Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Howard Gem restoration Post Reply Post New Topic
superfox

Online Status: Offline
Quote superfox Replybullet Topic: Howard Gem restoration
    Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 8:28pm
Hello everyone. I am about to begin a limited restoration of my Gem. It was running until recently but the distributor cap came loose with inevitable damage. I repaired the cap with araldite and had a new inner gear made. The engine started after this repair and ran for about two minutes then stopped All further attempts to start have failed. Now, when turning it over and after priming the carb I find fuel leaking from a bad joint in the exhaust where it bolts to the silencer. Can anyone advise me as to what is going on?? Thank you.
Dave.
IP IP Logged
RotehoGem

Quote RotehoGem Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:26pm
Hi Dave,

Having read your post it would seem that the engine has flooded due to a lack of spark perhaps, as this would explain why fuel has managed to get to the exhaust. Have you taken the plugs out and tested them for a good spark? Regards, Euan
IP IP Logged
Malcg

Quote Malcg Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:27am
I have just started the process of getting a Gem up and running prior to a full rebuild. After replacing the tyres, next job was carb and sparks. I had no sparks, but after carefully cleaning the points and removing rust between coil and field windings, a good spark appeared, next job was carb - there was quite a lot of water in my carb, and without yet being able to strip carb, I poured a capfull of fuel down the inlet pipe from the air filter. Result nearly damaged my arm with a backfire!!! All I am getting is a backfire, so next steps will be to try and get the carb apart, but also adjust the points. Can anyone advise the correct points setting?
Other questions - how do I identify which series Gem, I have, and what engine - British Junior or Kohler.
I have a gear lever that gives 1,2 N and 3 and I assume the reverse is by means of a second curved lever below. My engine has a s/n of 4055 - THINK it is a British Junior, but not sure how to double check this. regds Malcg
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 3:07pm
Malcg, any chance of a photo or two, this will help identify engine and series of Gem.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 6:49pm
British Junior engines have cast iron crankcases and JAP engines have cast alluminium crankcases.The JAP engine has an alloy cover (with J.A.P cast onto it) at the front of the engine which covers the magneto drive chain.
IP IP Logged
Malcg

Quote Malcg Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 10:54am
Thanks for the info. I think it is a British Junior, photo attached. Not done this before so not sure how it works!
I have now stripped cleaned and reassembled the carb and set the points at 0.015ins which were way out. I am ready to try starting it again, but may just sort the oil bath air cleaner first. regards, M
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 15 Aug 2013 at 8:39pm
From your number you have a late series 1 gem, this shouldn't have a reverse fitted. The engine in the photo is a British junior
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Malcg

Quote Malcg Replybullet Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 6:16pm
Hi Charlie,

Regarding dating, I attach some pics of the handlebars, and gear arrangement.
I can only assume that the additional lever (not mentioned in the booklet relates to a reverse lever, but that is not mentioned anywhere.
I have now got the old gal running reasonably well, set the main jet needle back 1.5 turns, but not sure what to do with the screw with spring on the actual barrel.
IP IP Logged
Malcg

Quote Malcg Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 4:58pm
I have now after getting the engine running, found the clutch to be frozen. So have since dropped the engine off, and with the clutch lever depressed gently tapped the clutch and freed that off, put the engine back and now everything is working well. That lever referred to is in fact the reverse lever, but she is a bit of a handfull in reverse, and I can see how the depth leg got fractured. That has now been brazed. Apart from a couple of nuts and bolts on the cowling, and one engine mounting bolt which need to be replaced all is worrking quite well. It did in fact make quite a good job of chewing up the front lawn !!!
malcg.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version