Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Garden implements
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsGarden implements
Message Icon Topic: Blizzard Sprayer - or is it? Post Reply Post New Topic
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Topic: Blizzard Sprayer - or is it?
    Posted: 31 Jul 2013 at 6:21pm
This arrived today - a speculative buy from that auction website for the minimum bid price. Blizzard Sprayer - made in USA.

Not sure who made it originally but I doubt it left the factory like this! The pump cylinder was brazed to the tank body - couldn't understand why - and there was a rusty bolt sticking out of the tank!

So I removed the brazing to separate the bolt, and the pump, from the tank body. Lo and behold the pump does not remotely fit the tank body!   There is about 1-2 cms difference in diameter between the two - and the threads are totally different!

It appears that the mismatched pair were brazed together and the hole drilled in the tank and a nut brazed to it as a filler point - with a bolt acting as the stopper. Trouble is they had rusted together producing an unusable sprayer.

I finished cleaning the parts up and noticed that the pump body had a large thread. I did a bit of rummaging around, consulted my better half, and found that it fits a standard 'Kilner' (food storage) jar [now sealed with a large rubber washer I had kicking about - I tend not to throw anything away]!

.... and it works - with a slight leak!

That leaves me with a spare copper tank! I have polished this and plugged the drilled hole with a brass nut, bolt, washer and rubber washer.

I now need to look out for something it fits!! Any ideas or offers?!
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version