Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Howard Gem Rotor Clutch Post Reply Post New Topic
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote plonker Replybullet Topic: Howard Gem Rotor Clutch
    Posted: 28 Aug 2013 at 10:12pm
I could do with some advise here, I have carried on with the strip down, taken off the rotor and now the backplate, in looking at the rotor drive plates etc. I can,t see any clutch linings, you can see the parts after they came out of the acid bath, very scored, the questions are, what bit should have clutch linings? should I resurface the scored parts in the lathe? where can I get the clutch linings from? or is there a company someone can reccomend? I got the jackshaft bearing out with hammering an iron bar down the tube, I expect the drive sprocket will be tougher?
plonker
IP IP Logged
Myosotis
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Myosotis Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 7:27pm
The part with the spline bore when we made them the part number was G606  they then had clutch plate rings stuck on them both sides before assembly

Thanks Jack
Myosotis
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 12:41am
Thanks for the reply, I have now found a company in Bedford who will reline it for me.
plonker
IP IP Logged
hitchinsm
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hitchinsm Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 9:30am
Do you want a PDF copy of the workshop manual??

What you have got is quite normal for a Gem.
Regards Mike
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 30 Aug 2013 at 11:51am
Thank you for your kind offer, I have got a service and repair manual, but it is for the later gems with the quadrant gear selection, and I have realised there is some differences between the mk2 and 3, as far as the clutch is concerned for the rotor, I thought there would be some remnants of lining material, but none at all, so I suppose it was just run "Dry" hence the scoring, I was hoping someone would be able to tell me where to get the clutch linings from so I could do it myself, but I have found a compny in Bedford who will do it for about 20.00. the postage will cost more!
plonker
IP IP Logged
Quilla

Quote Quilla Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 1:45pm
IP IP Logged
Quilla

Quote Quilla Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
The Howard Gem is a modernized version of the Howard Junior made in Oz.The roror clutch on the gem is virtually identical to that on the Junior .The Junior uses steel friction plates about 16 Gauge. Mounted on both sides of the driving disc and held in place by the 4 spring tension bolts .This set up was used on the Junior for over 30 years . Give it a try . I bet it will be much cheaper than anythig else .
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 10:18pm
B....R! Just posted off the driving plate to have the linings bonded on! Pity, I would have liked to try that option, makes sense when you think about it, as you can see, this machine has obviously been run without any plates for some time.
plonker
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 1:35am
Well here is a photo of the rotor drive plate with the new friction linings which were done by Automotive and industrial friction services of Bedford if any one is interested, they shot blasted the plate, bonded the linings and painted the part and turned round the job in one week, I would recomend them to anyone.
Also for your amusement is a photo of an interesting "Modification I have found with this "Gem" some previous owner needed to weld up the starting handle socket, and he did it with the socket on the machine! so it is welded to the starting dog! I did wonder why I could not move the starting handle to its "Parking" position, now I know! if i cant grind this away I will have to search for a new drive dog.   so it goes on..20130918_013301_DSC00608clutch1.jpg20130918_013352_DSC00609clutch2.jpg20130918_013427_DSC00610clutch3.jpg20130918_013501_DSC00611gem_han.jpg
plonker
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version