Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Ride-on machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsRide-on machines
Message Icon Topic: Westwood Gazelle Cruise Post Reply Post New Topic
WestwoodGazelle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote WestwoodGazelle Replybullet Topic: Westwood Gazelle Cruise
    Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 6:17pm
Hi all! Firstly I wanted to say thanks to Wristpin for the engine advice he gave! Managed to fire up the Briggs 11hp engine, only to have a extremely loud almost unearthly squealing noise! Confused However, my friend who knows a lot more about engines than I do came up yesterday and had a look, turns out it was nothing major, just the bearings for the pull-start had run out of grease, so a quick fire up and the squealing noise had gone! Clap We also added a manual choke so it's easier to start up. Now it fires straight up and runs almost as smoothly as Dad's newish Husquavana Bio-Clip. So I took it out for a spin today.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the Gazelle. There are still some things I need to do such as paint the insides of wheels, other paint touch ups and a new seat. I also have a little galvanised saxon trailer and I need to make up an attatchment on the back of the Gazelle so it can tow it. But to all intents and purposes, the Gazelle is pretty much finished.

It's come a long way since I bought it, I'll try and find some pictures, it was a rusted-out wreak that I think had been flipped at some point, and repaired with Laser (Japanese version of Westwood) parts. I've fully stripped the chassis and bodywork and killed the rust, and tried to as much as possible use origonal parts. I've not thrown anything that's salvagable out, so my shed's full of Westwood/Laser bits.
I also welded the chassis where it had rusted pretty badly, possibly overkill considering it was probably strong enough as is, but there's no kill like overkill, right? LOL

The age of the Gazelle is unknown since the chassis number sticker was really badly damaged when I got it but I've decided to restore it as one of the earlier Gazelles with the white plastic front, since they're my favourite, and the sales brochure that the Gazelle came with featured this type of Gazelle.

Thanks a lot to Mark for the decals, and Chris for the engine! Smile I have the dashboard decal ordered so I'll post some more pics when I get that.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 7:02pm
Looks great well done !!

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 9:49pm
Glad that engine is still going strongThumbs%20Up

Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 07 Jul 2013 at 11:00pm
Good news all round. However before it becomes fact "because it was on the forum" the Laser was not a Japanese version. It was just Westwood being a bit greedy in trying to expand their market place with a version that would not conflict or cause too much agro from the established dealer network. Different colour and different engines. They also did a special version with different bonnet and colour scheme plus Honda engines exclusively for Bartrams a big East Anglian dealer.At the moment my mind has gone a bit  blank regarding its brand name but Lawnmaster rings a bell!
Interestingly, Countax did the same in a deal with Hayter, painting the machines green and fitting Kohler engines instead of their usual Briggs. Then of course Countax acquired Westwood and there was a dealer selling virtually the same product on every street corner!
IP IP Logged
WestwoodGazelle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote WestwoodGazelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:30pm
Thanks all! Smile

Hmm that's some pretty fascinating info. On a closer inspection of the Lawnmaster it looks like it has pretty much the exact same base chassis as the Gazelle! I see what you mean about dealers selling different versions of the same thing.

Does anyone know when the first Gazelles came out? I'm guessing late 70's, there is a rare model out there (I've seen them on ebay a few times) with a gear lever between the seat and gearbox between the seat and dashboard (like on most Wheelhorses) as opposed to the column shift, I believe these are the oldest ones. 
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:37pm

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 08 Jul 2013 at 9:42pm
Thats the front cover from a brochure I have in the collection, Lawnmaster rang a bell !!

IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by WestwoodGazelle

Thanks all! Smile

Hmm that's some pretty fascinating info. On a closer inspection of the Lawnmaster it looks like it has pretty much the exact same base chassis as the Gazelle! I see what you mean about dealers selling different versions of the same thing.

Does anyone know when the first Gazelles came out? I'm guessing late 70's, there is a rare model out there (I've seen them on ebay a few times) with a gear lever between the seat and gearbox between the seat and dashboard (like on most Wheelhorses) as opposed to the column shift, I believe these are the oldest ones. 

