Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Lister Model A 1938 Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 04 Jul 2013 at 8:08pm
Back to the project. When the engine was purchased the wheel base was rather narrow and it gave me some concern over the fact that it could turn over on its side quite easily. So have widened the wheel base to 31 inches so now it looks a lot safer and stable. The new axel has been coach bolted with angle iorn to give it an aged effect and when painted should blend in. At the other end I want to do the same idea,but with the addition of a steerable turntable pivot giving me an easier way of turning the machine which has been a man killer to move. The turn table is made from two 10 mm plates of steel which are 10 inches in diameter. With a grease area between the plates will feel like its got power steering. NICE !!!
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 6:18am
Now got the rear end put together,and moving to the steering end which ,will be a learning curve for me as at first was not sure how the top turntable could be secured as we want it fixed and secure.after some head scratching came up with the idea of counter sinking the disc with two lugs welded either side to stop it moving.

this image is just to show you from a different angle that its nice and snug when tightened down.

getting all the bits and pieces together for the first fitting went well. attaching the handle was another factor which had to be fully height adjustable,because if it was in a permanent fixed place people of different heights could find it awarkward to operate. so after some brain food came up with heavy duty door hasp. lots of movement here for all ages to control with comfort.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 6:22am
as you will see I have not made the handle yet but its just minutes away now the multi height hasp is in place
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:55am
Looking the business John, are the cans of Carlsberg there as a size comparison or to keep you going on a hot day ??

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 10:54am
paul a good remedy for thirst without a doubt,but they also double up as what I call brain food for those trying times in the shed. which are many when your breaking new ground with a project.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 4:54pm
help needed with a video I took earlier today.have the info from you tube but do not have the knowledge to upload it here. http://youtu.be/oH3jEpfQqcw     THANKS
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:56am
The easiest way to link to a clip on YouTube is to use the 'Insert Hyperlink' button. The first window asks for the text that you want to be the link eg YouTube video, the next screen is where you paste the link.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 10:55am
Nice video, i think you may find the timing is a little out. Seems to be 'banging' when firing. May just be the camera but i think if the timing is out and you get it right it will be much quieter.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 8:46pm
well here goes for the link to the engine video.http://youtu.be/oH3jEpfQqcw

wow ! it works.i will be computer programing in silicon valley next.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 5:36am
Originally posted by howardhoe

Nice video, i think you may find the timing is a little out. Seems to be 'banging' when firing. May just be the camera but i think if the timing is out and you get it right it will be much quieter.
at the moment i have no manual so will search around to see what can be done
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:01am
Very easy to time. On the flywheel you will find a TDC mark and not far from it a lightning bolt (firing) mark. All you need to do is have the firing mark on the flywheel at the top and then set the magneto so the points are just cracking open. To do this you loosen the sprocket off the magneto so you can turn it to where it should be and then retighten it. Of course be sure to check it first as it might be right. Then the valves can be timed but that is more complicated and rarely out. If it does need re timing of the valves you have to take the flywheel off!
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 8:01pm
must say it normally starts with 3 turns of flywheel,and does not spit back at any point neither does it back fire. may be it was the mobile phone mike which is giving you the doubts. thanks for mentioning it though.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 6:52am
woke up this wet and stormy morning to some good news from Martin h one of our members. he has been doing some research for me on the engine and to my great surprise its a lot older. 1924 is the revised D O M . made in the" Roaring Twentys"

A little history for those who may be interested. on the day before it was made 21 4 1924 Benny Hill comedian UK was born. date of manufracture 22 4 1924 The first Macys thanksgiving parade went ahead ,also J.Edgar Hoover appointed USA. And the day after King George v of England makes his first broadcast.
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by simar kid

woke up this wet and stormy morning to some good news from Martin h one of our members. he has been doing some research for me on the engine and to my great surprise its a lot older. 1924 is the revised D O M . made in the" Roaring Twentys"

A little history for those who may be interested. on the day before it was made 21 4 1924 Benny Hill comedian UK was born. date of manufracture 22 4 1924 The first Macys thanksgiving parade went ahead ,also J.Edgar Hoover appointed USA. And the day after King George v of England makes his first broadcast.

1924 , is he 100% sure on that ??

Andy.
Early Villiers Twostroke spares Always Wanted
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 9:07pm
hi andy.i think he has good grounds to be sure as he worked on listers most of his younger days. but I am sure he will coment when available.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 9:10pm
I thought the single flywheel version was first produced in 1924, not sure when the twin flywheel version appeared...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 9:17pm

hi andy.i think he has good grounds to be sure as he worked on listers most of his younger days. but I am sure he will coment when available.

