Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: Home built ride on Post Reply Post New Topic
Moogie

Online Status: Offline
Quote Moogie Replybullet Topic: Home built ride on
    Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 2:02am
Hi all, my name is Noel and i am in N.Ireland. i have been on the forum for a while now reading up on all the topics, my aim is to get a Bolens, but they are a bit scarce this side of the water so i done the next best thing and built my own.
My plan wasn't to build a replica of any particular make of tractor, just something that myself and my daughter who is 7 could use around the garden.

First step was to find a donor mower. After looking for a while i came across a Mountfield 8 which was in a skip ready to go to the scrap man. Mine was in much worse condition than the one is this picture but the engine and transmission were fine (couldn't find a picture of a Mountfield 8 ).

The transmission had taken in water but it cleaned up ok. The engine still had the hone marks in the cylinder so had seen very little use. I later found out that the 8 never had a cutting deck fitted to it as it was only used to pull a roller.

I forgot to take photos of the first part of this build, but this is as far as we have got after the first day.

The bonnet is from a MTD Lawnflight which was new, it was old stock in a local dealers and i got it for very little money. The next photo shows the bottom section of the front grill and the frame to carry the seat.

I have to say a big thank you to my mate Gary who helped in the build of the tractor, he was able to make a lot of the fabrication look so easy. ( he is a welder/ fabricator by trade) We weren't so sure what style of cowl to make to hold the steering column, switches etc, but this is what we ended up with.

Next it was time to start the rear arches and foot plates. Because my 7 year old daughter was to drive this i wanted the wheels well covered to prevent her from getting caught up in the rear wheel.

The foot rests are made of 4mm checker plate.

With all the fab work completed it was time to tear it down and start the painting preparation. All surfaces de-greased, sanded and primed.

All rubbed down with a coat of undercoat.

Time for the top coat. Chassis black, tin work Terex green.

After a day or so drying, i quickly put it together for a photo or two.

I still have a few jobs to do to get it finished,
Bolt it all together.
Install wiring loom.
Fit new rear wheel and tyres.
Get engine running smoothly as it is hunting for fuel at the moment.

I'll update as i get some of this lot completed.
Noel.
IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
Looking great !

well done 
me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't
IP IP Logged
les wilson
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote les wilson Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:24pm
isnt that a bolens at the back in picture 4? or is that just a bonnet on a different tractor? nice project anyway
Wolseley 16HS
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 4:53pm
Hello Noel welcome to the forum

Thats a cracking job you have done there, well done
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Moogie

Quote Moogie Replybullet Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by les wilson

isnt that a bolens at the back in picture 4? or is that just a bonnet on a different tractor? nice project anyway

It is a Bolens 853 which has sadly no engine. My mate found it in a hedge and paid 50 for it, he has since got a G14 engine to put in it.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version