I'm struggling a bit with the early Westwood history but am fairly sure that the first ones were re-badged Dynamarks from the USA , which goes with the mid mounted gear stick - may be imported or perhaps built here under licence. Think that the column shift machines were the first home designed and built tractor shaped Westwoods. I say tractor shaped as Westwood's first rider was the Lawnbug - non-floating deck, tiller steering and the engine almost in the driver's lap!!  Now much sort after and heavily modified by the lawnmower racing men. 

IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 12:20pm
from the ones I've dated via serial number and engine number I'd say they were early 80's - 1982 is the earliest I've seen. Yours is the earlier rear end so should be similar, whats the engine serial number? model will be 252707-followed by a date and type code.

I've never seen one with a gear shift other than on the steering column apart from the one I modified...

p.s. dash decal is in the post!
me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 2:00pm
Just had a word with a friend who worked for Westwood and he confirms that the early ones were Dynamarks and had what he describes as a "nice deck pressing" and not the Westwood "three penny bit" one. Guess that Dynamark's business was big enough to warrant press tools whereas Westwood made do with the fabricated deck. He remembers that at the end of the Dynamark era some Westwoods went out with the pressed deck to use up inventory. He has 1976 in mind for the first home built Gazelle.
The early Westwoods were not exactly precision engineered - I remember a pack of three Lawnbug cutter shafts with 5/16" difference between the longest and shortest! When it came to things like steering kingpin thrust washers the parts books showed one with "use as required" written beside it!
Despite all that, Westwood should be credited for producing the first tractor mounted (powered grass collector - sweeper) which was friction driven off the tractor's rear tyres. The next one was driven off the transmission input shaft so that it only worked when the drive to the trans was engaged  - it was clutched in conjunction with the cutter engagement - and finally an independent, clutched, PTO direct from the engine to the sweeper drive .
IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 4:35pm
hey, they were all british and built like a tank! gotta give them some credit... even the B+S engines and peerless trannys were bombproof. We've had 5 of them and they were all pretty flawless
me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by meadowfield

hey, they were all british and built like a tank! gotta give them some credit... even the B+S engines and peerless trannys were bombproof. We've had 5 of them and they were all pretty flawless

No slight was intended ! However I don't think that I would ever describe a Westwood of that era as flawless but as you say, they were British and did really create the UK mass market for tractor mowers which had hither to been the preserve of expensive imports. Plus, as I said, they invented the mounted powered sweeper.
As for the Peerless 5/6speed 'box they were fine so long as the operator stopped the machine for gear selection, otherwise selector keys and their corresponding pinions suffered and the result was the dreaded "lurch"!  We had one tractor where the "one day a week" gardener wrecked two transmissions before we discovered that everywhere else he worked had hydrostatic machines and he was banging the gears through on the move! Must have been deaf as well!!
IP IP Logged
WestwoodGazelle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote WestwoodGazelle Replybullet Posted: 09 Jul 2013 at 11:27pm
Can't wait to see the decal Mark! Smile Well I kept the old engine and it seems that my Gazelle is from early 1984. I know from looking through the reciepts that came with it that the original owner took a lot of care of the mower and got it serviced regually, sadly whoever owned it after must have left it outside as it was farily badly rusted with bad pitting and holes in some areas, and had a Laser bonnet and a few other bits. Here's it when I got it in 2010:

And here's a pic of a Gazelle with the centre gear box:

Also thanks for the information Wristpin. I did always think that the Dynamarks looked a lot like the Gazelle, but I didn't know there was a connection. They do look very similar though.

I've always wanted a Lawnbug too, just to try and preserve one of them in original condition since almost all of them are used for racing now.

IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:31am
thanks for that - that has a peerless 3 speed fitted, wonder how many they made like that?
IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2013 at 8:33am
Originally posted by wristpin

No slight was intended ! However I don't think that I would ever describe a Westwood of that era as flawless but as you say, they were British and did really create the UK mass market for tractor mowers which had hither to been the preserve of expensive imports. Plus, as I said, they invented the mounted powered sweeper.As for the Peerless 5/6speed 'box they were fine so long as the operator stopped the machine for gear selection, otherwise selector keys and their corresponding pinions suffered and the result was the dreaded "lurch"! We had one tractor where the "one day a week" gardener wrecked two transmissions before we discovered that everywhere else he worked had hydrostatic machines and he was banging the gears through on the move! Must have been deaf as well!!

I didn't take it that way though we did have an anti westwood movement on here about a year ago which was unnecessary. Agree with shift on the move - it works great until the selector key wears away or snaps!
IP IP Logged
WestwoodGazelle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote WestwoodGazelle Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 12:18am
Ok, I got the new dashboard decals in the post today! Thumbs%20Up Thanks again for doing these, Mark! Will be making the new tow hitch up soon for our little galvanised saxon tipper-trailer too.

IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 8:05am
looking the dogs now !

just noticed the warning lights on the dash, the last we we had didn't have those, they must have cut in around 83-84.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2013 at 11:46am

looking the dogs now !

just noticed the warning lights on the dash, the last we we had didn't have those, they must have cut in around 83-84.

Seem to remember that some had a rocker switch controlling battery charging but can't quite remember what it was all about!
IP IP Logged
Martinh
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Martinh Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 2:50pm
What a nice job you have made of this little tractor . I'm still playing with mine Someone broke the original exhaust  mounting bolts in the block on mine,  and converted it to a screw in type  exhaust , trouble was it never really screwed in. It was a one piece affair  and with the engine in place, you couldn't  tighten it up properly . I bought the proper ring nut to fit, but realised i'd have to take the engine off to fit it, the exhaust  fouled on the sidestep if you tried to tighten it or loosen it so I bodged it !! This moring Cut the exhauast and fitted it and the ring nut properly to bock Now have to weld pipe  back together , or may make a proper joint  in the pipe so I can undo it it all in future if I need to I bought mine to work on the allotment , and  have fitted  a replacement  gearbox, sorry post writers, th Peerless box is not that good, but most problems seem to be with abuse to the boxes, which they do not take kindly to. I've  got the headlights working, sorted some of the wiring fitter rear lights, I have a tatty transport box for mine, which I need to make fit, mine is also an early one , so rear attacthments were not ever fitted  I have new turf tyres on the front and Chevron treads on the back . Current gearbox is showing the lurch in thhe lower gears which is a sign of the selectors wearing,  but apart from that, it runs well and drives Ok
Martin. The Village Idiot
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2013 at 7:39pm
We used to counsel caution over fitting chevrons to anything with that transmission as the reduction in slip frequently resulted in a snapped half shaft.
You pays your  money etc!
IP IP Logged
daviddale
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote daviddale Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 11:18pm
I used to look after a Lawn Bug for a local church group, I always thought that they were made by MTD?
Perhaps not, my 62nd birthday the other week and I just keep forgetting things that I thought I'd never err, forget!
Was the steering via a steel cable wrapped around a shaft above the rear wheels?
Sorry no, that must have been their second mower I remember a "Bio Clip" American make I think, rear steer with one wheel onlySome of it's coming back!
Regards, David.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 12:53am
Originally posted by daviddale

I used to look after a Lawn Bug for a local church group, I always thought that they were made by MTD?
Perhaps not, my 62nd birthday the other week and I just keep forgetting things that I thought I'd never err, forget!
Was the steering via a steel cable wrapped around a shaft above the rear wheels?
Sorry no, that must have been their second mower I remember a "Bio Clip" American make I think, rear steer with one wheel onlySome of it's coming back!

Think that Bio Clip was/is Husqvarna's name for their mulching decks and their "bendy" ride-ons use a cable to steer with but as for a single rear wheel, that sounds like a Ransomes/Bobcat 180 or Triple 18 or even a Jacobsen, but they were cylinder/reel mowers!
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version