Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Lister Model A 1938 Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote simar kid Replybullet Topic: Lister Model A 1938
    Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:09pm
First of all I hope this is allowed,but if not can someone erase it. Have been over to Kendal today to collect these two items. The animal feed cotton cake crusher was made locally in Darlington co Durham around 1943 and the engine is a little older at 1924. decided to add some new equipment to the ever growing collection.[IMG]uploads/20130615_210821_008_600x800.jpg" />[IMG]uploads/20130615_210843_009_600x800.jpg" />[IMG]uploads/20130615_210903_010_600x800.jpg" />[IMG]uploads/20130615_210924_011_600x800.jpg" />
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
crawler
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote crawler Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:19pm
Nice engine simar kid, it will make a good exhibit driving the cake crusher.
I started with stationary engines and along with my father still have quite a few in our collection.
Rob
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 15 Jun 2013 at 9:27pm
Thanks for info on your family collection. a good contact to have when I come across a problem . I maybe a little cheeky here posting this but I am sure if its out of order it will be removed.
IP IP Logged
Martinh
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martinh Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 6:03pm
The cake  crusher and Engine  seem to be a good buy. Why should they not be included on the site ? We have  tractors, as well as  sort of  strictly horticultural stuff. In my humble opinion, engines such as this one, were found in horticultural environments , powering water pumps, soil sieves,  generator sets,   cider presses, etc Maybe  the cake crusher is  a bit further out, but many horticultural  establishments were also small holdings with a few animals, so why not . The important thing is , that you have them, and will keep them going, and enjoy them . Mind you this my opinion, which as an ex Lister Apprentice, might be a bit biased .

Seriously, spares are still available for A types, but I think the spark plugs are becoming harder to find . Make sure you run it  regularly, and put an egg cup full of oil in a tank of petrol every  year, this will ensure the valves stay free .
Martin. The Village Idiot
IP IP Logged
steve.woollas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve.woollas Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 8:48pm
Hello John, The Lister A is a nice engine to own and ideal to link to the cake breaker -- in Lincolnshire we call them breakers not crushers but so many of these tools have local names.
I had not come across the Ord & Maddison brand before.
The majority of the machines were built as hand operated and converted to pulleys at a later date.
Using one of these type of machines be it a cake breaker, chaff cutter or root cutter was known as "nodding at the wall" as the upper half of your body would nod up and down with the motion turning the handle giving the impression the operator was nodding at the wall. Memories of Saturday mornings prepared sheep feed---aaaaah the good old days!!.
Keep On Cultivating
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:05pm
yes I get the association that you have mentioned and am now making a start. the first problem is the wood part of the starting handle. it has seized onto the steel rod which it revolves around and has also split. trying to start it cuts your hand to shreds so untill I can find someone to make a new handle I have applied some plastic wood to fill the gap and this will be better for my sore palm.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by steve.woollas

Hello John, The Lister A is a nice engine to own and ideal to link to the cake breaker -- in Lincolnshire we call them breakers not crushers but so many of these tools have local names.
I had not come across the Ord & Maddison brand before.
The majority of the machines were built as hand operated and converted to pulleys at a later date.
Using one of these type of machines be it a cake breaker, chaff cutter or root cutter was known as "nodding at the wall" as the upper half of your body would nod up and down with the motion turning the handle giving the impression the operator was nodding at the wall. Memories of Saturday mornings prepared sheep feed---aaaaah the good old days!!.
steve was good for you to share the knowledge and some of your past dealings with the machinery in the past
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 1:14pm
Nice engine, i have one of these but still having trouble getting it to run right. I think the carby has had too much corrosion in it previous to me getting it and needs some more tinkering. I plan to run a chaff cutter with it eventually.
IP IP Logged
steve d
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve d Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 5:03pm
I have a 3.5 horse lister b tank cooled john which is almost identical give me a call if you need any advice mate
colwood register
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by howardhoe

Nice engine, i have one of these but still having trouble getting it to run right. I think the carby has had too much corrosion in it previous to me getting it and needs some more tinkering. I plan to run a chaff cutter with it eventually.
great are you posting a project then ?
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by steve d

I have a 3.5 horse lister b tank cooled john which is almost identical give me a call if you need any advice mate
thanks steve will hold you to it.
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:48am
Originally posted by simar kid

great are you posting a project then ?

I might post a project in the future but at the moment i have way too much going on. I will do a thread on the bentall chaff cutter and driving it with the lister maybe next winter.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 12:51pm

send steve d a pm he knows about these engines. Good luck
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:29pm
Taking the cap off the fuel tank revealed a smell which was not normal. could not see anything but decided to remove tank and investigate.to my surprise the colour was like tea without the milk.....not normal by any means. How was this engine running with rust mixed in with stale petrol beats me. so a full clean out has been done and also the last owner has painted it Light Brunswick Green,which is wrong. further investigation brings up Dark Brunswick Green and therefore will have to get some from the supplier.so the restoration begins with the fuel tank which has been sanded down ,but further preparation is on the cards.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 8:38pm
IP IP Logged
steve d
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve d Replybullet Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 10:33pm
Ello john mate from what I remember listers were mid brunswick green but I will prob stand corrected   im sure thats what my b type and d type were painted in plus if you check it out David edgington wrote a small book on lister A andB type engines plus he does the manual if you check stationary engine magazine which some of the larger wh smith stock by kelsey publishing im sure you can still obtain them
Steve
colwood register
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 7:28am
John,
relating to the wood on your starting handle..look what Kevin made for his fantastic Atco Standard...I wonder if he could help/advise on this for you.....
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 8:54am
Yes David Edgington is your man for Lister stuff.
David Edgington's Site
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 9:07am
Manuals are available from Kelsey Publications, but they don't list them on their website....
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 Jun 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by TITCH

