Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Barford Atom Belt Guard Post Reply Post New Topic
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote plonker Replybullet Topic: Barford Atom Belt Guard
    Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 2:08am
Come on you Barford Experts! I am trying to find out how the belt Guard on an Atom 15 fits at the front end, at the rear end i.e. The hanlebar end , it fits on a stud that is on cranked flat bar fastened under the tool box,.

What I could do with is a photo of the front fixing, where it hinges, it looks like a 1/4" rod would be the fixing, but what does it look like? and where does it fit? or do I have the only Barford Atom with a surviving belt guard?

plonker
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 7:22am

Do you mean the loop of small diameter metal bar that goes around the belt or has your machine got a full guard that covers the belt. If it is the later I have never seen one of these on a Barford and it is not shown in the parts list. Any chance of a photo?

IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 11:42am
No, I mean a purpose built guard that covers the belt and pulley wheels, as in these photos, I suppose that it may have been a "One Off" that was made by one distributer of the Barfords, rather than a factory fitting? quite a good idea if it is.

The photos (Without wheels fitted!) show the cranked bar with it,s "Stud" for the rear fixing, and you can see that at the front the guard has a tube about 2" long as it,s front hinge.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 8:37pm
I have never seen a guard like that and suspect it is an after market fitting. Does anyone otherwise?
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 2:57pm
charlie. must have seen at least 12 atoms recently both 15 s and 30 s and not one has had a guard fitted. like you say it must be a one off. having said that nowadays if it was a new model you would not be able to see machine for guards.nice one plonker you have made history.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:43pm
A-Ha ! Not so unique Gentlemen! There is an incomplete Atom on the website at the moment, with the same guard fitted! so some supplier must have offered this option, who knows, ? it may have appeared in the list of options towards the end of the production run, to coincide with the new "Elf and Safety Industry", anyway I have made up the bracket now to fit this guard, and will post a photo when the paint dries.
plonker
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:23pm
Perhaps somebody was offering refurbed machines and as a result these guards needed fitting. Or could be like the later howard 200's that were modified to take a belt guard because it became a legal requirement.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version