Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Howard Bantam with Villiers Mk15 HS Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 9:18pm
The postman bought me some goodies from Meetens today..... All fitted, new Plunger for the fuel tap, new fuel line and a new original Coopers oil bath air filter. The new throttle cable also arrived but is slightly too short. A replacement will be manufactured as its not currently stocked using my old one as the template.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 8:51am
Really looking good now. The air filter shows what a good stock Meetens hold or have access to.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 8:35am
Thanks Charlie. Yes Meetens do have access to pretty much everything and gives excellent service too!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 8:46am
I now have a question with regard to the age of this machine. I want to source the correct decals for it, but im not sure if its a Howard or a Howard Clifford??? There were virtually no decals left on it. There were the remains of a Crest on the end of the fuel tank and a black rectangular decal relating to the oil filling of the machine on the hinged panel of the engine shroud. The aluminium engine plate bears the Mark 15HS and the No 661B 19163.
Whilst the engine was apart I looked for a year stamp on the flywheel, but only found a '58' stamped between the cooling fins.
Can anyone help with dating this so I can get the correct decals for it?
Thanks guys
Darren
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 5:48pm
Hi Darren, ive had about 4-5 of the Bantams fitted with a mk 15 and on all but one the fuel tank had Howard-Clifford decals on the end, but one had the royal crest.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 6:02pm
darren fantastic job going on there,shes going to luck super great best of luck.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 9:20pm
Cheers for that Gareth, this definately had the crest on the end of the tank and the one about being level when filling the oil..... but that was it, nothing else!
Thanks John, its not quite the mammoth task the Gem's were, but still a learning curve. I do want to use this one as it will be manageable on my allotment.
IP IP Logged
hortiman
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote hortiman Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 8:29pm
Hi Darren
My Mk15 has Howard-Clifford decals on ends of tank and black one on the hinged flap regarding oil filling.
You are making a superb job of that machine,seems a shame to use it !!
Chris
"God speed the plough" Preferably on RED Diesel
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 9:59pm
Stunning Stunning Stunning Darren!!

All I can say on top of that is, Look out for your Post(person) Wednesday/Thursday!!

Titch
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 22 Apr 2013 at 10:25pm
Thanks Chris, I know what your saying, but this one will have to earn its keep! The series 1 Gem is a much older girl and is retired from hard graft as the bits are harder to find now. But it will be a fully functioning exhibit.
Thankyou very much Titch, You didnt have too........ but thanks! Now go and enjoy your break!!!
Darren
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 3:55pm
Had a call from the Powder Coaters today, "Your bits for your rotavator are ready...." I only dropped them off Tuesday!!! Still that means my 12 days off will be spent in the garage......... Here's the frame for the Bantam in its component parts, all shot blasted and freshly powder coated.

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 4:01pm
The Postie also has brought good news today! Titch has been working his magic again...... In the form of a full set of Decals for the Bantam, including a new aluminium ID plate for the engine. Here are the full range of decals available for the Bantam.......

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 4:01pm
 Oooooops pressed enter twice!!!

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 4:08pm
I have decided to go with the Howard Clifford set of decals...... Just need to figure out the correct placement for them, as I only had the remains of 2 on it. The Crest will be on the end of the tank, and the oil filling instuction goes on the back of the engine.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 5:47pm
Im guessing that the 3 smaller Howard Clifford (red Bantam) decals are for the fuel tank, one on the end, and the other 2 next to the straps?? The large Howard rotavator one would I assume be for the soil flap??  The two larger Howard Clifford (black Bantam) decals would be for the rotor cover?? I know where the Crest and Oil filling one lives, but not sure where the yellow safety related one should go??
Does anyone have a picture or know where they should be placed please??? 
Darren
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 8:38pm
Yellow safety would not of been fitted. Originally the howard clifford would of been fitted to the tank ends where you found your crest. If using the two howard clifford decals on the rear tyne cover then the howard rotavator wouldnt of been used either.The engine must be level goes on the back of the air shroud that hinges round the cylinder. Wish i could get my blaster to blast my machine that quick, been waiting scice febuary for mine, getting a little bit sick of hearing " will definatley be done this weekend..."
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 25 Apr 2013 at 11:08pm
Right, ok So no yellow one....... Which ones would be correct if the tank has the royal crest??? I have scoured the internet and not been able to find any pictures of Bantams with the decals in place! Help please???
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 10:05pm

Spent a hour or two in the garage this afternoon, re-tapped all the threads to clean off the excess powder coating, will make it a bit easier to reassemble. Then put the handlebars back together.

IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:32pm
You are doing a really nice job on this machine. I have a bantam in the shed with all sorts of problems and missing parts, hopefully one day i will get it to look as good as yours. I like the way you apply paint, i am going to see if anywhwere around here will do the same. Do you have to give a code?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 11:55pm
Hi there, the paint code is BS592 and the Powder coat code is RAL2001.........
Hope that helps!
Darren
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2013 at 3:01pm
Hi darren heres the badge we spoke about for the side of the rotor sheild.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 30 Apr 2013 at 11:09pm
Did a little job on the Bantam project as well today. The Throttle cable from Meetens arrived with the post this afternoon. Threaded the cable back into the handlebars, is a bit of a pain getting it back out at the top, but the trusty pick set proved its worth again. Refitted the throttle lever, and set about making a few gaskets, ready for when I need them.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:09pm
Here is the rotor section that I purchased on the well known auction site. It was missing from the machine when I got it. This one is in really good condition with only a few dents on the rotor cover. Even the original decals are still visible. This one hasn't even cracked in the usual place..... I have got a plan to hopefully prevent said crack from appearing.

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:16pm
Have now removed the covers for dent removal. The front cover has a few dents from the inside, I will heat the metal using the blowlamp and tap it back into shape using the hammer and dolly. The small rear cover and soil flap are fine, just need shot blasting and powder coating.

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:21pm
The rotors themselves are in a good condition. All turns very easily by hand with no nasty noises. Im not going to strip this down, just remove the paint with a paint stripper, then clean up the surfaces with the wire wheel, a coat of etch primer and some top coat and that should be all that's required, Apart from an oil change.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:29pm
Got all the dents removed from the front cover today. I then welded around the front of the depth leg support, this will I hope prevent the crack from forming in this area. As a precaution I have also welded between the factory welds. I didn't take any photo's of this as I was a bit pressed for time. The covers are now with the powder coaters, should be back in about 2 weeks as they are having a new blast cabinet installed over the bank holiday.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:02pm
I haven't done much for the last couple of days. My other commitments have taken over. Have spent a couple of days planting at the allotment, beans, peas, tomatoes, courgettes, cucumber, spuds and the list goes on....... Today is the wife's birthday, so breakfast in bed duties then shopping till lunch. Once home I have power washed the patio and path in the garden, also done the path at the front and the block drive. Then it was the cars turn, Whilst the wife was looking the other way I did the drive wheel section of the bantam. It was covered in a lot of oil/soil mix, which had dried into a hard crust! Here's a picture once cleaned.....
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:09pm
I then "married" the rotors to the drive wheels. This was to check everything works before prep and painting. I am pleased to say all is good. One question I do have is, Should there be a gasket between the 2 sections on the drive tube? I cant see any way that would prevent oil leaking from this joint without one.....

IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:41pm
Hi Darren just checked the book,there is a gasket, part number 20463,
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 04 May 2013 at 11:28pm
Cheers Gareth, I will knock one up on Monday.
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:18am
Not done much to this project for the last week. Had a request from a friend to make up an adapting plate for his Bandit 1200 exhaust....... He wanted to fit a carbon fibre can, but the stainless flange of the exhaust had 3 bolt holes and his carbon can had 4. This is what we came up with. Its cut from a 10mm chunk of steel, then hand cut to a rough shape with plenty of filing....... Holes were then marked, centre punched and then drilled on the pillar drill. Those which needed a tap running through were done and the 4 remaining were countersunk. The big hole in the middle required lots of smaller holes then a saw to join them up, before filing away the excess. The finish was achieved using a flap disc on the drill. Its taken quite a few hours and plenty of trial fits and templates to make sure it fitted well. Result = one happy buddy!  
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2013 at 11:33am
The only thing I have done on the Bantam this week is to fit Titch's brilliant replacement aluminium ID plate, complete with the now engraved serial numbers and to fit the new 3/4" handlebar grips. Not heard from the powder coater yet, so next week will see the rotors and drive wheels get the paint treatment......
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2013 at 3:51pm
Starting to come on nicely, i'm still trying to get the motivation to repair the damage done to mine durring the brake in. The handle grips look allmost original, where did you source them from?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2013 at 7:34pm
Hi Gareth, its a company called rubberxpress, based in Fareham Hampshire. I found them on e##y, will pm you the details if you want?
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 12 May 2013 at 8:00pm
A little progress this afternoon. Have used Nitromor paint stripper and a wire brush to remove all the old paint from the rotor section. Here it is all etched primed ready for top coat next week. Just the drive wheels left to do now, maybe a job for tomorrow afternoon. After a bit of sleep from tonights shift........
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version