Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: Lea Francis Uni-Horse Post Reply Post New Topic
expeatfarmer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote expeatfarmer Replybullet Topic: Lea Francis Uni-Horse
    Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 2:29pm
In my search for a Ransomes ITW I have been offered a Uni_horse. It has not run for a few years but I believe it to be complete. Does anyone know if there is a source of spares for these machines. I have yet to view it and as yet I do not know what age or model it is. Although it will do the job I want to achieve with an ITW I would prefer to keep to my brand. I will keep you posted on the acquisition and may offer a swap deal. Are many of these machines knopwn of within the club?
IP IP Logged
garfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote garfield Replybullet Posted: 19 Feb 2013 at 7:40pm
I HAVE ONE 2 RESTORE WITH A FINGER CUTTERBAR FRONT MOUNTED A PLOUGH HOPEFULL 2 MAKE A START IN MARCH READY 4 JUNE LOCAL SHOW ENGINE HAS BEEN ON WORKBENCH 2 SEASONS NOW HAD IT RUNNING SWEET AS BSA UNIT SOME PARTS I WILL HAVE 2 MAKE BUT THAT SHUDNOT BE A PROBLEM. QUITE A NICE LITTLE TRACTOR DIFFERENT
Thanking you in anticipation
IP IP Logged
expeatfarmer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote expeatfarmer Replybullet Posted: 20 Feb 2013 at 11:04am
Good luck with the rebuild, it turns out that there is a member in Carlisle area that has one of these so it may be worth meeting up with him. Looking at the new directory these little tractors are scarce.
IP IP Logged
Franktonpaget
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Franktonpaget Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 7:19am
There have been several very nice restored examples at the Malvern Tractor World event  together with with one a Unihorse tractor history complete with photographs.
The early examples used the BSA  engine used in BMB Cultmate, Coleby Shire and cultivators and also on I think some bale elevators/mixers  amongst other applications.
Later models used Mag, Hatz,JLO and even a Reliant engine (no it was not a three wheel model).
The one thing that makes these tractors stand out is the very nice bonnet/engine surround almost artistic which I suppose came from the original Lea Francis car company  design side with the Sea Horse bonnet badge being the trade mark of the Lea Francis Company.
You do wonder in Coventry with Standard producing the Ferguson tractor other
manufacturers thought tractors might be a good product to get involved with.

regards FP
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:41am
Uni-Horse at Malvern last year.

Uni-Horse at Yesterdays Farming with Reliant engine.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
steve.woollas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve.woollas Replybullet Posted: 21 Feb 2013 at 9:31pm
A Little More Info on Lea-Francis
The Lea Francis UniHorse tractor was launched in 1961 by which time this company, which could trace its history back to cycle manufacture in the mid 1890s, was in its final throws fighting for survival particularly as the newly launched Lynx car (1960) failed to create any orders. During 1962 the company was declared inslovent for the sum of 130,000, the administrators called in and the rights to the tractor design and the right to use the name Lea Francis Unihorse in conjunction with the production of the tractor were sold to Williams Ltd who continued production until c1966. 
This was a sad end for such an old company that built many models of motor cars interestingly majoring on the use of Meadows engines during the 1920s and 1930s. Vulcan Motors also built Lea Francis cars under licence. Following the continuation of motor car production in 1946 Lea Francis designed and built some very attractive cars which really deserved a better public reaction than they recieved. 
The name "UniHorse" is derived from the Lea Francis badge/logo which was part unicorn and part sea horse.
Keep On Cultivating
IP IP Logged
Franktonpaget
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Franktonpaget Replybullet Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:12am
On the engine block of the red painted Unihorse you may just be able to make out the name RELIANT

regards FP
IP IP Logged
garfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote garfield Replybullet Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm
the first pic you posted charlie is the same one i have now i no what i need to make a ratchet handle and what shape
Thanking you in anticipation
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version