Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: road registering lawn tractors Post Reply Post New Topic
booomer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote booomer Replybullet Topic: road registering lawn tractors
    Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 5:35pm
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has successfully road registered a lawn tractor or ride on mower? i'd be interested to hear how difficult/easy it was and if there were any pointers for anyone trying to do it.
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 5:39pm

There's a previous topic about road registering garden machines here:

http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4495

Hope that helps.
IP IP Logged
booomer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote booomer Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:13pm
Hi thanks for the link, unfortunately however no one on there has actually done it them self.
IP IP Logged
james 154
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote james 154 Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 6:29pm
im trying with my westwood but im not sure who to contact because it needs an inspection to check it really is a tractor
am i missing a eyebrow
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:24am
See FBHVC website for more information. It will depend if you want a Q plate or age related number; you will also have to take the tractor to a DVLA office for inspection to confirm serail numbers etc match any on paperwork submitted.
Why do you need to road register it? If it is because you want insurance for shows and the insurer has said it needs registering, the insurer is wrong.
IP IP Logged
haflingerrofft
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote haflingerrofft Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 5:12pm
I had my John Deere Ride-On road registered when new 10 years ago. I filled in a Registration Form V10 ( Vehicle Registration Application) from the D.V.L.A. and eventually they will send you the most amazingly long Chassis No. that u have to duplicate on plastic etc. and pop weld on to the Ride-on. I was issued with a Q Plate, and have to pay around 180 Sterling with the National Farmers Union Insurance to make road legal. The reason that I needed it thus was that I have several properties within half a mile radius that need lawn cutting
IP IP Logged
hortimech
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hortimech Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by haflingerrofft

I had my John Deere Ride-On road registered when new 10 years ago. I filled in a Registration Form V10 ( Vehicle Registration Application) from the D.V.L.A. and eventually they will send you the most amazingly long Chassis No. that u have to duplicate on plastic etc. and pop weld on to the Ride-on. I was issued with a Q Plate, and have to pay around 180 Sterling with the National Farmers Union Insurance to make road legal. The reason that I needed it thus was that I have several properties within half a mile radius that need lawn cutting

I don't understand this, you had the machine road registered when it was new?
If so, you shouldn't have had to do this, the dealer should have.
It would be registered as a lawnmower, given a current plate and used all the serial numbers that were already on the machine. Then the good bit, road fund tax is free.
As to the Westwood above, if is fitted with its cutting deck then no it is not a tractor, it is a lawnmower and should be registered as such.
IP IP Logged
booomer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote booomer Replybullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:40pm
Basically i'd like to be able to drive my tractor between mine and my girlfriends houses (2 miles on country lanes) and to the occasional show, i would also like to legally use it for snow ploughing the local lanes in the winter. I'm not bothered wether its on a Q plate and i suppose it would have to be as there is no chassis number or anything like that.
IP IP Logged
jimbob
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jimbob Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 7:42am
hi, public snow ploughing is a bit of a grey area as if someone falls over on an area youve ploughed yyoull be liable as far as i understand!!!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 9:28am
jimbob, I think our current government has seen the stupidity of such a claim and I think I am right in saying that this would not apply, all part of the 'big society'. If we all cleared the bit of pavement outside our own houses it would make life a lot easier for everyone.
If clearing roads it might pay to speak with local council. 
IP IP Logged
haflingerrofft
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote haflingerrofft Replybullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 5:41pm
The V5 on my John Deere Ride on reads like this.
Taxation Class - Exempy(Sec 7 (1) VE Act)
Make - John Deere
Model/Type - 2-axle-rigid-body mowing machinr
Colour/s - Green
Type of fuel - Petrol
Vin/Chassis/frame - they gave that to me.

And that's it. hope that will be of some help to you.
P.S. take care on the snow clearance, as I work during heavy snow in conjunction with the local Council - where there's a blame - there's a claim. Ask someone in the know. Iwan
IP IP Logged
booomer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote booomer Replybullet Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 2:19pm
i'm not too worried about being sued, i live up a private gravel track and get on well with the neighbours who would all be appreciative of the help with snow clearing

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version