Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Pickering Steam Rally Photos 2012 Post Reply Post New Topic
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote alan Replybullet Topic: Pickering Steam Rally Photos 2012
    Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 9:50pm

This is going to read like one of those "What I did in my school holiday" type reports - sorry!

For the second weekend in a row I managed to get to a show. We went to Pickering Traction Engine Rally in Yorkshire which is a couple of hours drive from where I live - but it's a good show so off we went.

It was also quite a good day weather-wise and the sun shone but there was heavy rain and thunder mid afternoon and everyone just ran for cover into all the trade tents and stalls - think some stalls were glad to see customers! Rain passed after about 10 minutes and the day continued like nothing had happened.

There weren't a lot of horticultural stuff there, just the ones I have photographed and they didn't have log-sheets on either. There were a couple of really good Ransomes mowers but I forgot to get pictures. Lots of stationary engines (brilliant turn out of stationery engine people) but by the time I got to them most of the engines had been stopped and sheeted up because of the heavy rain so I only saw a couple actually running.

There's a lot of equipment and machinery working at the show so it is worth going. Big turn out of wagons, cars, motorbikes, steam ploughing, military vehicles. Also auto-jumble, stalls, funfair, big wheel (didn't go on it!).

Anyway here's a selection of photos of what was there (some photos are actually horticultural machines).

Horticultural machines:

Below: This was a nice display and I thought the info written on blackboards was very effective. I always like to see info about machines, their history etc. I see that the owner has put some effort and thought into his exhibit - well done that man! Note that none of the above machines in the photos have any info on them!

I really like steam rollers and traction engines of any sort - so I took a few photos just to show what was there. Slight deviation from horticulture to steam here.....

Notice the Ransomes, Sims & Jefferies badge on this one.

I think I'd need a smaller machine like the one below (cost, storage, transport etc - never gonna happen though so I'll stick with garden tractors)

There was a road making demonstration with quite a few bits of equipment working.

And this wonderful machine was working too:

Of course there were dozens of tractors so we spent ages looking at those and then talking to folk...

IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
Can anyone identify the make of that small truck with the BSA 420 engine on it ??.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:08pm
hi. was going to this event but other more pressing things came up.cannot make out what type of sythe the yellow machine is.can you identify for me. ? poss barford or allen. thanks for pictures Alan.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:26pm

Not sure what the red truck is or the yellow one (I guess you meant the red one) but I have this other photo of the yellow one.

(Anyone remember the tongue-twister 'red lorry yellow lorry' - well I think my above sentence just reinvented it)

IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 10:31pm

I did look out to see if you were at the show John, but saw you weren't there.

The yellow Scythe says 'Allen Oxford' on the wheels but other than that I don't know why it is yellow. The machine appeared to be absolutely complete and original.

IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 11:30pm
The scythe is indeed an ALLEN it is an early one, you can tell by the crossbars on the handles, also I believe that this model had a bronze gearcase and no wheel ratchets, it seems that for safety the owner has removed the drive bar that works the cutter.
plonker
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 7:12am
thanks for that Alan and Plonker. there was an enquiry on here not long back where cally was not sure what his truck was,so some photos where put on from a working day and there was another picture of a winget dumper and the same truck in question sat next to it.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 8:18am
The Allen scythe is a MK 2.

Should be green & red but maybe it was sold to a council etc when it left the factory in the 40s & the owner has restored it back to that spec

Or maybe he was too tight to buy any green paint & used a tin which he already had in stock!
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
Busman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Busman Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 9:39am
There was an Allen scythe for sale in the autojumble section of the show.  Was rusty but seemed to be complete.  Couldn't get a photo as it was absolutely heaving with people.
IP IP Logged
alan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote alan Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2012 at 11:22am

I did see the Allen scythe in the auto-jumble section and we had a good look at it.

It didn't look like it had done much work and had almost all what appeared to be the original paintwork intact.

Would have bought it but where would I have put it will all this stuff we keep gathering up?

Also I bet the price was far more than I'd want to pay!

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version