Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Hi everyone Post Reply Post New Topic
Predator65
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Predator65 Replybullet Topic: Hi everyone
    Posted: 20 May 2012 at 5:49pm
Hi there everyone
My name is Terry & I live in Hertfordshire, I am the proud owner( I think!) of a Howard 350,3/4s  of a Howard 300 & an old Howard gem (circa 1948 series 2 ?? any help on this appreciated!)
serial number taken from the main tube just behind the fuel tank is
G 14481
it looks the same as the gem in the projects forum,
I am in need of help (even more so since I bought the gem to restore according to my girlfriend,kids and my friends) with this project as it is my first attempt at restoring anything like this and to be honest its scares the cr%*p out of me at the thoughtConfused
I dont know the correct forum to start begging for assistance with the gem but im sure somebody will point me in the correct direction if I outline my first problem.
Here goes, got the beast(Gem)Home in the back of my little short wheelbase Frontera and a lot of brute force and swearing.
unloaded it from the car and dragged it around the back of my house where I proceeded to tinker about with my new toy tryting to find out what works and what didn't and what was missing from my project,I got her to turn over after a little messing around and looked to see if there was a spark (I know optimistic at best but what the hell)
no spark from the ht lead but got alboost from where the Ht lead is soldered onto the coil windings (so happy ish!)
I decided to take the head off and see whats what,all bolts came off with no problem except one of the short ones that fits into the section of head/barrel nthat houses the exhaust and inblet valves which sheared off (blast ) I said (or similar aglo saxon versions of the same word.
No problem I said to my self I'll just drill out the centre and use a stud extractor,Yeah right!!
I drilled the center of the stud out no trouble and wound in the stud extractor,
it got a little tight as expected then I heard a noise (like the stud coming loose)but alas it was not the stud it was the fin into which the thread was cut cracking,(I had over drilled the stud which allowed the stud ectractor to pass through the stud and screw against the fin below forcing the extractor to go sideways cracking the fin off in the process.
Dumb mistake to make and I will endevour to be more careful in the future!

My question (the first of many I'm sure) is
Is there anyone out there that is able to re weld the fin back on for me (I'll pay of course) Check "wanted forum" for part wanted request

I think the engine is  a british junior engine
I'll try to upload a couple of pictures to help my case
if anyone can help me I would appreciate it,and if this post is in the wrong place please advise and move the thread for me

by the way I just joined the VHGMC and am awaiting the passwords for the wanted/for sale forums any idea how long they take to get here ?

Kindest regardsWink

Terry
Sorry for the picture at the beginnging (I'm still a N00B)
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 7:35pm

Hi Terry

Welcome to the forum, I think you'll find answers to your Howard problems here somewhere. It looks an interesting project you have got there.

Your membership details etc have been emailed on to you. If you need assistance with your membership then please let me know.

Thanks

Alan

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 20 May 2012 at 9:49pm
Hi your gem is a late series 2, probably made in 1949, the valve chambers are often in short supply due to suffering from worn valve guides, i may have one but the outlet for the exhaust stub i'm fairly sure would need repairing but it may be an easier repair than what youve got.
Youre right the engine is a british junior made by howards, for manuals on the machine google weather data howard manuals. If it was my gem i would allways pop the side off the gearbox to check for exploding reverse gear syndrome, i.e due to the design it is possible to select both forward and reverse gears at the same time with obvious consequences on the series 2's.
Forum member Titch can now supply decals for the machine see www.machinerydecals.co.uk , vapormatic do a good howard orange, its either .com or .co.uk i cant remember.
I also have a website on these machines for more info see www.howardgem.webs.com
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Predator65
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Predator65 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 1:21pm
Hi and thankyou for the welcome and the info on my gem
Sorry it's been a while since my last post (had a wedding to attend in the Netherlands and a load of work to catch up on on my return)

Another question, what is supposed to be around the valve stems on the front view of the engine,are they short bits of rubber tube or metal tubes,on my gem between the valve chamber and the block there are just a couple of steel rings with a chamfered rim (like a rubber hose would slip onto)

I will make a new post on the forum regarding other help I need

Thanx again

Terry

Edited due to a telling off by moderatorOuch
IP IP Logged
Web2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Web2 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 4:52pm
Hi everyone

I was just being helpful (I hope, as that is my aim) and advising him, for his own benefit, that it is not wise to put email address on open forum area(security wise)as anyone can view this area, and that he would be better contacting Series1Gem by PM.

Best wishes

Jean - Web 2 - Wanted Section Moderator
IP IP Logged
Predator65
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Predator65 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 5:36pm

Hi Jean

You were being helpful and I did not mean to be abrasive( the comment with the black eye smiley was just a bit of fun not ment to offend)

Kind regards

Tel
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 8:19pm
Hi, Ive seen what you want, will have to have a look as a lot of it is in short supply, due on the whole to the newest series2 being 63 years old. I know in particular the clutch and operating rods are different to later machines, at a push though if i have no spare, should be able to supply you with sketches and measurements if youre in no rush as have got an awfull lot going on at the moment.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Predator65
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Predator65 Replybullet Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 9:27pm
Hi m8
appreciated,I'm in your debt & happy to wait.

TelWink
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version