Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Howard 400 Post Reply Post New Topic
Dangermouse

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dangermouse Replybullet Topic: Howard 400
    Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
My partner's grandfather has just passed away at 101 and we have become the owners of a Howard 400 rotavator. The machine has been laid up for 20 odd years because the engine big end went. The engine was stripped down and just left, so is just a rusty lump now. The engine is a Kohler, but does anyone know if a Briggs and Straton engine would fit, as these seem more common than the kohler ones. the rest of the rotavator is like new and has the extra heavy duty bar for heavy ground as well as the usual L shapped feet bar.
IP IP Logged
hitchinsm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hitchinsm Replybullet Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 10:04pm
Any of the American engines will be there or there abouts.

A forum member told me I had 42 Kohler engines off Howards last weekend as he had counted them as I could not be bothered.
Regards Mike
IP IP Logged
Martinh
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martinh Replybullet Posted: 14 Feb 2013 at 10:21pm
Just a point I guess I will upset some people My preference would be  find a  replacement Kohler Everthing  should fit  then  carbs linkages /etc. Briggs do not have the grunt of the Kohler.  There are usually odd engines for sale within the club, and if not there is some sort of web site where people sell stuff , that might be useful. Try and look at any purchase first if you can . What someone says is in brilliant condition may not be. Still thats what we do take  crap , wave a magic wand, say a few words and it is running again !! 
Martin. The Village Idiot
IP IP Logged
hitchinsm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hitchinsm Replybullet Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 6:58am
Martin is not a village idiot he is actually talking common sense.
As I have bought many machines and Kohler engines over the years that have been best described as wrongly described.
Latest one turned up to collect machine from a very large house in Market Drayton. Machine parked outside a garage you would die for. Bloke said, just washed it off and it has run out of petrol, put my hand on it and it was warm. Not a problem winched it onto trailer and away I went.
Said to my mate this is a nice machine won't export it I will get it running in five minutes. An hour later took the engine off; I could then see the sump had been off. Found engine had been seized and con rod had been changed although the crank required a regrind and then had started to seize again. Ended up as a full rebuild.
Regards Mike
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version