the performance - whereas last time it was stalling out if the tines went deeper than about 1/4", not much stops it now.
IP IP Logged
pauly pd
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pauly pd Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 7:18pm
You certainly seem to be cracking on with your new projects, wish I had the time to do likewise with my own ! Love the regular updates as it spurs me on !
merry merry tiller !
IP IP Logged
pauldg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pauldg Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2011 at 10:31pm
If nothing else, telling people about what I'm intending to do makes me get on with it... I've been messing with the bantam this evening. Took some piccies too so I'll bung a few up so you can see what I'm starting with.

Took off the rotor box, wanted to free up the nuts & bolts in preparation for the real work ahead. At the moment it has to work so I'm not going too far with anything, just checking and a little fettling to keep it going well.

No clutch on this one, direct drive from the engine so to engage rotors or drive means just shoving the lever in - dogs are in pretty good nick considering it's been this way for at least the last 20 years and in regular use until about 4 years ago.

See the drive system here - also my fantastic in&out bits I robbed off a suffolk mower - yes, the air filter is held on with a bit of copper wire as the original retaining screw was sheared off in the carb before I got it. And the exhaust is mainly water pipe. It seems to work though.

Here's the tines - the ones that chopped a housebrick into three pieces while I was using it earlier... I'm going to make some new ones sometime as these are a bit worn.

Engine mounting - plan here is grind off the welds holding the angle iron in place and then make a bolt-on alternative. I think I'm going to mount the engine a little higher as well so I can put a longer belt on and incorporate a belt-tightening type clutch.

And for the finale, a few gratuitous shots of rust.

I was thinking about changing the engine to a villers unit (for originality's sake) but I've thought about it more and I'm leaving this one on it. If nothing else, any other engine I find is not going to be the original one and this briggs motor is a part of the history of this particular machine and it's been fitted since probably the early 80's. I feel there are more than enough bantams that it doesn't really matter - although I am sorting the engine mounts as I said so if I change my mind again I can chop and change at will.

So there it is for now. I'm a bit restricted really as I'm doing all the work in back of a SWB transit van at the moment but you have to work with what you've got I suppose.

Oh, and I said in the first post in this thread I'd forget some of the things I have to work on:

Mountfield 11 garden tractor - very easy thing to forget about!
Qualcast super panther -  it's in at least weekly use but it might see a coat of looking at soon.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 6:56pm
Before you get to involved with the bantam make sure you check the wheel berrings for play as this is becoming a real problem with them and is not easy to cure.
IP IP Logged
pauldg
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pauldg Replybullet Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 10:56pm
I gave the drive wheels a good tugging at... A small amount of play there but not enough to concern me - it'd pass an MOT anyway I'm most amused today!

What's the problem with them usually then? I'll probably find out soon enough, but are they bushes or roller/ball bearings?
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 4:37pm
Hi mate, send me a PM at the weekend and I'll sort you a carb for the Allen.
Andrew
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2011 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by pauldg

I gave the drive wheels a good tugging at... A small amount of play there but not enough to concern me - it'd pass an MOT anyway Im%20most%20amused%20today!

What's the problem with them usually then? I'll probably find out soon enough, but are they bushes or roller/ball bearings?
They are brass bushes that wear away, as theres so many bantams out there i dont normally bother with onethats gone, i just find another,when they wear oil escapes past them aswell.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version