Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Rallies and the cost of them Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 2
moggyjim
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote moggyjim Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:42pm
thank,s for the compliment willhaggle hope to see you and some more members next year last weekend in june
IP IP Logged
plonker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote plonker Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 1:07am
A very interesting topic, as someone who has never exhibited at a show, I will throw in my two penneth for what it is worth, as a customer or "Punter" I am a great fan of Game fairs and country shows, and over the last forty years they have become too expensive and too big, when they were in a Farmers fields they were affordable, and enjoyable, but today they have grown out of proportion, they are often little more than shopping malls, how many retailers of Chinese tools do you need at a show? and the catering is a disgrace, junk food at high prices.
Any organiser of a show that can not break even, needs to go back to basics, the answer is not to rip off the public to balance their books, if they cant afford the showground, dont go there, as far as exhibitors are concerned, I think that any show organiser should thank their lucky stars that people are prepared to travel at their own expense to these events, camping sites should be free for them at least. I have attended some small shows , not much in the way of Horticultural stuff, but the vintage tractor boys are always there, along with steam and classic cars,
plonker
IP IP Logged
steve d
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve d Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:05am
Even for the organisers of the smaller shows costs are ever rising when you take just getting rid of the rubbish is nt cheap as you now have to takethe likes of landfill tax Iin to consideration thanks to our marvellous mps . Ive been involved in organising many shows since the nineties which started out cheap and gate prices have gone up and up   .we are all griping but how much does it cost to go to a football match now even clubs like brighton are now just short of thirty pounds for ninety mins .they say goodwood now will cost you forty pounds plus .and another thing to consider is the changing face of what the public want .to get an average family out now with kids alot are looking for the likes of peppa pig to be there or characters from other shows . As with all shows many exhibitors and public turn up without thinking what actually goes in to trying to please and ive been on both sides .at the end of the day does anyone say dorset steam fair is nt a rip off ive never been there because all the stories say its difficult to be accepted stories of charges for camping not the best security with things being stolen plus mostly done for profit largest steam fair or not    but do people complain about that show
colwood register
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
GDSF costs visitors 18 for a day (although there is a discount for advance booking and some local newspapers have 2 for 1 offers). It might sound a lot but whenever I go I spend 10-12 hours there so a good long day. Not sure if all the 'entertainment' such as tribute bands is really relevant or necessary but probably a good source of revenue by attracting non vintage enthusiasts for just the evening.
Couldn't agree more with comments about country shows and game fairs becoming little more than shopping malls eg the Bath & West Show and look what happened to The Royal Show, it has gone.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
steve d
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote steve d Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:04am
I think your right charlie what has happened to the true country shows . Theyve lost there roots   why not just call them open air markets.trouble is all organisers have done it to pull people in the gates its the generation we live in now .but on the other foot for thoughs who just go to a show what would you do to keep them going and be fresh for the public and exhibitors a like .I find it hard enough for the section at ardingly to change things a little every year so as all our many supporters still enjoy coming . Plus what plonker states about horti exhibits at shows is true and most shows still d ont know where to put you thats why I m lucky that with all the hard work we have put in at ardingly we now are major contenders with cars tractors etc plus getting our own arena event but thats been through many hours of unpaid hard work .much the same as the committee of our own club say and nothing happens without the volunteers who have the passion and commitment. Maybe more shows need people with the drive to get more horticultural sections around the country to say we're not part of the tractors or stationary engines.
colwood register
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Charlie

Couldn't agree more with comments about country shows and game fairs becoming little more than shopping malls eg the Bath & West Show and look what happened to The Royal Show, it has gone.

