Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: What's your daftest injury? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote roatavator Replybullet Topic: What's your daftest injury?
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 6:20pm
OK, I'm not the world's best mechanic. I'm sure you've all done some minor damage to yourselves while working on the machines. Anyone done anything dafter than this?

Decided to do some more fettling with the 30B. Took hammer to encourage sleeve back on hub. Hit finger with hammer. Decided to keep finger tucked out of way. Hammered some more, hammered sleeve down on to same finger, which I couldn't then get free. Thought about it a bit (while turning nice shade of red and cursing copiously). Decided to lever flange back out. Put lever in opposite side of flange to finger, levered which caused section holding finger to go down further, resulting in more pain, cursing and reddening. Finally put lever in same side of flange as finger, got free, went indoors and spent rest of day nursing finger.

No sympathy indoors at all. Only laughter.
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 6:37pm
I once slipped with a 4 1/2" angle grinder and ground a finger 1/4" shorter. I was trying to grind a nut out of an inside radius and was holding by hand as it was an awkward shape, when the grinder slipped my finger was the next protrusion.
Grendel
IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:33pm

I was making a bracket, I needed two 1/8" holes drilled. This was back when pop rivets was all the go, holding bracket with one hand electric drill in the other. The first hole went fine, on the second hole drill getting blunt I tried to force it. Quick as a flash bit snapped leaving enough in the drill to go though my finger. The tetanus jab wasn't any fun either.

IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 8:49pm
when I was little we had an old wooden garage and I was helping my dad take it down, we got most of the siding off and my dad stood on a plank with a nail in it - right through his foot, sticking out the other side, he quickly pulled it out, and called for help, I rushed over to him, and stood on the self same nail, so it was sticking out my foot - right through. - what a pair we made.
Grendel
IP IP Logged
EarlBathurst
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote EarlBathurst Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 9:03pm
After a crap railtour to Minehead with Earl Bathurst,Bad coal , snow, etc, I was putting the old girl to bed and as i've done a million times before, cleared up rags in cab and dropped them in fire hole thenCensored a big blue flash flame shot out and caught what i thought was just my hi vis anorack thebloody thing was dripping off me! then i realised fCensoredk my hands/arms are bubbling, one of the others rushed me to the hospital in Taunton, they are no expersts in burns so i was made to look like a mummy. and shipped to Stoke Mandiville where i spent the next three weeks. Thumbs%20Down
   it turns out one of the rags had thinners on it instead of the normal parrafin or diesel,
 and i was  back in action still wrapped up for a trip to Plymouth  For my 40th  three weeks after that !  seems  only yesterday but nearly 8 years!I'm most amused today!
URL www.johnallenofoxford.webs.com
IP IP Logged
burrboy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote burrboy Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 11:06pm
Glad i dont have to work with you lads!! I'm most amused today!  take careOuchI'm most amused today!
IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 11:48am
well other than the numerous hammer dents in fingers...

When I was 3 yrs old I decided it would be good to stick my fingers in the starter jaws of a lister engine on an old cement mixer...

The little mittens I was wearing apparently didnt help as my finger were pulled in and spund around until my dad pulled my hand out !

Result no finger nails on my fingers, but but still have five fingers!!!!

me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:04pm
On the railway engine theme, I was lighting up Evening Star (92220) at Didcot one very early morning. It was going well when I opened the firehole door to chuck some more coal in, at once there was a blast of heat and a smell of burning wool, hair etc. My woolly hat was singed, eyebrows and moustache were as well! A classic mistake, always shut the damper when the wood's going well, before opening the firehole door. Later on it was being lit up again by a couple of others and I was alongside with a barrow of wood for another engine, when the lad opened the door, they were enveloped in a massive blue flame! This was what must have hit me, they were a bit singed as well. Nobody was hurt, though...
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:18pm
Hi, my worst injury is probarbly when i broke both bones in my arm at the start of last year but my most stupid was where my middle ring and index finger on ym left (dominant) hand were pulled into a disc sander (Trustymad may remember as he was in another Designtech lesson next door!!
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:34pm
What have I started?! Makes me feel quite sensible!
Think EarlBathurst probably wins so far, but there ought to be a booby prize for double trouble Grendel!
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:49pm
when i was younger i remember cleaning a bike chain in diesel in my shed my mother shouted at me as i had promised to clear the snow from the path i shot out of said shed spilling the tub of diesel over the front of my trousers grabed the shovel and preceded to the path at front of the house i started to shovel the snow with the handle pushed in to my body at hip hight all of a sudden there was a big whoosh and then flames all around my never regions this was when i rememberd very quickly that i had some red swanvester matches in my pockett, they had ignighted next thing is ime rolling about in the snow trying not to roast my nuts with my mother pulling what was left of my kegs off ,much to the amusment of the niebours  and to top it all she found my  parkdrive ciggies and grounded me for 2 weeksCry
IP IP Logged
EarlBathurst
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote EarlBathurst Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by will_haggle

