Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Hayter 24" motor scythe Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote marktheherald Replybullet Topic: Hayter 24" motor scythe
    Posted: 27 May 2012 at 12:56pm
Hi, just joined up and here is my project. ( I had one of these many years ago and gave it away) It's mostly all there, but the Mk15 Villiers needs a rebuild. It looks like most of the b its I need are available online. Cheers, Mark.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 6:53pm
Something that you wouldn't see today - the engine sitting on two blocks of wood (oak?)!
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 7:15pm
I remember them being hardwood, but what type remains to be seen. They are covered in 'gunge', and might still have their original grey paint. Shopping list includes; piston rings, air filter and bowl, correct exhaust and a right hand crank cover/mesh. And that's just the engine..
IP IP Logged
hortimech
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hortimech Replybullet Posted: 27 May 2012 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by marktheherald

I remember them being hardwood, but what type remains to be seen. They are covered in 'gunge', and might still have their original grey paint. Shopping list includes; piston rings, air filter and bowl, correct exhaust and a right hand crank cover/mesh. And that's just the engine..

They won't have their original grey paint, all the machine (apart from engine) was green. Have you worked out how to alter the height of cut yet? it is very basic.

It was one of these that I was first allowed to work on when I started my apprenticeship back in 1973. Where did the years go I'm most amused today! 
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:19am
Originally posted by hortimech

Originally posted by marktheherald

They won't have their original grey paint, all the machine (apart from engine) was green. Have you worked out how to alter the height of cut yet? it is very basic.

It was one of these that I was first allowed to work on when I started my apprenticeship back in 1973. Where did the years go Im%20most%20amused%20today! 

....... and using both sides of the knife sections - no spanner needed!
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:47am
Parts and prices!
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:32pm
No serial no. anywhere for the Hayter. I'm very familiar with the machine. My late mother had one of the early 50's models and replaced it later with the 60's type. I inherited the latter when she moved to a smaller property, but let it go to a nephew 'in need' down in Dorset. I think it has since disappeared! I have also lost all the manuals that went with it..
This restoration project was an e-bay purchase (25). I am hoping to fit this in between my garage door repair business and a Triumph Herald project....
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 28 May 2012 at 4:51pm
Hello Mark, welcome to the forum.

I have operating instructions/spare parts list for your scythe, if you want a (paper) copy please send me a private message.

Paul
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2012 at 7:05pm
Following total stripdown of the Hayter, I can confirm that the paint colour on the frame where it has been hidden by the engine mounts is definitely grey. Not a hint of green...
IP IP Logged
hayter 26

Quote hayter 26 Replybullet Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 4:04pm
Hello to all I am a new member just looking at some projects and come across this one I am astonished at the detailed information given with detailed diagrams.I have had and still have many hayter 26 inch rotor scythes if anyone needs any information or spares be glad to help.
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:36am
I missed out on a Hayter 26" with no engine that was on fleabay local to me. It went for about 11.... then appeared back on the 'bay for 200 B.I.N! It progressively reduced in price and eventually disappeared at about 125!
IP IP Logged
howardman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardman Replybullet Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 10:59pm
I have a 26" roller drive hayter motor scythe with roller seat and 30" cylinder mower attachment....great  for cutting high grass or rolling ground. Wouldnt  mind get any drawings etc  for hayter 26 if you  have them as i rebuilt the cutting deck and the front is open ...must surely have had a safety flap of some sort to protect feet from blades at front
IP IP Logged
hayter 26

Quote hayter 26 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 6:08pm
Hi Howardman,
I have an original front flap for the front of the hayter 26 in excellent condition.
The flap hinges on two small hooks just under the front but more often than not the hooks rust out.
I also have some original manuals/parts list with exploded
diagrams be happy to post them on the forum but I am next to useless with a computer and have no idea how to do that!
The short sweet taste of cheapness is soon replaced by the long bitterness of poor quality.
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 6:36pm
The front and rear flaps are missing on my 24". Question, are they steel or thick ally? It also looks like I will have to fabricate new top plates, unless anyone knows of any good ones lurking....
   Mark.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by howardman

I have a 26" roller drive hayter motor scythe with roller seat and 30" cylinder mower attachment....great  for cutting high grass or rolling ground. Wouldnt  mind get any drawings etc  for hayter 26 if you  have them as i rebuilt the cutting deck and the front is open ...must surely have had a safety flap of some sort to protect feet from blades at front

I have H26 parts drawings/ lists as follows
1957-1960
undated from serial no 3604
1964 from serial no 5685
1965 from serial no V65-101
+  30" 5 bladed  cylinder Lawn  Mower attachment (with grass box) and 3 bladed verge mower attachment.
Take your pick and I will upload into Dropbox and post an access link.
IP IP Logged
robr

Quote robr Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 6:34pm
Hello
Dear Wristpin and Hayerman 26
I have just brought a Hayter 26 and would like all and any info on them, she has a B&S engine 142432. not sure how to go about it on this forum but my email is robandnett@dsl.pipex.com  also need a front flap, hooks are still there. and where to get older briggs bits.
Thanks Rob
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 9:55pm
I broke up a 1965 Hayter about 18 months ago.It had a rear roller drive.It was a big heavy brute !!.I still have the red coloured Briggs and Stratton engine,the centrifugal clutch assy and the throttle cable from this mower.The engine model is 143432.Type number is 502723.Serial number is 120165.This engine uses the large 2 piece "Flo-Jet" type carburettor and oil bath air cleaner.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by robr

Hello
Dear Wristpin and Hayerman 26
I have just brought a Hayter 26 and would like all and any info on them, she has a B&S engine 142432. not sure how to go about it on this forum but my email is robandnett@dsl.pipex.com  also need a front flap, hooks are still there. and where to get older briggs bits.
Thanks Rob

