Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Questions or Problems with new website Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Quote Charlie Replybullet Topic: Questions or Problems with new website
    Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:09am
Please use this topic to post questions etc relating to the new site.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:32am
I've not had an email, Charlie
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
stimpy
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote stimpy Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:17am

So is the new forum strictly "members only" ?

I think I asked this before but didn't get an answer....  probably because I'm a non-member Ermm
Ransomes MG6 1954
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 10:49am
The new forum is open to all.
You can register for a 'free' trial which will allow you to post topics and replies for 30 days. After that you will need to become a club member to continue access. Club membership will also give access to 'members only' pages such as back issues of club magazine.
All this for 1/month, absolute bargain.
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:48pm
I'm confused folks!

Have we got a new website OR forum? or is it both?

Do we lose the content of this forum in time then and do I have to 'sign in' to the new forum??
I've just been on the site and it doesn't recognise my details if I try to sign into the forum???
And have we to pay 1.00 a month, or is that relevant to members subscription fees?
Thank You,

Titch
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 12:55pm
It is a new website and forum. You need to register on the new site as old id and password will not be transferred. It is FREE to paid up club members, another benefit of club membership.
The old forum will close but will not be lost it will be archived onto the new site. Far too much good info to loose.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 1:08pm
How do I get to the new forum and register from here ??
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 2:00pm
OK Thanks Charlie,

So, if I go to the new website & register onto the forum from there. Do I use my existing sign in & password or do I make a new id & password.

I'm very concerned about the information on the 'old' i.e. THIS forum.. as there's loads & loads of posts that receive posts that keep it going, such as peoples restorations/repairs etc, sometimes left for a month or so whilst work or life gets in the way, then they come back to add to it.. there's quite a few that I follow.. will we lose the whole topic I wonder???

Genuinely trying to understand this folks, but mainly the signing in process...
Titch
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 4:27pm
Is there a different address for the new website ??

If so what is it please ??

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 5:54pm
well ive just been on the new website and there is nothing on there! is this what we have been waiting for over a year?Confused none of my projects or any one else"s is on there in fact there arn"t any posts on thereConfused please enlighten me charlieCry
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
woody2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote woody2 Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Don't see anything wrong with the existing site, so why change it?
Edward
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:10pm
Ive just tried uploading to the projects section and it refused to let me, even when I deleated the photos to get the file size down.
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 9:23pm
Please dont shoot me down, but I have to admit..... for all the hype, the new site looks good on the front page. But!!! The new forum is a bit of a let down...... It seems less intuitive and the pictures appearing as a postcard is well...... hmmm! Marmite springs to mind. I know its all new, I sincerely hope that as it gets used, it will develop the feel of the old forum........ but.......... im just not sure?
Also just looking round the new site, There doesnt appear to be a calender for events? An oversight? Or a work in progress? As someone looking to start showing my machines next year, it would be useful to know where and when these events are held.
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 11:12pm
Hi Charlie

Sorry but have posted my comment in the wrong thread so have copied it below. In the meantime I have submitted some posts on the new website and have come across a couple more issues/queries:

~ no option to preview posts before submitting? This is a shame as I found this very useful as a final check of my rubbish typing!!

~ even worse, I can't see that it's possible to edit errors in a post once submitted, or to delete it. If this is the case you may occasionally see some dyslectic gibberish from me then!

Regards
Steve

Originally posted by Steve in Bed

Hi Charlie

Good to see the new website up and running although a shame that some users are having problems getting into it.   I have just few comments so far:

~ the Gallery appears to be missing unless it's just me being blind? It was on the trial website. I was looking forward to using this.
~ our personal sign-off at the bottom of Posts does not appear to be available, or is it just tucked away somewhere?
~ I agree with the wider comment from many members that it may help transition if some of the more recent active posts are transferred to the new website?

I don't envy you the task you have ahead sorting everyone out on the site and this after all you've done already. Good luck!

Regards
Steve
IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:51am
Originally posted by pmackellow

Is there a different address for the new website ??