On the railway engine theme, I was lighting up Evening Star (92220) at Didcot one very early morning. It was going well when I opened the firehole door to chuck some more coal in, at once there was a blast of heat and a smell of burning wool, hair etc. My woolly hat was singed, eyebrows and moustache were as well! A classic mistake, always shut the damper when the wood's going well, before opening the firehole door. Later on it was being lit up again by a couple of others and I was alongside with a barrow of wood for another engine, when the lad opened the door, they were enveloped in a massive blue flame! This was what must have hit me, they were a bit singed as well. Nobody was hurt, though...
i done that on there too,more entertaing onBPC though, no room to escape!DeadThumbs%20Down
IP IP Logged
EarlBathurst
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote EarlBathurst Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:02pm
Another time we were washing out 3822 i was sat on firebox top holding firehose when someone below knocked the lower end and guess what !!
down i came bouncing over cab roof cutting eye open and big scraping on my guts , yet another trip to be stiched up !Wacko
IP IP Logged
Abellto
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Abellto Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:19pm
Put my hand in a lawn mower last October trying to lift it while it ran.
broke one finger and ripped the ends off two!
I'm told I have a high pain threshold but boy this was agony.
After a week they said one finger was over granulating so they cut the nail off and cut the end of my finger off again! OUCH!!
Morel of this story? Never cheat the dead-mans handle on any machine.
After 3 months they still hurt and feel quite tingly and this cold weather makes 'em throb.
Abell by name able by nature.
MG 6 called 'Rusty'
IP IP Logged
pete0250
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pete0250 Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:59pm
Hedgetrimming the other year, brought the trimmer down and caught my knee (wearing shorts as a nice warm day). Asked customer for bandage, he took me in and patched me up, making sure I was ok, went back to hedgecutter, 3 minutes later I took a sweep at some privet, got some wrapped round blade, took hand off the trigger to brush the privet off and sliced the tips of four fingers of my left hand.  I knocked on his door again and asked for more plasters, shook his head in disbelief and said " not you day is it ? Do you want to pack up ?". "Not likely, still got my other fingers, just a flesh wound" aka Monty Python. Patched me up (again). Back to the hedge trimmer, but with suitable gloves, leggings helmet etc. Moral of the story ? Don't be a pratt with machinery ??? There was a local chap decorating at the same premises and, when passing, I still show him my hands to prove I still have all my fingers, well whats left of them !!
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.
IP IP Logged
Trusty Mad
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Trusty Mad Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
as a child i once traped my fingers in the hinge side of my bedroom door (the door opend into the room) with me on the inside with no space to pull my finges out and no room for dad to get round the door into the room. he could not get a screw driver onto the hinges and so he ended up useing a crow bar to force the door out the frame.

still dont know how i managed to get my fingers into the gap in the first place.
I reject your reality and substitute my own
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 8:05am
Only you rob!!!
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:18pm
Nothing mechanical this time. Just throwing myself from the loft ladder when having drunk more whiskey than was wise, bad back for 6mnths partially dead left leg which bothers me occasionally, bruised head, not much damage there then, discolated thumb which still bothers me a little apart form that debacle there are plenty of hammer blows, steel dropping onto feet from 40' and hitting toe-tectors. nothing to worry about really. Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy.HugClapClapClapClapHug.
Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy, me and my dogs.

robdog10_4
keep taking the pills and smile why don't you?
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 7:46pm
robdog.
Was the whiskey stored in the loft (secret stash?) or were you on the way up to the loft to sleep it off?
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
moglet
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote moglet Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:42pm
Setting the fast return stops on a Bauer irrigator gun when it tripped of its own accord spinning round and catching me on the jaw, shifting 2 teeth and leaving a gaping wound 2 inches long in my cheek, the staff at the A and E department couldn't make out how A. I didn't get knocked out and B. why my jaw wasn't broken.
I am currently typing this one handed as I've been in hospital today having had the tip of a chisel that pinged off and imbedded near the wrist bone removed.