John,
relating to the wood on your starting handle..look what Kevin made for his fantastic Atco Standard...I wonder if he could help/advise on this for you.....
Titch,i have already had a kind offer of help with a replacement from plonker he jumped straight in what a great guy.
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2013 at 1:25am

I am pretty sure you can get manuals for these from the internal fire site for free, just need to register with them. Mid brunswick green is the correct colour but they found as the paint aged and with all the oil and smoke the paint generally got darker so painting it even straight brunswick green wouldn't look out of place. To me from your photo doesn't look like light brunswick, it does look correct but hard to tell from photos.

IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2013 at 9:06pm
Project now in top gear as the paint has arrived. the BS Number is on the label of the tin as shown.when applied to engine you can tell if you look closely that last painter was a few shades away.Because the flywheels are a little pitted,have decided to fill and rub back,and it has done the trick as they now look new again. Will not rub off rough castings as it takes away the originality. Pleased I bought this as a runner because it makes life just a little bit easier.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 8:08pm
Many thanks to plonker for making this on his lathe.good job done and works well.he has used seasoned ash and many thanks to him.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 8:13pm
AS well as the fantastic job undertaken by plonker I have now decovered the engine serial numbers and spec no. they are

serial no   244022
spec A29
hp   3.5
rpm at tickover 650

also a couple of photos of the painting to date.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 9:06pm
Should not mention this in case health and safety get a wind of it,but what the heck I will tell you anyway as I still have a laugh at it now and again. A couple of nights ago I decided to start up the engine after cleaning out the carb and tank which had accumulated rust over the years. once started it bounced up and down on the shed floor very aggresivly,so I put my hands on the water jacket to stop it moving about to no avail. the engine by now had got me cornered and still running.small panic set in as I could not reach the shut off knob on carb,the flywheel was getting closer to my legs and was totally helpless. suddenly the engine went through the floor and stopped moving around giving me chance to shut off fuel,a close call if ever I had one.I am sure the man upstairs wants me to live a little longer. WORD OF WARNING HERE START EM UP OUTSIDE IN FUTURE.
IP IP Logged
lauber1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lauber1 Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 6:27am
sounds like we missed a good video of that action.
restoring history, one bolt at a time.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:42am
My Dad did the same with a big Villiers engine, started it up with no cowl on and it went up to speed and started floating on the concrete floor. We both held on but it was doing a good speed. We encouraged it towards the bench and Dad grabbed a screwdriver to short the plug out, Phew!
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by lauber1

sounds like we missed a good video of that action.
Very dangerous spot to be in. there is a tv program over here called when animals strike back. this event would come under the heading when machines strike back
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by will_haggle

My Dad did the same with a big Villiers engine, started it up with no cowl on and it went up to speed and started floating on the concrete floor. We both held on but it was doing a good speed. We encouraged it towards the bench and Dad grabbed a screwdriver to short the plug out, Phew! [IMG]smileys/smiley9.gif" align="middle" /> [IMG]smileys/smiley29.gif" align="middle" />
ALAN   its not only me then !!!!
IP IP Logged
lauber1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lauber1 Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 7:08am
yes, I guess we should all point out, Safety First. Its fun until someone gets hurt. Even though they look like toys, they weren't built to be played with like toys. I'm glad your ok, I would miss your lines of wit.
restoring history, one bolt at a time.
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 11:40am
Haha, i have had my moments too with engines going crazy. So was this you...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1MnXkHhlM 
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 1:17pm
Thats about it but was in the shed. Thanks for the video.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 2:34pm
Yipes! I nearly covered my eyes when that started!
IP IP Logged
Phil Somers
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Phil Somers Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by lauber1

yes, I guess we should all point out, Safety First. Its fun until someone gets hurt. Even though they look like toys, they weren't built to be played with like toys. I'm glad your ok, I would miss your lines of wit.

Sorry Jeff but please don't take offence but I had to laugh because when I read your comment I could only think of that American Norm from the "New Yankee Workshop" and when you said "Even though they look like toys, they weren't built to be played with like toys" I just thought of his opening comment on all his shows "And most importantly we have these, the safety glasses, always remember to wear your safety glasses".
Could just imagine John in the corner of the shed, did you remember your safety glasses John?

Phil
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2013 at 7:07pm
Phil. I was fully h s e kitted out and did not have my slippers on for once. The only thing that could have saved me was chubb armour but its not allowed its inapropreate clothing
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version