Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Barford Atom Post Reply Post New Topic
Simon

Online Status: Offline
Quote Simon Replybullet Topic: Barford Atom
    Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 9:21am
Hi All,
I've just bought a Barford Atom and have a few questions. I've searched and read through this forum, and now believe it to be a Mechanical Gardener. It has a Mk10 Villiers.

1. To date it, I'm looking for numbers on the flywheel, are these between the fins or on the outer edge? I see numbers between the fins but not been able to decipher them yet.

2. There's oil in the engine, should there be oil in the gear box as well? There is a filler lid.

3. Where would be a good source for manuals and any other literature?

4. There looks to be a chunk missing from the drive chain cover, and the scythe and snow plough attachments would be really useful. Is there a source or is it a case of watching auction sites?

5. Do you have any public shows in Scotland coming up?

6. Any advice or other things I should be thinking about? My intentions are to maintain and work the machine rather than a show piece.

Cheers, Simon.

IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 12:58pm
Hello Simon, welcome to the forum

As regards Atom literature our club president charlie is your man, also for advice

The club does have a rep in Scotland, Mr Little, who is on here under the name of Rollo Man.

Paul
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 4:08pm
...and Farming Yesteryear is at Scone Palace, just North of Perth is the big Scottish Rally, 8th September. There will be a good representation of VHGMC members present. I have ambitions to go myself one day. But this year I'll be down Cornwall... http://www.svtec.org/
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
steve.woollas
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve.woollas Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 7:15pm
Hello Simon,
I cannot help you greatly with your Barford other than to confirm it is the Mechanical Gardener rather than the lather Atom 15 or 30. The Villiers MK10 is correct for this model.
Good luck with it--Steve.
Keep On Cultivating
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 8:47pm
The scythe fitting for the Mechanical Gardener, is different to the Atom 15 30 it is driven fron a power take off on the side, I have a scythe fitting for this model, if you cant find one locally.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Simon

Quote Simon Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 10:38pm
Thanks all, appreciate your help.
Hope to get to the rally in September, will see how things go.
Plonker, where abouts are you? I travel about a bit. You can see the pto in the first picture, has two threaded bolts either side and a squared shaft, is it complete and would just attach directly or am I missing something imbetween?
Cheers.
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 11:39pm
No, I dont think you are missing anything, I will take a photo of the fitting so you can see how it fits the pto, I am in Buckinghamshire, near Aylesbury.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 9:45am
Yes there should be oil in the gearbox.
I have a good number of different sales leaflets for the Mechanical Gardener and a parts list which includes implements, but unfortunately I have never seen an operators manual.
I will need to check my spares/scrap pile for a chain case.
Attachments available were; disc harrow and cultivator (both fit rear tool plate) hedge trimmer and generator, barrow, ridger, hoe, 3ft grass cutter, soil turner (plough) adjustable tool frame, haysweep, lawn mower, liquid sprayer, power duster, water pump, two row seeder, saw bench, trailer and counter weights.
Look after the tyres as they are an obsolete size.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:03am
Rear mounted attachments for 15 and 30 will fit the mechanical gardener but front mounting is different.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:12am

Hey, Simon, here's Charlie's Barfords as shown at Semington, Wiltshire.
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Simon

Quote Simon Replybullet Posted: 27 Jul 2013 at 10:18pm
Thanks again.
Got it out in the sun shine today for a better photo.
Apparently the rotovators don't fit. Not sure what the hook type attachment is called.
Numbers on the fly wheel are "R55" and "A55" would 1955 be about right?
Comparing with the pictures above, looks like the fuel tank was moved at some point, and yours have proper looking ht leads, while mine has a cut out switch which basically earths the spark plug.
Engine oil or gear oil in the gear box? And idea how much?
Cheers, Simon.

IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 8:58am
If this is the one from a well known online auction site I think the seller did say he thought the rotavator tines might not fit. They look like MerryTiller tines as does the depth skid which has been stuck into a piece of tube to make it fit rear of Barford. Engine cowling should be red so may not be original which would explain why tank has been moved. Engine stop is usually on the back of the magneto back plate, although the one you have fitted is easier to reach and operate. Plough (soil turner)and expanding tool plate are correct for machine. Axle has been modified, the clip on the end is again Merry Tiller.
I would suggest EP90 gear oil to top of filler neck.I can see the missing part of the chain case, dont see how that could have got damaged. Drop me a pm with your e mail address and I will send copy of parts list so you can see what it should be like.
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 28 Jul 2013 at 11:32am
If it is an Albion gearbox, it should be SAE 40 - EP oils are not good for the bearings in these boxes (but it is better than no oil at all!). Try to avoid modern oils, as their additives can be detrimental to older types of bearings

SAE 40 is available from Morris Lubricants (usual disclaimers). Castrol also do a classic range, but I haven't tried theirs.

Jim.
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 6:26pm
The Barford gearbox is not an Albion box. It only has one gear and the gearbox simply transfers drive to the pto.
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 29 Jul 2013 at 8:42pm
Charlie, thanks for the clarification.

Jim.
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
Simon

Quote Simon Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 5:04pm
Thanks again for any and all help. Interesting to understand the tools.
The engine casing has red paint below the silver, and has the riveted plaques for Barford Atom and Villiers Mk10. So I'm assuming they are original. The exhaust and starter have also been painted.
I filled the gear box with TRX 75W90 because that's what I have for the landy. It started dribbling out the bottom shortly after. So I'll need to clean it up and strip down to find and hopefully fix the leak.
Charlie, I've PM'd my email address, that parts list you kindly offered would be really useful, I'm praying it has diagrams ;)
Not sure when I'll get time to work on it though...
Cheers, Simon.
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 01 Aug 2013 at 11:22pm
If I were you, try using the one shot grease that you use in the Landrover hubs, that will cure your oil leaks from the gearbox, although the oil seals are available from any bearing supplier, and not difficult to fit.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Adam4472

Quote Adam4472 Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 12:01pm
Hi, I also have one of these, have had it for around 15yrs, could not find a plough, but had a 3ft cutter bar, I made a plough from 1/8" steel plate with adjuster for depth and rotating plate for angle.
 I will find some photos and post them.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version