Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Old Garden Rollers Post Reply Post New Topic
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote simar kid Replybullet Topic: Old Garden Rollers
    Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 8:40pm
Just found this roller in an overgrown garden which I had to seriously tidy up over the past fortnight at work. even using the JCB 3CX is been a long haul. Only just saw it in the dense undergrowth at the last minute before sudden destruction. Have we any collectors of old rollers because as yet I do not recall seeing any on the forum. looking for a possible manufracturer and approx age,please !
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 01 Sep 2013 at 9:19pm
Good save John, thats a nice old roller, I have a Barford and Perkins roller sitting in the garden, I will get some photos when its daylight...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 02 Sep 2013 at 7:47pm
done some research myself over this find,and approx. date give 10 years either way is 1929. it appears that how the spokes where attached in this era was done by local blacksmiths until the early fortys when casting was more popular on garden bits and pieces. LOOKING AT RESPONSE SO FAR,I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED FOR BETTER INFO.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 8:59pm
Sorry John, not a great photo but here's our old Barford and Perkins roller at rest in the garden...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:37pm
Its good to see there is another belonging to a member of the club. I knowthat there are a lot about its just getting them on show. Thanks paul for this
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 06 Sep 2013 at 6:03pm

Here's a couple of daylight photos

IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 7:53pm
the handle bars are made from wood on these and are a one piece arrangement, but I guess you already know this.have you any plans to get it up and doable paul ?
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 07 Sep 2013 at 8:44pm
It's on my TO DO list John !!

IP IP Logged
hdtrust
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote hdtrust Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 1:10am
Originally posted by simar kid

done some research myself over this find,and approx. date give 10 years either way is 1929. it appears that how the spokes where attached in this era was done by local blacksmiths until the early fortys when casting was more popular on garden bits and pieces. LOOKING AT RESPONSE SO FAR,I HAVE MY FINGERS CROSSED FOR BETTER INFO.

Your way out on dating!
The way that roller is joined with those spokes it puts it to the 1860's, also the counter balance inside is from the same period.
Garden rollers had as many different manufacturers as lawn mowers,but cover a much longer period in time. There was a consortium for garden roller manufacturers.
Our earliest garden roller,has a stone roller which could have come from a pillar from an early building from the 1500's. We are also lucky to own a Ransomes Simms and Head from the 1870's
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 7:41am
Andrew. Great information imput and a confident boost to my thread. If you have anything else which you can share would be interested. Thanks
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 9:01am
The B&B we stayed at in 2011 for the RHS Rosemoor event had a roller with Harrods plate on it, wish I had taken a photo of it.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 08 Sep 2013 at 5:23pm
we all have moments like that Charlie why not return and purchase it,you never know they could be glad of getting rid. or even test the water with a phone call.   
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 21 Sep 2013 at 10:08pm
not sure wether Charlie tried the place he mentioned with the roller, but last night I picked up my purchase and talked four builders to lift it into the car derived van. I tied on the handles which were sticking out of the rear door by 3 ft a flouresent workmans vest and roared off up the A1 at a steady 65 MPH. got lots of queer looks by passing drivers who where all speeding. One woman who was a passenger wound down her window and I think she was trying to tell me I was loosing my roller. I slowed down and looked into the back but it was okay. PHEEW !
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version