Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Norlett Beaver Powaspade with a difference Post Reply Post New Topic
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote pmackellow Replybullet Topic: Norlett Beaver Powaspade with a difference
    Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 10:02pm
Collected from Kent today on the way back from Peterborough in the pouring rain...

It's a Norlett Beaver Powaspade but the electric version, more unusual than the petrol powered variant, perhaps I can persuade steve d to drag his petrol powered one out of the shed again...

I will put some better photos on here tomorrow when it comes out of the trailer at Telscombe...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 13 Sep 2013 at 11:00pm
They are great little machines, both my Dad and my Uncle have the electric version, still in regular use, and owned from new (somewhere around 35 years I think).

There is a weak point - you will see on that machine (I was watching it on the auction), that the gearbox is covered in oil. You will need to drill out the rivets (and file off the weld to the shaft housing), seperate the gearbox halves and replace the oil seals, then bolt the gearbox back together. It is also worth fitting an oil filler plug.

Failure to do the above will result in a stripped wormwheel, and probably a scrap machine (we found out the hard way, but I found a doner petrol machine to replace the gearbox. The wormwheel is bronze, and quotes for a replacement run at well over 100, if you can find someone with the right cutters.

The motor is an Electrolux, and seems very reliable. An old pair of tights makes for a good replacement air filter.

Final comment, if you use one of these in a long garden, you need a VERY heavy duty extension lead, as they draw a lot of current, and cable volt drop becomes a significant factor.

Jim.
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
grendel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote grendel Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 7:49am
there was somewhere on the internet where you could buy new replacement powerspade gearboxes a couple of years back. tillerparts probably have some second hand ones - some parts here -
http://www.gwdoling.co.uk/spares/garden/Oldspares.asp?grpdesc=Norlett-Beaver
Grendel
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:04am
Thanks for the good info gents, I will bear all that in mind...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
steve d
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve d Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:17am
Well now mr mack is that a hint maybe I will see for a small event at a garden centre somewhere in Kent.
colwood register
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 8:35am
That would be the one next month then ??

IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 14 Sep 2013 at 5:57pm
Heres the electric Powaspade at Telscombe today...

IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 9:33pm
And at Kingsfold last weekend...

... shown alongside steve ds conventional petrol powered version.

IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2013 at 11:49pm
Nice to see the two type together!
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2013 at 4:40pm
Thanks Jim, we thought it would show the differences

IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version