Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Importing a tractor Post Reply Post New Topic
ih674
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote ih674 Replybullet Topic: Importing a tractor
    Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 11:22pm
Hi all, me and my father are very interested in importing a garden tractor from the US as there are some cracking deals to be had out there. Has anyone had any experience of this ie shipping companies, import tax rates, shipping cost etc?

Also the tractors out there all seem in very good condition and never rotten like a lot in the UK. We would love another tractor to go with our ride a matic.

Any info would be much appreciated,
thanks,
James
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 11:26pm
hi, forum member HDtrust regularly ships containers between the states and the uk maybe worth a PM?
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 2:48pm
Hi,

Yes try HDtrust aka Andrew Hall or sandi&rodger as they have imported bolens stuff like myself.

The Showman Chris Sutton has imported 2 wheel horse tractors so maybe able to help
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
lauber1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lauber1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Dec 2011 at 6:13pm
I'd like to know the cost of this also, but in reverse. I see several interesting items sitting in places i cant drive my truck to. Im thinking that the tractor would be the cheap part, as im sure there are several concerns along the way with there hands out for your money.
restoring history, one bolt at a time.
IP IP Logged
neilhorse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote neilhorse Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:35am
I have imported 3 wheelhorse tractors now from US and the cost goes by weight or size of pallet that the tractor is on whichever is the greater.
It cost me about 650/700 to import my 1961suburban wheelhorse inc import duties ,vat etc. However i did get the tractor at a really good price and if i desided to sell the tractor in this country i think/hope i would get my money back.
Its yje tractor on the left in picture below and it was restored by previous owner
IP IP Logged
pete0250
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pete0250 Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:18am
I would be interested to know about duties etc. Some time ago I ordered a part for my Gravely and was stung by Customs. I have been thinking of the possibility of driving to the continent to purchase/exchange two wheeler/s, but only thinking at the moment.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.
IP IP Logged
lauber1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lauber1 Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:19pm
Yes i think the "duty" parts of it will break the deal. Paying 700 pounds or what would be $1090+ US dollars on top of the tractor price, would pretty much make it uninteresting here. Tractors in the midwest, where i live are fairly cheap. The biggest of the two wheeled models would only bring $450 to 500. If you go out to the east coast the price for machines is higher. I think maybe if several people could get together on a container, maybe the price would come down some.    
restoring history, one bolt at a time.
IP IP Logged
hdtrust
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hdtrust Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:39am
I see the excitment!
I'll give you all the biggest pitfall of them all.
The USA and Canada have different rules in exporting to any other country.They can and sometimes do change shipper,that means the costs can spiral and there is bugger all you can do about it.So be warned.
Mid - West tractors are easy to ship to the East there are copmpanies doing it all the time,but its the loading.
All I can see here is folks shipping their item (example wheel Horse).The proper name for this is console or part of,
Tractors,full size are another kettle of fish as we are talking containers,20ft or 40ft.Firstly they have weight limits but more inportantly they have time limits,normally 3 hours to load and 3 hours to unload,if for any reason you are outside these times look out.It is called "demorage".The shipper will rub his hands at up to $200 per hour!
Hope this wets the apetite to spend money.
I'm not saying for one minute not to try it,but just remember its a trade for professionals.
If you require any other help please email me
Best Andrew
IP IP Logged
TonySpriet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TonySpriet Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:01pm
There are lots of vintage farm and garden equipment for sale here on the mainland. These are French,Italian,German made machinery, witch you can collect on a very easy way, by come over the channel, load them to your van or trailer.... Machinery made in the USA are more seldon here.....   
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version