Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Enfield C100 Post Reply Post New Topic
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Topic: Enfield C100
    Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:04am
I just bought of ebuy, an Enfield C100, twin horizontally opposed, air cooled diesel engine.

I bought it because I thought it looks like a beautiful looking engine and I had never seen one before.

It is 1570cc and I have been assured it had been running last week and I have no problems with that.

Has anyone any idea what use it could be or is it more fitting the stationary engine forums. I do think when this is cleaned, refitted and polished it will look out of this world.

Phil

IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:24am
Now just something nice and unusual on its own but do you have any idea of its original application?
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 11:32am
It was being used on a very large saw bench. I have looked up the engine and they were used in the 1950s in boats and it does say there is a tractor gear box available?

Output is 10 BHP at 1500rpm. It weight about 300kgs if not more. I used a 750 kg hydraulic lift and it was straining.

Phil
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:44pm
The Navy used them in 27 foot whalers. Had a reputation for being a bit difficult to start and very very noisy. I've got one out of a whaler with a foward/reverse gearbox which is currently in component parts. Looking for an oil pump if anyone knows where one is...
There doesn't seem to be much about them on the internet, Though Peter Forbes has some info on his website www.stationary-engine.net
HTH
Andrew
The more I work with petrols, the more I like diesels...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Dididothat

It was being used on a very large saw bench. I have looked up the engine and they were used in the 1950s in boats and it does say there is a tractor gear box available?

Output is 10 BHP at 1500rpm. It weight about 300kgs if not more. I used a 750 kg hydraulic lift and it was straining.

Phil

Clip of one running on Youtube - not you is it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxfIzgMeh20&feature=player_detailpage
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 2:09pm
I've been on Peter Forbes website and got some good info from there.

No that's not mine or me, but if mine starts as good as that I will be a happy man. I just need a use for it now. I feel another project in the air.

I will have to get the missus going with the autosol and t-cut this weekend, far more important than ironing.

Phil
IP IP Logged
jtg1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jtg1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 5:55pm
a flat twin was used in a couple of horticultural tracctors, newman was one, possibly byron. only examples i've seen have had, i believe coventry victor flat twin petrol engines, but possibly disel options were available
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!
IP IP Logged
sten
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote sten Replybullet Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 7:29pm
I used to have a single cylinder Enfield diesel, it came off a baler, it too was very noisy and a pig to start.
IP IP Logged
Web2
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Web2 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 10:25pm
The Coventry Victor Cub Diesel version was used in the smallest version of the Bristol Crawler Tractor (the Bristol 10) from 1939-40. They only made 12 of them and we had the only one left in the UK (that we know of!) and there was one in the USA. This was when we were running the Bristol 10 Crawler Tractor Register.   The Diesel was sold on the understanding that the new owner would also run the Register. This was about four years ago and he still runs the Register and, as far as know, he still has the tractor.

Jean
IP IP Logged
milkman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote milkman Replybullet Posted: 21 Jul 2012 at 8:55pm
I believe that they were fitted into Lansing Bagnall tractors that were used on railway stations for pulling  luggage trailers?  My mate has a single cylinder Enfield and it runs nicely but noisy!

Pete.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version