I call it paying to shop!
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:06pm
The local big show to me is now known as The Royal Couny of Berkshire Show. It used to be known locally as the Newbury Show. Its held just off Junction 13 M4, September time. Ive never seen any representation of our hobby, yet the show is all about Agri/Horticulture. It like many used to be great for all, but sadly now is almost exclusively "rich farming type" with many stands devoted to upper market cars, and machinery. The trade stands are made up of "designer brand" retailers with so called "show specials" There is now only a small display area for "rural crafts" which used to be one of the main attractions. It would be great to see some of our exhibits on display here. I dont seem to be able to find much at all in Berkshire........
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:48pm
I think steve d has a fair point with regards to horticultural sections being a stand alone section,not just the poor relations of the tractor section. Its only with graft and enthusiasm that sections like the one at Ardingly will thrive.

Times are changing and I for one think that the adage of "no exhibits no show" could now be better expressed as "no effort no show"...

So if you want a good show and a friendly welcome Darmic, come to Ardingly next July...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:27pm
If you want to see our hobby represented at any show I would suggest you as the exhibitor make contact with the organisers. I know we were always invited and very much welcomed at The Amateur Gardening Show, before it changed name and eventually ceased.
I think one problem show organisers fail to realise there are TOO many shows. The paying public only have so much spare cash and time so cannot go to all of the shows. This may sound harsh but I think it will be good for everyone if some of the shows do cease, the butter is getting spread so thin now you can see the gaps.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by pmackellow

So if you want a good show and a friendly welcome Darmic, come to Ardingly next July... [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Thanks, I have already provisionally said "yes" to Ardingley 2014. But as I said, there are very few 'local' events, yet this an Agri/Horti area. Who is the rep for the Berkshire area???
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Charlie

If you want to see our hobby represented at any show I would suggest you as the exhibitor make contact with the organisers. I know we were always invited and very much welcomed at The Amateur Gardening Show, before it changed name and eventually ceased.
I think one problem show organisers fail to realise there are TOO many shows. The paying public only have so much spare cash and time so cannot go to all of the shows. This may sound harsh but I think it will be good for everyone if some of the shows do cease, the butter is getting spread so thin now you can see the gaps.

I think the way things are going Charlie some of the shows will cease to exist before long...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 2:30pm
i agee whith the comments it happend down here, we had a show called step back in time it was great until new people took it over and it got realy big even helicopter rides they sucked all the money out instead of reinvesting then it went bust, but three years ago it was relaunched as rurul pastimes back to what it had started out as and its going from succes to better every year, i can take any of my machines there ride around all day on them if i want /use the working area if i want/line them up on display if i want/ go round the ring if i want/ no jobsworths just friendly helpful stewards. just one problem only a few of us turn up with horticulture stuffConfused
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
ppplant
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote ppplant Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 2:17pm
Fascinating thread!!  Titch wants more stalls, Plonker wants fewer stalls, Charlie wants fewer shows. All are perfectly valid points of view and I can agree with all of them. I am glad I am not a show organiser!!

To pick up on another point made by Charlie, I make a case each year to have 1 hall almost entirely of horticultural machines, in an effort to increase awareness of them. I am not a member of the VHGMC, and we get only 1 member offering to help at Newark. I would LOVE someone to come along and try to raise the profile of these machines. Phil
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 4:46pm
Well we are bringing along one or two bits this year Phil, can't guarantee they will fill a hall though...

IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm
So if I wanted to exhibit at a show, I would need to approach the organisers myself? As an individual, that probably wouldn't carry much weight!
If, on the other hand a small group got together and put a 'Club' representation together..... that would have a much better chance of success. Who is the Club rep covering the Berkshire area? Or is that position vacant. Need some advice on dealing with show organisers.
Anyone from Berkshire, Wiltshire, South Oxfordshire or anywhere else for that matter be interested in perhaps meeting up and putting a plan together for an event in the Central south region???
A new thread will be started on new site for above if any interest shown.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 5:07pm
Thats a good idea Darren and something us Sussex boys have done, ie approach venues etc as a group representing the club, thats how we got the Meet and Greet events going a few years ago.

I don't think there is a Berkshire rep (but I could be wrong), how about putting a post on the new forum suggesting a meet up of like minded souls ?? The response you get will make up your mind !!

IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version