Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Projects
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaProjects
Message Icon Topic: Ransomes MK4 Marquis 18in restoration. Post Reply Post New Topic
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote Nick Replybullet Topic: Ransomes MK4 Marquis 18in restoration.
    Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:36am
Good Morning from a sunny Cape Town, my names Nick and i am an Expat now living in SA, have just found myself Ransomes MK4 Marquis 18in wich i plan on bringing back to life, she is a working model but want to bring her back to as close to new as i can...No questions yet just thought i would say Hi, will post pics later and some general questions.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:50am
Welcome, Nick, Simarkid restored one a while ago, here's a link....

Simar Kid's Marquis
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:37am
Wow...do not think i will reach that standard, this is my first project but so glad i found you guys at least when i get stuck i can shout for help..Smile
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:39am
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:44am
That post is as good as a workshop manual! No it's better!
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 9:51am
It most certainly does, mine appears to be a slightly different Model, So my first question is how old is she? Will try and load photo's, but i do have the Reg number which is MK 4, DC 3138 18 INCH Marquis
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:08am
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 10:16am
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 11:50am
Welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy your project. The Marquis is a simple and well engineered product and an ideal first restoration project. The only part with the potential for giving you grief is the rear roller - if it has not been regularly lubricated with oil (not grease which dries out) the two sections can seize on the shaft making the "differential" inoperative. Hopefully yours are free.
I've worked on a lot of Marquises but make no claims to being an authority on model history but one thing that immediately struck me was how far your engine is mounted to the right hand side of the chassis. If you look at Simar kid's posts you will see that compared with the webs of the cutting cylinder his engine is nearer the centre of the machine. Your machine's id plate clearly shows it to be  eighteen inch  and Simar's initial post says eighteen inch but could it be a 20" I wonder?  Debate open!
IP IP Logged
Hillsider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Hillsider Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by wristpin

Welcome to the forum. Hope that you enjoy your project. The Marquis is a simple and well engineered product and an ideal first restoration project. The only part with the potential for giving you grief is the rear roller - if it has not been regularly lubricated with oil (not grease which dries out) the two sections can seize on the shaft making the "differential" inoperative. Hopefully yours are free.I've worked on a lot of Marquises but make no claims to being an authority on model history but one thing that immediately struck me was how far your engine is mounted to the right hand side of the chassis. If you look at Simar kid's posts you will see that compared with the webs of the cutting cylinder his engine is nearer the centre of the machine. Your machine's id plate clearly shows it to be  eighteen inch  and Simar's initial post says eighteen inch but could it be a 20" I wonder?  Debate open!

Hi, looking at the pics of both mowers the distance between the centrifugal clutch and the left side of the mowers appears to be different, or am I seeing things.
Ray.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 5:53pm
Your engine looks bigger, Nick, is it a a D700?
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2013 at 8:33pm
I will measure the cutting reel when I next go to the cavern but I could be wrong , you have me thinking now, and that's Dangerous !
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 5:42am
Morning Guys thanks for the welcome, The rollers are free moving still i have stripped it down but had toruble removing the the cog on the blade, sent it to my father in law hes going to remove for me, then he is stripping the engine giving a good flush and clean...sent the collector to be sand blasted and cleaned ready for me to paint..........which leads to my second question (my first was how old is she) what paint and how do i get a colour match???
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 6:25am
Hi, i will check when i get it back from cleaning...
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 6:26am
Originally posted by will_haggle

Your engine looks bigger, Nick, is it a a D700?
Hi will check when i get it back from cleaning.
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Nick

Morning Guys thanks for the welcome, The rollers are free moving still i have stripped it down but had toruble removing the the cog on the blade, sent it to my father in law hes going to remove for me, then he is stripping the engine giving a good flush and clean...sent the collector to be sand blasted and cleaned ready for me to paint..........which leads to my second question (my first was how old is she) what paint and how do i get a colour match???

Cutting cylinder sprocket  - If you haven't already worked it out, it's a left hand thread ie turn it clockwise to undo it.
Colour - some one will be able to give you a RAL number for the paint colour and you can get some mixed locally or before you strip the existing paint get a colour match on an unfaded bit such as under a handle bar grip, under the engine or inside the chain case.  
IP IP Logged
Nick
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Nick Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 11:37am
Originally posted by wristpin

Originally posted by Nick

Cutting cylinder sprocket  - If you haven't already worked it out, it's a left hand thread ie turn it clockwise to undo it.
Colour - some one will be able to give you a RAL number for the paint colour and you can get some mixed locally or before you strip the existing paint get a colour match on an unfaded bit such as under a handle bar grip, under the engine or inside the chain case.  
Thanks good call on the colour matching,and yes figured out the left handed thread but she would not budge but FIL has the right tools Smile....How do i find out the age of the Mower
IP IP Logged
wristpin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote wristpin Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2013 at 6:19pm
Dating - you could try emailing all the data on the id plate to Ransomes.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version