I didn't realise Lucas produced that style of magneto as early as that.

Andy.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Andy Frost

I didn't realise Lucas produced that style of magneto as early as that.

Andy.
hi. this mag is not the original but one which was fitted so that it could be used in the future as parts are in good supply. maybe this is where the problem has given you doubts
IP IP Logged
Andy Frost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Andy Frost Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 9:28pm
Ah , that explains matters.

Andy.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 7:16pm
engine part of project nearly complete just waiting for some cast iorn wheels for the redesigned trolley. so the second part of restoration is the cotton cake crusher. will have to source a large flat belt pulley,or get hold of a reduction box to get the operating speed of the crusher correct. I need a constant speed of approx. I revolution per 2 seconds of crusher. anyone with a knowledge of what I need to do the job please speak up.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 7:17pm
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 6:36pm
Gearing is on the menu now. have found out that a local engine collector has an 18 inch flat belt pulley for a small fee so this is my next port of call. an added bonus here is he also has a 3 or 4 inch flat pulley to fit engine.at the moment the engine has a 7 inch pulley fitted.
IP IP Logged
mowersman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote mowersman Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 11:00pm
Hi, Fantastic restoration, I really ought to get on with my B type, like an A, but just heavier!
The first date you posted was correct, rather than 1924, the dating table is available online, here http://www.stationary-engine.net/EngineDating/Dating.htm The A type was introduced in 1924, but it looked vastly different to these later engines, with only a single flywheel and caged valves.
If you want some further history on your engine, you could send a letter to David Edgington, who holds the original Lister records. I can pass you his address if you want it.
Andrew
The more I work with petrols, the more I like diesels...
Yeovil, Somerset
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 1:38am
Very nice job, what you need now to fill that water tank, is a genuine Lister Galvanised bucket.
plonker
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by mowersman

Hi, Fantastic restoration, I really ought to get on with my B type, like an A, but just heavier!The first date you posted was correct, rather than 1924, the dating table is available online, here http://www.stationary-engine.net/EngineDating/Dating.htm The A type was introduced in 1924, but it looked vastly different to these later engines, with only a single flywheel and caged valves.If you want some further history on your engine, you could send a letter to David Edgington, who holds the original Lister records. I can pass you his address if you want it.Andrew
many thanks all help is welcome
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by plonker

Very nice job, what you need now to fill that water tank, is a genuine Lister Galvanised bucket.
now that bucket sounds an interesting extra. have you or any other members got some photos. I am already looking for the lister oil can.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:24pm
managed to get the 18 inch pulley and also a 4 inch pulley for the engine. what a bonus and as I name dropped a few big engine men from these parts I went away less 10 quid. sweeeet ! if some of you have been following this project you will have gathered that the tick over speed has been a mystery,as I have no speed gauage. but after talking to an engineer he suggested that I place 1 finger on one of the valves whilst running on tick over and count the movements over 1 minute. to get the correct rpm just double the first count and your sorted.
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 12:32am
[IMG]uploads/20130823_003215_DSC00553bucket3.jpg[/I
MG]
plonker
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 12:34am
You mean one of these,I painted it silver years ago, I use it to wash up down the barn, it deserves to be regalvanised.
plonker
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 3:54am
Must be the last surviving bucket . It looks well cared for .thanks for the picture.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 11:49am
Gearing on the crusher project is now progressing. originaly had this combination of drive pulleys.

engine 7 inch dia circ 22.5 inch
crusher 14 inch dia circ 44.5 inch

NOW

Engine 5 inch dia circ 16 inch
crusher 18 inch dia circ 57 inch

still not 100% sure of engine speed on tick over but have been told it could be as low as 200 rpm.anyone able to work out the speed of the crusher when new pulleys are fitted ????
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:41pm
EUREKA

Have found this calculator which is animated and so simple to use. what a god send to those like myself who are not in the know.calculator
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 25 Aug 2013 at 3:52pm
So the answer to the riddle about speed at 200 rpm is   55.6 rpm of the crusher. excuse me while I jump about with excitement.
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 8:36pm
Over the past three years I have been troubled with back problems due to torn ligaments. They do repair themselves in time. As you have seen with this project I have been preparing for 2014 showing season . Not wanting to agrevate the back again,i think that permanently fixing engine and crusher on a trailer,just for next years shows is a good move health wise. Went onto that auction site on sunday and found a trailer which is 8 feet long and 4 feet wide at a fair price,in fact it was a steal, the colour was black but as I have plenty of lister green left I decided to do the trailer the same colour so that the display looks as if there has been some thought gone into presentation.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 9:07pm
Good thinking John, it was stationary engines that knackered my back, trailer mounting is the way to go with this set

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version