Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Auto culto field Model L Post Reply Post New Topic
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Topic: Auto culto field Model L
    Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:27pm
I ,have just purchased a auto culto model L with a villiers engine with two exhausts ??
I had the engine running a treat ,however it has seized solid,can anybody tell me which engine this is?
Where can I get spares / re furbed engine?

In anticipation many thanks
Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:46pm
Villiers MK 25A , parts are now VERY hard to come by , try taking it apart to really see what has happened.

Andy.
Early Villiers Twostroke spares Always Wanted
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:52pm
Many thanks Andy ,strip down it is then
Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 9:56pm
Did you have oil in the fuel??
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 02 Apr 2013 at 10:01pm
Thanks Chris ,yes I followed the instructions on the cap and used Morris classic oil after research (sae 30 equivalent to castrol xl30)

Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:52am
Where are you based Dai?

Be very careful with these engines, I have a couple of them and they are like Wheelhorse poo!

We will try and help as much as possible.
It is possible to remove the engine withouth taking the wheel off but they are a pain to get at if you don't remove the wheel. 

Phil
IP IP Logged
Martinh
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martinh Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 6:41pm
Silly Question  were you using unleaded petrol in your mix ? I seized a JAP up on a SHAY rotavator . Someone said , Unleaded burns hotter, especially fresh unleaded . so  a little more oil in the mix or use an addittivve in the petrol . Does anyone know if this works of is true ? 
Martin. The Village Idiot
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 6:42pm
It is worth keeping an eye on that auction site , I picked up a brand new piston for one of these for next to nothing a few weeks ago.

Andy.
Early Villiers Twostroke spares Always Wanted
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:42pm
Thanks Phil ,I am based in Usk,any advice would be grateful ,however I am fortunate to work with a couple of vintage bike enthusiasts with a willing hand but it would seem that spares will be an issue
I think I may have that feaces touch where everything turns to poo
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 8:46pm
Thanks for the post Martin,I checked this out with the vintage bike boffins and they assured me that the two stoke engine is not affected by this.my only knowledge of 2strokes was the suzuki in the 80s but I am learning fast :-)
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 3:18pm
Meetens may have a few parts left, but there is not much to go wrong, so the engine is probably repairable.
Jim
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 9:20pm
Thanks Jim ,I am looking to strip down soon
I'll keep the name to see about spares
Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 5:55am
Hi. Sorry to hear about the unfortunate pending problem. All my engines wether they are 2 stroke or not are all running on a petrol oil mix as you are better to have extra protection and it does nor effect the running of the 4strokes.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:03am
Just a thought on petroil mix - you need to use a standard SAE 30 as the oil. Many modern multigrades and two stroke oils, and probably all synthetic oils are bad for some of the bearing materials in old engines. I use Morris "Classic" SAE 30 in mine.

Jim

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
Reiver
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Reiver Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 7:16pm
Hello,
        A couple of years ago,I got a brand new standard barrel ,piston and rings from villiers services  for my 25A no problem.
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 9:25pm
Thanks all for your help,I have this evening stripped down the head,piston and barrel.trust me there must be a God as the piston and barrel were unmarked and undamaged.
Still the crank would not turn,on further investigation it appears that the bolt holding the flywheel on had come loose,after tightening and supporting the piston the whole lot turned up and down easily .
However as I've read in the forum ,somebody has wedged the fan and stripped off all bar 2 fins(new fan to follow)

I have mixed Morris sae 30 classic oil in place of castrol xl and I am pleased to say there was a nice film of oil on both barrel and piston.

Just being a dull plumber,I am rather pleased with myself,all those 5 tap washer jobs that I have done for old ladies have just been repaid by somebody .

Once again thank you for all your help and comments
Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Martinh

Silly Question  were you using unleaded petrol in your mix ? I seized a JAP up on a SHAY rotavator . Someone said , Unleaded burns hotter, especially fresh unleaded . so  a little more oil in the mix or use an addittivve in the petrol . Does anyone know if this works of is true ? 

This was explained to me by the technical manager of Victa when unleaded was introduced and people were adding a bit more oil for good measure.
If you add extra oil, every given quantity of mixed fuel contains a greater proportion of oil than recommended. A greater amount of oil in a given volume means a lesser amount of petrol. Less petrol equates to a weaker mixture and a weaker mixture creates a hotter running engine.
So if you are concerned about the use of unleaded use a lead replacement additive and not extra oil. I've never used a lead replacement additive in a 2-stroke and I believe that most, if not all, were formulated with 4-stroke engines in mind. It occurs to me that the use of an additive in a 2-stroke may give rise to plug fouling. perhaps other forum members have personal experience.
Without going back over ground that has been given a good airing on this forum I am a great believer in using a "period 2-stroke oil" in a period engine - not a modern semi or fully synthetic.
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 05 Apr 2013 at 10:37pm
Dai,
that's a good result! Fans turn up on eBay regularly, as they are common to several engines.
The 25C manual here:

gives some idea of how the fan fits, and the two types for that model (3 or 4 hole fixing, depending on whether it is just a magneto, or a magdyno).
Jimhttp://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto/pdf/villiers25c.pdf

IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 9:39am
Thanks Jim ,just checked the fan and there is only one hole .
My vintage bike friends have told me that they made a pattern for the same fan to fit on a Allen scythe ,if they can find the pattern and it's the same they said that they will cast one next week.
Regards Dai
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 3:57pm
Try posting some pictures Dia, it will give us a bit more of an idea on what your problems are. My Field L had problems with the fan similar to you, not one fan blade left and someone had made an aluminium homemade fan and fitted it to the mag, needless to say it was a disaster.
Andy Frost helped me out with a fan, not the same type but it was made to fit and works great.
If you can afford to get an electric impact hammer socket set. You will never have a problem removing a flywheel again.

Phil
IP IP Logged
Gow03333
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Gow03333 Replybullet Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 11:37pm
Thanks Phil ,the vintage bike boys came over today,i have only had the machine for a fortnight and was waiting for some nice weather ,it appear that the fan and flywheel had worked worked loose and started oscillating in the fan ducting ,thus snapping off the fins.
It seems that the fans are about 30???? I'll see if I can get one from a dealer.
Regards to the posting of pictures ,I'll probably have better luck at brain surgery
Thanks again for comments Dai
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version