Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Pedestrian operated machines
 VHGMC ForumsThe Machinery ForumsPedestrian operated machines
Message Icon Topic: Merry Tiller V Plex pulley Post Reply Post New Topic
Jimbike

Online Status: Offline
Quote Jimbike Replybullet Topic: Merry Tiller V Plex pulley
    Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:03am
Hi all

I'm new here but already have several lumps of old machinery. (Oxford scythe, Merry Tiller, Saxon flail mower even two Velosolex mopeds)
I'm trying to find a V Plex pulley for my Merry Tiller, it's a D Major with 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton. I'm searching eBay and will be checking a local auction but wondered if anyone had used one from other machinery such as a mini bike or other mower?
If someone could give me any more info about them I'd appreciate it.
How is it fixed?
What diameter is it?
Can I do without it and used another fixed pulley ( with mower deck)?
I'm struggling to find information as I only have a phone for Internet at present.
Thanks in advance.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:40am
Welcome to the forum. I'll do some measuring on mine. In the chainsaw instructions it says that you should use a 3" pulley to get the correct RPM. I guess you can do the same with a mower...
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
merryman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote merryman Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 12:26pm
The standard crankshaft pulley on a Merry Tiller Major is 2” outside diameter, Vee-plex pulleys are used for driving accessories, some of which have belt adjusters and some don’t. The vee-plex provides both belt tensioning and disconnects the drive on tickover so you would need a vee-plex for accessories like the sickle mower which has no adjuster, but a 3” OD pulley would be OK with the early rotary mowers which do have separate belt adjusters.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:16pm
I use my rotary mower with the vee-plex but when you throttle back it runs on! Some of the Tarpen accessories have clutches on the business end of the shaft, you'd need one if you follow the advice to use the 3" pulley...
IP IP Logged
Jimbike

Quote Jimbike Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 2:21pm
Thanks for the useful replies already. Now I've checked my PTO I can see a standard 3/4 pulley will fit. I've found a 3.5 inch clutch on eBay which could be close enough to work.
I'd like to get a sickle mower attachment and know from running the Allen how much I'd appreciate a clutch!

This is the eBay pulley. Centrifugal clutch
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 4:56pm
Hmmm, looks the business, Jim..
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 6:46pm
I have one NOS Merry Tiller V-Plex pulley left and a couple in "used" condition.I also have the MT instruction sheet for it too which i could photocopy.PM me if interested.
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:00pm
That eBay item is a proper centrifugal clutch with a pulley on the outer drum, rather than the V-plex slipping belt idea.

V-plex made a whole range of devices, some of which are clutches, and some are variable speed drives, but they all work on the same principle of the centrifugal force of spinning weights being made to vary the distance between two metal plates, in order to either release belt tension and allow it to slip (clutch), or change the diameter of a driven pulley (variable speed drive, also needs a belt tensioning jockey wheel).

Looking at clutches, they come in two basic types - symmetric, or assymetric, meaning that the two pices that make up the pulley have the same, or different profiles. They can also be made to operate at different speeds, dependant on the spring around the weights.

In order for the clutch to work, the moving plate needs to slide freely on the centre bush, the weights must spin freely, and they must also be able to slide in and out of the cone on the back of the moving plate easily. This can usually be achieved with a good clean and the aplication of a little high melting point grease (the pulley gets hot in operation, and you don't want grease spreading to the belt).

The pulleys should line up such that the moving plate of the V-plex unit aligns with the the same face of the driven pulley, when the engine is stopped - the moving plate will push the belt up the profile of the fixed plate to engage drive, and the spring of the belt will help push the moving plate back when the engine speed drops.

Now for the awkward bit!
The difference in diameter of the clutch pulley between stopped and drive is about 0.07", so belt tension is critical - if you have a continuously variable tension, such as the Merry Tiller Tarpen attachment, it shouldn't be too hard to set up so that the belt just slips at tickover, and grips when the engine reaches governed speed.
If you have a unit like my Midgi Culto, where the belt tension is in one of three fixed positions, then belt length is crucial, and when I figure out teh correct belt, I'll let you know ( it gets worse on this machine, as the primary chain tension is adjusted by moving the engine back and forth, which alters the belt path length, so a belt that works now might not match the adjuster positions after the chain is adjusted).

As you may have guessed, I have done a reasonable amount of work on this recently.....

Jim.
The Allen & Simmonds Register

http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
Jimbike

Quote Jimbike Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 8:21pm
You have been doing a lot of work on them. You have taught me a lot about variable pulleys and how to set them up.
Thanks
IP IP Logged
Jimbike

Quote Jimbike Replybullet Posted: 26 Sep 2013 at 10:33pm
Definitely interested. You have a PM.
IP IP Logged
moggyjim
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote moggyjim Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 12:11am
hi stuart i would be interested in a used vplex pully if possible as i have a mower and need the pully to drive it sorry if i appear cheeky. ta for now jim.
IP IP Logged
Stuart.
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Stuart. Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 7:32pm
I have just sent Jimbike a PM so to be fair he has first chance of either the NOS one or used one.If he decides to have the NOS one then i,ll PM you for the used one.
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 9:20pm
Will Haggles comment regarding the V plex pulley on the Merry tiller continuing to spin at tickover, reminds me that mine started to do the same, I took it off and oiled it as per the instructions, and it works fine.
plonker
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 27 Sep 2013 at 11:08pm
It's the rotary mower which spins on, after the V-plex drops out!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 9:11am
I guess the rotary mower is acting like a flywheel.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 2:00pm
There is a considerable amount of energy stored in a spinning mower blade, and if the engine speed drops quickly, then the mower will spin for a short while. If it continues to spin, the belt is dragging on the V-plex pulley, and adustment or lubrication is needed.
More to the point, does the blade spin as you pull the engine over to start it? This would definatly indicate a tight belt.

For users of Auto Culto, Autogardener, Horticulto, Midgiculto and other Allen & Simmonds products.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 6:10pm
No, it just spins on when you drop the revs.
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 8:30pm
Alan, sounds like it is working properly.
The MidgiCulto mower is a 14" by about 3/32" disc, with three finger mower blades bolted to it, along with a bevel gear drive (not much friction - bouble ball race for teh mower shaft, and single ball race / bronze bush for the drive, so it spins easily). This means there are about 3lb of steel doing somewhere close to 2500 rpm. It takes something quite significant to stop it!
I think some of the Merry Tiller mowers are similar, only without the drag of the bevel gears....

IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 10:38pm
Underside of the MT mower....
IP IP Logged
jim beacon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote jim beacon Replybullet Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 11:27pm
There looks to be even more steel in that than the MidgiCulto!

IP IP Logged
Jimbike

Quote Jimbike Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 2:41pm
That is a lump of spinning metal! I've bought a V Plex pulley from Stuart and looking forward to delivery of the mower to get it all spinning and see what it'll do.
Thanks all.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 29 Sep 2013 at 6:37pm
Picture of me mowing with it!

IP IP Logged
Jimbike

Quote Jimbike Replybullet Posted: 11 Oct 2013 at 7:28pm
http://m.flickr.com/photos/10856062@N07/10212002126/lightbox/%20
It's all working thanks to forum members. I'm not sure if the photo is visible but BT aren't as useful and I'm still waiting for a phone line after three months. At least I have some rotorvating to do.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version