Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Garden implements
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsGarden implements
Message Icon Topic: Nesthill 1930s Catalogue [Ernest H Hill] Post Reply Post New Topic
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Topic: Nesthill 1930s Catalogue [Ernest H Hill]
    Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 8:47pm
Contacted Ernest H Hill (who are still in business) yesterday as their website shows images of the covers from old catalogues. They have replied today with a copy of what appears to be a 1930s catalogue of sprayers!

I will post a link to this once I have had chance to tidy it up a bit and turn round some of the inverted pages.

It looks like a handy identification document.
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 10:18pm
Fantastic, good on them for supporting you. I don't think I've got any Nesthill sprayers....
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2013 at 11:28pm
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:21am
Thanks, Steve, I've downloaded it....
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 4:04pm
Given your huge collection, and your knowledge, what do you reckon is the most rare make of hand sprayer?
plonker
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 03 Aug 2013 at 8:09pm
Great to know a company that is still interested in their old products and willing to help. Well worth keeping in touch with them; there will be a day when the question will have to be asked what will they do with all the old stuff. Do they only have copies or do they still have originals. Something that should perhaps, when the day coomes, go to a museum, eg MERL.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 06 Aug 2013 at 12:55am
Hi Plonker

Not sure about the huge collection and knowledge - I think Sprayerman (& probably other members) has me beat on both counts by miles!

A large proportion of my sprayers have no identifying marks and many look very similar so I have no idea who the manufacturers were. I have to spend a lot more time researching them.

Of the sprayers I have that are identifiable I think the 'Everyman' with an 'AF' manufacturers mark is the one that I have not seen elsewhere. Whether its 'rare' or not I can't really say. It's probably more realistic to identify a sprayer as uncommon/unusual - even then it's probably a matter of personal experience or opinion!

Anyone else out there have views on this?
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
sprayerman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote sprayerman Replybullet Posted: 23 Aug 2013 at 1:11pm

That is a very good question as to what is the rarest make of hand sprayer. After starting my collection as I live in Birmingham I decided to concentrate on collecting sprayers made by companies based there. It has also helped me manage my collection, which has plateau'd out at about 180-ish - space is a factor here too, especially given my other interests. Stopping actively collecting also gives an opportunity for other folk to collect them. I know of a chap who at last contact, his collection numbered between 750-800!!

There are a large number of sprayers, especially those produced in the 50's & 60's, that had water transfers applied to them. Once they come off it makes identification very interesting indeed as one is hampered from the start. Detailed measuring of barrel length, overall length closed & extended, outside and inside barrel diameters, end fittings, drip shields (and lengths thereof) can sometimes assist but it is still difficult, and eventually led me to avoid purchasing sprayers that did not have a name on.

The Everyman sprayer was made by Allen & Freeman - have a look here for a bit of info on some of the Birmingham manufacturers including this company. http://www.gardensprayers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/list_of_birmingham_manufacturers.htm

As to an answer to the original question I really do not know - sorry.

Cheers

Sprayerman
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 5:40pm
Hi Sprayerman,

Thanks for the info on the 'Everyman' - that explains the 'AF' logo on the name plate!

I too have started looking more for sprayers with ID markings as I have a selection of sprayers that even if I came across catalogues or brochures would be very difficult to identify. Many of the tool/garden suppliers of the time appeared to sell sprayers (and other garden hand tools) by size and type rather than name.

Thanks again - your expert comment & opinion always welcome.
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 24 Aug 2013 at 9:42pm
That is very interesting, I bought an Eclipse no1 sprayer at the Ardingly show, good to see from the list that they are still in business.
plonker
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version