Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: hayterette disc blade swap for single blade? Post Reply Post New Topic
suffolkmower

Online Status: Offline
Quote suffolkmower Replybullet Topic: hayterette disc blade swap for single blade?
    Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:13pm
Hey guys...just joined the site and have an interest in old mowers. I have an old flymo venturer 420xl which I have serviced and have been using for the last few years, but I have also got an old 1977 hayterette which I have almost finished restoring for my grandad to use!

My question is, would it be possible to replace the disc with the four small blades under the deck for a normal large single blade? I ask as I need to replace the four small blades, and so I am weighing up my options...I hope someone can help with this, as I am due a trip from suffolk down to devon in a few weeks when I am going to present it to him!

Hope someone can help! cheers guys!

IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:52pm
I would just replace the 4 swinging blades with new bolt sets.They are not expensive to replace.Its much easier to replace these 4 blades if the disc can be easily removed from the crankshaft.
IP IP Logged
suffolkmower

Quote suffolkmower Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 10:56pm
hi stuart...thanks for your reply....havent tried to remove the disk yet, Im sure it should be possible. Just out of interest though, do you know if a single large blade would be possible? cheers
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 12 Aug 2013 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by suffolkmower

hi stuart...thanks for your reply....havent tried to remove the disk yet, Im sure it should be possible. Just out of interest though, do you know if a single large blade would be possible? cheers

The answer is on the Old Lawnmower Club forum where you posted the same question!
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 5:44am
Hi. Not sure why you need to change the blade arangement but it must be more cost effective to replace 1 blade than a full replacement. Also can you be sure you can get it balenced.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
enginear
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote enginear Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 8:23am
To remove the disc you will find after removing the disc retaining bolt a slightly larger threaded hole to take a puller bolt if you are lucky the disc will come off if not it will new a fair bit of heat as of yet nearly all the one's i did year's ago needed this treatment and all had some copper grease before they went back on, i would also say stick with what you have got a single blade unless it has fibre washer's between it will not slip and you could end up bending the crank if an obstacle is hit, one of the reason's swinging blade's were fitted.
simple
IP IP Logged
Simon Smith
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Simon Smith Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 9:12am
The four blade system is simple, effective, and protects the crank. I wouldn't even think of changing it for a single blade and risk bending the crank. Most Hayter dealers (including us) will normally have the blades and bolts in stock. Blade set part no 2779 10.22 plus vat Bolt set HY590 8.22 plus vat.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by enginear

To remove the disc you will find after removing the disc retaining bolt a slightly larger threaded hole to take a puller bolt if you are lucky the disc will come off if not it will new a fair bit of heat as of yet nearly all the one's i did year's ago needed this treatment and all had some copper grease before they went back on, i would also say stick with what you have got a single blade unless it has fibre washer's between it will not slip and you could end up bending the crank if an obstacle is hit, one of the reason's swinging blade's were fitted.

The "official" Hayter bar blade kit included their "slip disc" to give some protection to the crank but best advice is to leave it as it is. Swinging blades can be changed with the disc in place but change the bolts as well as the blades because if the bolt heads get too worn/rounded off, you will end up having to weld them to the blades so as to have something to hold.
As for removing the disk you will be fortunate to find the threads for the extractor bolt still intact and as Engineer says it will probably need a lot of heat and then possibly drilling the disc either side of the boss to take bolts on a conventional puller.
 Unless the disc "fell off" we would only go through the hassle of removing it if we needed to replace a crankshaft oil seal or remove the engine for some other reason. If it was a re-engine job and the disk was stubborn  it would be "gas axed" off and the stub pushed out on the press  !
IP IP Logged
Simon Smith
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Simon Smith Replybullet Posted: 13 Aug 2013 at 11:29am
For bar blade

5637 Blade 18.74
284022W Disc 36.23
HY4014 Distance piece 6.12
09116 Bolt 0.82
09273 Washer 0.81

=62.72 plus vat = 75.26

So it would not be a cheap conversion, none of the parts are stock items either so you wouldn't save any time. And I have changed several cranks under Hayters lifetime crankshaft guarantee so the system isn't infallable.
IP IP Logged
daviddale
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote daviddale Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2013 at 6:20pm
The large disc with 4 small blades made that engine easy to start and very nice running, a true "flywheel effect".
I have a Sykes Pickavant 10 ton hydraulic puller I use with heat to get these off!
Firstly you need to drill two, half inch in my case, holes next to the boss to have any chance of pulling the flywheel off, I then put the threaded ends of my puller legs through and put a nut and washer on each.
I have taken them off to weld up due to ridiculous amounts of damage, changing for a better one etc, but they're always an absolute pig to get moving in the first place. David.
[IMG">http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx346/daviddale/P7020040_zps1cef12eb.jpg" />

PS, this is a much later machine, but gives the general idea.
Regards, David.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version