Margo and Jerrys Volvo is now rarer than the Howard; discuss.
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 9:56pm
Hi roatavator, By that time of the day it was stored in my gut, went down very well so it would seem nearly as well as myself from the ladder but not quite as fast as the fall.
Rgds Rob,Kish & Billy.HugHugHugHug
Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy, me and my dogs.

robdog10_4
keep taking the pills and smile why don't you?
IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
reading this - should any of us be allowed near tools let alone mechanical equipment?
Grendel
IP IP Logged
EarlBathurst
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote EarlBathurst Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by grendel

reading this - should any of us be allowed near tools let alone mechanical equipment?
Grendel
NO !!DeadCryOuchUnhappy
IP IP Logged
petethebiker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote petethebiker Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 3:02pm
hi
well my stupidity began at very early age, being born my mother said!!
but i guess the most stupid would have to be when i was on my first big bike after passing my test back in '69. a 500 matchless. my brother was on pillion, we had just left our house i suppose about 20mph i turned in the saddle to wave at two old boys sat on the village seat, when my front wheel hit the kerb instinctlivy i slammed on the front brake. big mistake! the bike stopped dead throwing me over the handle bars my brother followed going over my head he went quite high, i reccolect! i landed in the road hard! smashing my wrist in two places and dislocating my hand and my first thought? no not my brother who was unscathed the lucky bugger, but was my bike ok!! i spent the next week off work. and the two old boys on the seat? well they almost fell off with laughter once they realised we were not too badly injured! the moral of the story?never take your eyes off the road
pete
pete
IP IP Logged
petethebiker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote petethebiker Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 3:31pm
hi
but another connected directly with work would have to be when i was working in a factory that made milk floats for unigate daries. i used to work in the trim shop, fininshing and glazing the 'floats prior to despatch, well i was using an angle grinder to trim back the fibreglass from the metal frame when unbekown to me, i had ground through the electric cable to the grinder! when i went to change my hand hold i got hold of the exposed cable and the metal grinder and completed the circuit!! coo! i could not let go my muscles had contracted and i could feel my heart pouinding.... luckily for me one of my work collegues heard my screams and pulled out the plug.... i was known from that day forward until the day i left as sparky!!!!
pete
pete
IP IP Logged
roatavatorjnr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavatorjnr Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:38pm
Daftest was probably the most recent, A few weekends ago, trying to hammer out one of the shafts from a front mount mower angle drive I missed the punch and hit my thumb full wack, my thumb at the time was resting against the body so had no where to go when hit, cue lots of swearing and blood!!
10 mins later after calming down I start again, this time having repositioned my thumb I hit the punch probably 20 times then hit my hand right between my ring and index finger knuckles, cue more swearing and increased anger causes thumb injury to bleed profusely again!!
10 mins later (again!) I start again (again!) hit the punch 5 times and then hit my thumb in exactly the same way and place as the first time! Cue this time, more swearing, more blood and packing tools up and of course laughter from indoors including my 21 month old daughter!!

Thumb still isn't right now (it's the left!) catch it in the wrong place and it's very painful and goes numb and tingley!!
What would the wife say if I brought home a rotavator as well as all the cars!?
IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:45pm
Hmm I would have packed up after the second one as it would obviously have not been my day.
Grendel
IP IP Logged
roatavatorjnr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavatorjnr Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:02pm
The worst thing is the shaft still isn't out and i have a nasty feeling it could all happen again this weekend when i try again :(
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 5:09pm
How about holding the punch with a suitable pair of pliers, molegrips etc, might help keep remaining good fingers and thumbs out of harms way!!!!!
IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 6:39pm
how about using a press or puller?
Grendel
IP IP Logged
Trusty Bloke
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Trusty Bloke Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:01pm

How about giving it to someone else to do ....
A drink's too wet without one ;-) - Southampton
May the Farce Be With You...
Lord Melchett: "If nothing else works , a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
IP IP Logged
roatavator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavator Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by Trusty Bloke

How about giving it to someone else to do ....

Not me!!!!
Simars rule OK
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 10:31pm
The usual Lawnmowerboy answer, Use a bigger hammer?
IP IP Logged
roatavatorjnr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavatorjnr Replybullet Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 9:09am
Press is a good idea but i don't have access to one......

I did try mole-grips to hold the punch but the housing still needed extra steadying....

The plan is to clamp it in the bench  and use this idea:

Originally posted by charliesfergy

I'm most amused today!I'm most amused today!I'm most amused today!
IP IP Logged
roatavatorjnr
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote roatavatorjnr Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by roatavatorjnr

Press is a good idea but i don't have access to one......

I did try mole-grips to hold the punch but the housing still needed extra steadying....

The plan is to clamp it in the bench  and use this idea:

Originally posted by charliesfergy

Im%20most%20amused%20today!Im%20most%20amused%20today!Im%20most%20amused%20today!
So, after having another go this weekend it's apart and back together with new secondhand parts...... it also turns out i'm ambidextrous with a hammer and able to injure both hands quite sucessfully....... Ouch
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version