Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Gunsmith. Post Reply Post New Topic
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Topic: Gunsmith.
    Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 7:52pm
Hi Y'all,

Long time since I paid a visit to the Forum. I hope everyone is fine and well, myself and the 2 dogs are quite fit. Me especially having had a dip in the local canal on the 12/12/11 to rescue my bigger dog who had fallen into the canal despite his distaste for water on his outside. We were both rescued by a local man who's wife had heard me shouting for help and we got the dog out first and then me which was a bit more difficult, weighing in probably at 15st with all the waterlogged clothing on, but, hey-ho I'm still here to entertain you all occasionally.

Anyway to get back the subject matter of the Gunsmith Tractor.

I see that there is one up for grabs on that place we don't mention.

I was thinking of having a pop at it but it is going astronomical at present and has not got to the reserve, getting out of my league at present, and god only knows what it might fetch.

It does have a plough and cultvator with it though, it also has the steel wheels, but I can't see the lifting arm that goes with it.

Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy.
Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy, me and my dogs.

robdog10_4
keep taking the pills and smile why don't you?
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 4:56pm
Rob, good to hear from you again, wondered where you had gone. If prices get silly then it is time to walk away and look somewhere else, unless you really, really want it, then who knows where it will end. Have to admit I did pay perhaps more than I should for one item, but it is still the only one I have seen.
IP IP Logged
charliesfergy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote charliesfergy Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:20pm
It's supply and demand i suppose, as with everything. like trusty's are going for 2-300 in running order witn just aplough.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:46pm
Great to hear from you Robdog!!!!
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 7:06pm
Hi Y'all,

Thanx 4 ur kind comments, much appreciated.

Rgds Rob and the dogs.

robdog10_4
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:06pm
And then there's another, too dear, bit rough and a few bits missing, bit of a bodge-up methinks. Rob, Kish & Billy.HugHugHugHugClapClapClap

robdog10_4
IP IP Logged
simarsteve1

Quote simarsteve1 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 6:49pm
as a member of this club for over 7 years one of the things i have learnt about vintage machinery is get it up and running and get to a show,rally etc. it amazing how soon someone comes up and says i got some bits for one of those and gradually you it get restored.therefore its not a bodge up.this gunsmith was a total wreck ready for the scrap.good job i dragged it out the hedge. all my vintage machinery( in its working clothes) is up and running and used daily on the farm.i hope a lot of restorers are like minded. in there day they would be called pioneers. thankfully anzani,bmb and trusty bits are changeable.heres to people who restore thing which others consinder to be boded up or junk
IP IP Logged
simarsteve1

Quote simarsteve1 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 6:51pm
sorry about the poor spelling
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:13pm
What poor spelling?

Just a little queery, if you have been a member for 7 years could you tell me why it says you only joined yesterday, and, are a new member.

I'm pleased that you have put so much effort into getting it up and running as you say.

Where I come from you have to be careful about leaving "scrap" or whatever in hedgerows because the PIKIES will be along and knick it even if it's in your shed/garage etc locked away and secure so you would think, so parts get fewer and fewer.

Rgds rob.

robdog10_4
IP IP Logged
jtg1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jtg1 Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:36pm
don't forget you can be a club member and not be on the forum!!!
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!
IP IP Logged
simarsteve1

Quote simarsteve1 Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:23am
just never got round to using the forum before. ive written a couple of article for the cultivator in the past, probably should be a bit more active with photos and write up in club mag but i had a complete change of life style.i bought things off members all over the uk. some are still sitting in the barn awaiting restoration. however with a house build, wife at university,three children under seven to look after and trying to earn a crust by farming my hobby is on the back burner.the only reason i put it on you no where is i would like to see someone finish it a use it at rallies. i have 18 different types of walk behind tractors, umpteen rotavators and a barn full of toot, perhaps enough to open a rural working museum one day. hope this give you some idea of where im at.all the best rob
IP IP Logged
robdog10_4
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote robdog10_4 Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
Hi Steve, I can see where you are coming from now, are some of them in fair order or a bit rough?
I have 3 Gunsmiths all with J.A.P.engines, 2 that run and 1 that needs the mag looking at, 2 have handle-bar steering and 1 has a steering wheel, these are all 3 wheeled models from the 40tys and early 50tys, I do have a plough to suit and a cultivator complete with two lifting bars to suit as well.
I also have a Clifford MK IV BSA engined with plough fitted, this can be a brute.
I also have some other MK IVs, MK IIIs and MK Is. A few drills, 2 jalo hand pushed garden tools with tines and someother bits.
You were very lucky to find that machine in the hedge because where I live the PIKIES/DIDDIES/GYPO'S would have had it weighed in for scrap along with anything else they could find, whether they are in your shed /garage or where-ever they are stored.
I wish you all the best with all of your projects.
Rgds Rob, Kish & Billy,HugHugHugHugHugHug

robdog10_4
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version