If you think that it's the original engine post the date code and I will try to dig out the appropriate manual. Anything BS always quote the full Model, Type and Code numbers - saves a lot of guess work.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:02pm
is this the lost post, now found ??
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
robr

Quote robr Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 10:17pm
For Wristpin
B&S engine model no 142432,  Type 0192 01  number 394234
i think its the orignal one.
Thanks Rob
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2012 at 11:09pm

For Wristpin
B&S engine model no 142432,  Type 0192 01  number 394234
i think its the orignal one.
Thanks Rob

Please take another look at that last number below the word CODE. The first two digits should be the year of manufacture and I sure it wasn't 1939!! 59 would be a possibility and 89 too late.
IP IP Logged
robr

Quote robr Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:51am
To Wristpin

Can confirm  model 142432  Type 0192 01  Serial number 394234
Not code
Trying to send pic but file to big,
Rob
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 8:54am
Still need to know whether the 'flaps' are ally or steel? I'm ever so slowly accumulating 'bits' for the rebuild...
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 9:56am
Never mind the pic - give us the code!
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 11:49am
My model 14 Briggs engine has all the engine numbers stamped on a square alloy plate.My SERIAL number is 120165 so a 1965 built engine.Later engines had a CODE number and the first two digits are the year of manufacture.
I believe these 14 cubic inch engines are rated at 6hp.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2012 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by Stuart.

My model 14 Briggs engine has all the engine numbers stamped on a square alloy plate.My SERIAL number is 120165 so a 1965 built engine.Later engines had a CODE number and the first two digits are the year of manufacture.
I believe these 14 cubic inch engines are rated at 6hp.

This is for a 1965 model  with a Villiers engine but would think that the chassis will be similar.
http://www.dropbox.com/s/hrfho2jcghyowrk/Hayter%2026%2019650001.pdf
IP IP Logged
robr

Quote robr Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 9:11pm
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2012 at 10:17pm
I've got a heap of manuals from the 50s, 60s and 70s. A big local dealer that had been going since the war went into liquidation in 79 and on the viewing day before the on site auction I found all their parts books etc in a pile in one corner of the workshop. Found the auctioneers man on site and gave him a drink! Hayter wise I have several binders of parts lists (with some overlap) . As far as the 26 goes, Hayter's reference system is a bit inconsistent - some are referred to by serial number and some by year. What surprises me is that some of the earlier ones have BS engines then they switch to Villiers and then back to BS. It even looks as though for a period the machine could be specified with either engine.
If any of the  images that I have uploaded don't match your machine give me as much info as possible and I will try and match image with metal! 
IP IP Logged
robr

Quote robr Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 5:24pm
Wristpin
I will upload a few more pics to dropbox, but i think is about mid to late 60s, if you have any pics on the trailer seats that would be nice. any idear where the  mower frame number is.
Thanks Rob

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?select=hayter.jpg#!/home/Public?select=hayter.jpg

IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 14 Aug 2012 at 10:37pm

Wristpin
I will upload a few more pics to dropbox, but i think is about mid to late 60s, if you have any pics on the trailer seats that would be nice. any idear where the  mower frame number is.
Thanks Rob

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?select=hayter.jpg#!/home/Public?select=hayter.jpg

Not managed to open your images but here are a couple if pics of wheeled and roller seats.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/89x1wbym4c5nbmb/Hayter%2026%20trailer%20seats0001.pdf
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 11 Jul 2013 at 6:20pm
I have been making progress on the framework and now have a 'rolling chassis'. The basic frame has been blasted and powder coated, the aluminium side panels have been cleaned up and painted in silver grey hammered paint. I have made up new top guards and painted them to match the frame. Wheels painted and new main tyres, oilite bushes for the front wheels to replace the unavailable plastic originals. I will be able to salvage the original handgrips. I am waiting on someone sending me a detailed photo of the Hayter makers plate so that I can get a copy of some kind made.
The colours used are as near to the original as possible, slightly lighter.
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 2:18pm
I've started on the Villiers Mk15 and guess what?....No spark. I shall contemplate an electronic ignition module from Mr Shead...
    http://www.villiersparts.co.uk/ignition.html
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:03am
Having fitted a nice electronic ignition module and timed it all up, it ran like a pig... minor head scratching has revealed that the 'mix and match' B10/1 carb that I lovingly put together from the original engine and a spare, resulted in the use of a carb body with the wrong choke size... Should be 7/16", I had fitted 5/16". Now rebuilt with the correct choke body, it runs as it should, albeit a bit smokey.
I still need to make the swinging guards and locate a new drive belt...
IP IP Logged
marktheherald
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote marktheherald Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 2:13pm
Slightly out of focus, but I fitted the engine for this photo... A wee problem has reared it's ugly head, engine starts instantly when not connected to cutter head but refuses when the belt is fitted. My first thought is that I am unable to turn the engine over fast enough with the kick start and a load applied, and maybe this is an issue with the electronic ignition?
Or do I need to play with the carb settings?
Any suggestions?
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 6:48pm
Had exactly that problem about 40 years ago! Basically the engine was tired and starting under load was the final straw.
Try a squirt of oil down the bore  - if that perks it up you are looking at new rings or a re-bore plus piston and rings.
You could just try a valve job, reface the valves and skim the seats, lap in, set the clearances and see if it helps but I doubt it - too easy!
The fact that it fires up off load would suggest that the ignition is OK, don't spend money there until you have sorted the more basic stuff!
Can't make out from your image as to whether it has a pulley for a starter rope but if it has try a long rope and see if taking it through a couple of compression strokes with one pull makes any difference.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version