Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Any "Jolly" mowers about. Post Reply Post New Topic
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote old mower man Replybullet Topic: Any "Jolly" mowers about.
    Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 9:37pm
Hi.

Does anybody have one of these mowers or know of any.

I think they date from around 1960 .

Thanks.
Robin.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 10:02am
Someone will have seen one, I'm sure...
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
jtg1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jtg1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 12:27pm
yes!! having dug my way to the shed, can confirm identity of hither too mystery machine! decks are stamped from 18G sheet, so not at all substantial to start with, but mine has ben visited by a very hungry tin worm, so even less so now!!
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 4:21pm
The 2 stroke engine shown is a Clinton 2.25hp "Panther" with cast iron bore.Its identical to that fitted in my 3 wheeled "Multi-Gardener" mower that i posted some pics of last year.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 5:44pm
Very similar asymmetric wheel  layout and front right grass exit as the Qualcast Rotacut which first appeared with a 2-stroke JAP in 1957 and was still in production witha 4-stroke Aspera engine in the late sixty's.
IP IP Logged
Dorigny
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dorigny Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:01pm
Where there some Norletts, slightly more recent, with a similar chassis layout...perhaps a smaller cut though...16" ?

Clive.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Dorigny

Where there some Norletts, slightly more recent, with a similar chassis layout...perhaps a smaller cut though...16" ?

Clive.

Norlett certainly made a 16" rotary with a Briggs engine but I can't find any pictures.
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by jtg1

yes!! having dug my way to the shed, can confirm identity of hither too mystery machine! decks are stamped from 18G sheet, so not at all substantial to start with, but mine has ben visited by a very hungry tin worm, so even less so now!!

Hi jtg1.

Thanks for looking ,sorry to read that it's suffering from tin worm .
Could you give me more info please, what engine does it have , are the handles bolted to the deck or do they pivot on the deck and does it still have the "jolly" logo also what was the original colour .
Robin
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by Stuart.

The 2 stroke engine shown is a Clinton 2.25hp "Panther" with cast iron bore.Its identical to that fitted in my 3 wheeled "Multi-Gardener" mower that i posted some pics of last year.

Hi Stuart.

Thanks for your reply.

You are right both the models are fitted with Clinton engines but the 2stroke is a 501 rated 2.75hp an aluminium engine with a castiron sleeve the 4stroke is a 415 rated 3.5hp aluminium with cast iron sleeve .
Robin
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by wristpin

Very similar asymmetric wheel  layout and front right grass exit as the Qualcast Rotacut which first appeared with a 2-stroke JAP in 1957 and was still in production witha 4-stroke Aspera engine in the late sixty's.

Hi wristpin,

Thanks for your reply .

You can also add to the list of mowers with a similar wheel layout the Ransomes "cyclone" with the JAP 2stroke and the Ransomes "Typhoon" with the clinton 2stroke and Villiers 4stoke engines and Suffolk made the "galaxy" with an Aspera engine Suffolk also made a couple of earlier rotary mower but cant remember the layout.
Robin.
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 12:02pm
These are the two Ransomes mowers mentioned above.

The Clinton engine is a VS400 2.5hp "panther".

Robin.
IP IP Logged
Dorigny
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dorigny Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 1:12pm
Of the more recent Norlett I mentioned earlier....I seem to recall working on one with a black painted Aspera 3hp 4 stroke and another, that may still be somewhere in a shed at work, that has an Aspera 2 stroke with under deck exhaust box.

Clive.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by old mower man

Originally posted by wristpin

Hi wristpin,

Thanks for your reply .

You can also add to the list of mowers with a similar wheel layout the Ransomes "cyclone" with the JAP 2stroke and the Ransomes "Typhoon" with the clinton 2stroke and Villiers 4stoke engines and Suffolk made the "galaxy" with an Aspera engine Suffolk also made a couple of earlier rotary mower but cant remember the layout.
Robin.

Vague memories of the Galaxy - did it have a yellow deck? Bad memories of a Typhoon with a Villiers Lightweight - very early in my involvement with mowers I was asked to service it but in truth it was knackered an no amount of "servicing" was going to achieve what the owner expected. An early lesson in customer expectations versus reality!
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 5:05pm
Hi.
Yes you are right the deck was yellow .

Robin
IP IP Logged
jtg1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jtg1 Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 5:50pm
colour appears to be a pale/pastel/powder blue, the decal was yellow, but all trace of wording has long since dissapeared. engine is clinton, seriel number 2119311, model number 501 0000 063 C . sure they mean something to some one, but all clinton engines look alike to me!!
The impossible i do at once, miracles take just that little bit longer!
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 6:18pm
Just reading through some back issues of LAGC magazine there's an article on Evinrude mowers, there's one in there with the same layout (asymmetrical wheels)...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by pmackellow

Just reading through some back issues of LAGC magazine there's an article on Evinrude mowers, there's one in there with the same layout (asymmetrical wheels)...

Also from the USA various Lawnboy models with similar layout.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by jtg1

colour appears to be a pale/pastel/powder blue, the decal was yellow, but all trace of wording has long since dissapeared. engine is clinton, seriel number 2119311, model number 501 0000 063 C . sure they mean something to some one, but all clinton engines look alike to me!!

Think that the blue ones were badged Qualcast Rotacut. Same colour as the early Concordes.
IP IP Logged
old mower man
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote old mower man Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Dorigny

Of the more recent Norlett I mentioned earlier....I seem to recall working on one with a black painted Aspera 3hp 4 stroke and another, that may still be somewhere in a shed at work, that has an Aspera 2 stroke with under deck exhaust box.

Clive.

Hi Clive,
you are right. Looking through the Norlet material I've got I found that Norlet made the 516 A 2T a 16" mower fitted with an Aspera TA 633 2stroke engine and 516 A 4T fitted with an Aspera LAV 35 and in 1976 would cost £54 and £58 both plus VAT. The picture shows them later renamed Lawnchief 400 a 16" machine and the Lawnchief 480 is 19" both fitted with Briggs and Stratton engines 3HP and 3 1/2HP on the larger one .

Robin.
IP IP Logged
Dorigny
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dorigny Replybullet Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:47pm
Thank you for following up my Norlett quest. The 4 stroke one I recall came in for a "get going", "service"... I remember now putting things to rights only then to start it up and have it nearly rev its "attributes" off... Poorly governor gear and sump off to complete the repair.... and a new blade from RH Crawford..a shaped blade with chamfered sides all the way along and looked either an anodised sort of shiny finish or stainless sort of look.? Must have been a mid to late 1980s repair that I'm thinking back to..

I must see if I can find the 2 stroke one at work and snap a photo. I have an idea that it could be a more recent 2 stroke model than a TA633.?

Both that I recall were a dark mustard colour chassis.

Thank you,
        Clive.
IP IP Logged
Dorigny
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dorigny Replybullet Posted: 25 Jan 2013 at 5:43pm

I went to the cart shed today on the hunt for a piece of timber...and remembered the poor old Norlett. So here is a photo of said mower...sadly minus its handles. It did turn out to be a more recent 2 stroke, an AV520.   

Clive.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version