Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: MTD E/130 (lawnflite 904) problems Post Reply Post New Topic
jonny

Online Status: Offline
Quote jonny Replybullet Topic: MTD E/130 (lawnflite 904) problems
    Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 9:26am
Hi.

I have an MTD E/130 (Model No. 13CA768N768)

When I engage in forward or reverse and release the brake/clutch pedal, away I go, but I hear a clunk/thump coming from the transaxle area, which is worse if going faster or on an incline. Its like the gear is popping out, and the tractor lurches as it does the noise.

I am figuring something in the transaxle might be sheered, or with worn teeth, but its a monster job to tak off and look as I have to take the wheels, lower axle and chain drives off the tractor before I can even take the transaxle out.

Does anybody have any advice? Does it sound like a transaxle stripdown, or could it be something more simple like a worn drive belt, pulley, or clutch problem?
thanks

Jon
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 12:02pm
Forward / reverse are selected by moving a "shift collar" between two bevel gears. The collar engages the bevels with square cut dogs which may have worn and be "caming out" under load.   Before you rip the box apart just check that nothing is obstructing the external linkage but if the problem has been around for some time it has probably damaged the dogs anyway. 
IP IP Logged
Simon Smith
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Simon Smith Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2012 at 2:04pm
I would check the axle bushes and chains / sprockets first. It's quite common for the chains to jump a tooth when they get worn. Usually worse when on a slope.
IP IP Logged
jonny

Quote jonny Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 6:23pm
thanks for the replies all.

so took the plunge and took it all apart.

both chains and sprockets look fine left and right, so moved on to the transaxle. Took it out and cracked it open.

Again, all looks well.

The clutch collar and 42 tooth gears look in good condition and no rounding off, or missing teeth. Infact everything looks pretty good.

I lifted the differential and shaft out. Is it normal for there to be a large amount of play in each shaft going into the sealed diff?
When it seats in the transaxle case it is held rigid of course, but just wondered if it could be the issue. Can really get inside the diff, to see if anything inside that has worn out, but is sounds alright. ??

I was really hoping to open it up and see something obvious that was rounded off or broken, but even more frustrating is that I didn't.

Any further advice would be really appreciated.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2012 at 11:44pm
When the axles and diff are unsupported they do flop about. The diff casings (diff can) have been either riveted or screwed to the bull gear. In fact I seem to remember that at some time there was an issue with the cans working loose. If yours is screwed it's easy to have a look but make sure that you do them up good and tight with plenty of Loctite. If riveted you can still have a look but reassembly gets a bit more complicated. However, as far as I know the diff bevel gears are not available as a replacement part.
Going back to the possible issue with the chains it's amazing how the passing of time dulls the senses. Simon Smith is absolutely right in suggesting chains as the first point of call - ten years ago I would have said the same !! I know that you have had a look at them and given them the all clear but double check the big "bronze" bushes at the bottom of the cases that support the lower sprocket and axles. Very little ovality in their bores allows the chain to slacken .  
A final straw to grasp at is the operation of the detent ball on the selector shaft. However  I'm sure that you would be aware of having to put it back into gear if it jumped out!
IP IP Logged
jonny

Quote jonny Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 11:28pm
just wanted to thank the posters who replied to my query.
sometimes you overlook things when you think the problem is elsewhere.
I went back to the drive chains as recommended.
turns out the actual frame/body of the tractor was buckled, stopping the diff axle fully seating into chain housing. Just a tiny bit, but enough to cause the slipping.
All fixed now. Just goes to show. Always check everything in order of disassembly.
thanks again
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version