Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Oxford Allen Scythe Post Reply Post New Topic
Baza

Online Status: Offline
Quote Baza Replybullet Topic: Oxford Allen Scythe
    Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm
Hi Guys, I am hoping someone is able to direct me to anyone who can solve a problem on my Allen Scythe.
We bought this machine ( a Mk11 I believe) about 18 months ago from what appeared to be a very nice old gentleman who assured my Wife and I that this scythe although looking a little tatty worked perfectly, he was just unable to start it for us as he had run out of fuel earlier that day.  We believed him, Gulible or what, by the time we got it home the tyres were both flat, and when we tried to inflate them they only held air for a very short time. Filling the tank with 2 stroke revealed a peppered tank, and so it went on.  since purchase it has run for about 20 minutes and that's after replacing the whole of the coil, points condenser, plug, refurbed carb, new tyres and inner tubes, throttle cable, fuel tank etc.  Now I am unable to get it to run for more than a few seconds.  It's got to be something to do with the electrics, but I've wasted numerous weekends without any luck whatsoever.  I've tried all our local mower, and horticulatural dealers in the Essex area and nobody will even look at it for me. We bought this machine to clear about 1/4 acre of  land and this is now the second season It's remained over-grown. Does anyone know of anyone who could help? With all the new parts it surely can't be much now basically just setting up.  Happy to pay for this to be done as machine is totally worthless as it stands at the moment. Had various bits of info re setting up the timing but it doesn't seem to want to work for me. Thanks for reading, and sorry it's so long, Baz
IP IP Logged
howardhoe
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote howardhoe Replybullet Posted: 03 Sep 2013 at 11:31pm
What engine do you have, a mk25 or 11c. I have been where you are at (also got had, think i was little over eager and had happy goggles on) Mine is an 11c, replaced everything! If an 11c it is not reccomended but i took the governor out and did make a difference, i will put it back with a stronger spring. Timing is crucial. To time mine the easiest way i found was to take the aluminium part of the flywheel off so you can see the points. Then take the spark plug off. Loosen the flywheel so it spins on the shaft, then use a screw driver in the spark plug hole to feel where the piston is, turn the engine until the piston is 2mm just before coming up to the very top. With the piston there spin the flywheel until the points are just opening. So many people think the points closing is right but it is opening when the engine sparks. Now you have that position tighten the flywheel. Recheck the piston and points together by rocking the engine back and forth, it might take you a couple of times to get it right. Now the important part, tighten that flywheel really tight. It has to be super tight or when you use the pull start will make it slip ever so slightly and throw your timing out and you wont know thie and it will really do your head in! Also make sure your petrol tank is high enough to supply a good flow of fuel. Hope some of this helps.
IP IP Logged
Dieselhead
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Dieselhead Replybullet Posted: 04 Sep 2013 at 6:13am
It would be an 11c if its a MK 2 machine.

In my opinion they are far too old for work now a days!

I have sorted many Allens out over the years for customers, some who like yourself have brought a machine & found lots of faults!

I have sent you a PMThumbs%20Up
Chris. I aint getting on no plane. Fool!
IP IP Logged
Baza

Quote Baza Replybullet Posted: 12 Sep 2013 at 2:02pm
Hi Chris
Any further news at all please.
Thanks
Barry
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version