If so what is it please ??

http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/
IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:17am
Been on the new site, I can see it's going to be good when I've got use to it, just one thing, how do I edit my reply.
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:21am
Well,
Brave move I think, a very, very brave move.
My concern is the keeping of existing posts/projects going, plus getting to the original post from the start of a restoration.
Look at Darmic1's Howard for example and the 6X6 Wheelhorse the Allen of Kevin's etc etc etc etc. What happens in this situation? It appears that this is all going to be brand new, and I mean, brand new.. no,it will have lost the 'feel' for an original excellent story book on pc. and with respect to all that have committed to doing the new forum, don't forget that humans are creatures of habit and that the format of the 'new' forum isn't a forum layout that is internationally recognised like this one.

A VERY BRAVE change, but I believe still need fine tuning, if it's now classed as 'ready' then again, with the greatest of respect I think the format/layout of the forum most definitely needs changing to the layout as this one, the website is just fine, but in reality I never ever look at the website as the forum is the activity. I hope this is treated as constructive criticism not a moan!

Titch
IP IP Logged
pete0250
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pete0250 Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:13am
its new, its going to be different, give it a go before condemming it.
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional.
IP IP Logged
meadowfield
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote meadowfield Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:17am
hmmm,

I'm here because I clicked on the link and got the fantastic new website... Clicked on all the tabs and had a good read, really good job to those involved. Forum...that's going to take some getting used to, I can see a few are not going to be happy. Change is generally good and I'm sure the benefits of a fresh forum and database outweigh the negatives, but I'm going to find it hard to adapt! As the others say we can't afford to lose the old stuff, it's just so useful.
me fatha allus toldus thez three kinds of engineer - them what can add up, an them what can't
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:15am
Originally posted by TITCH

Well,
Brave move I think, a very, very brave move.
My concern is the keeping of existing posts/projects going, plus getting to the original post from the start of a restoration.
Look at Darmic1's Howard for example and the 6X6 Wheelhorse the Allen of Kevin's etc etc etc etc. What happens in this situation? It appears that this is all going to be brand new, and I mean, brand new.. no,it will have lost the 'feel' for an original excellent story book on pc. and with respect to all that have committed to doing the new forum, don't forget that humans are creatures of habit and that the format of the 'new' forum isn't a forum layout that is internationally recognised like this one.

A VERY BRAVE change, but I believe still need fine tuning, if it's now classed as 'ready' then again, with the greatest of respect I think the format/layout of the forum most definitely needs changing to the layout as this one, the website is just fine, but in reality I never ever look at the website as the forum is the activity. I hope this is treated as constructive criticism not a moan!

Titch

^^What he said^^
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:42am
Hmmmm,
on the 'new' forum, it appears I HAVE to log in to be able to read a post..is this the case?
Not Good, I more often than not, in fact virtually always view & read through countless interesting topic subjects without Logging On, generally due to the risk of any nasties in there, and there are lots on all sites of course. I will only sign in when I wish to post on the forum..
This will catastrophically decimate the forum from letting 'viewers',.... view. These people are the potential new members, let alone existing that don't NEED to sign or log in???? I may be wrong, but I cannot just read postings without logging in.

Whilst I hate criticising, and believe me I do, I just cannot get to grips with the fact we are losing, or at least confusing the issue regarding viewing old posts. They are the backbone for reference and information.. I think something needs to be done, creating a link will not be the answer.. I do think though, 'If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It' For viewers.. nothing was broken, viewers turn into members..
Let's hope I can be proven wrong, I've spent many many hours looking at this present forum.. I would like to continue..with contribution too.

Titch
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:11am
Darmic, if you click on the postcard the image will open in larger format.
A full list of events is published in The Cultivator, if people can be bothered to tell me about them in advance.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:13am
woody, whilst the old site works, most of the time, there are issues with loading photos, and error messages such as you have insufficient rights etc, the software is outdated and a new site and forum was the only option.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:15am
nigel, as has been stated previously the old forum cannot be moved to the new site as it is. However, it will be moved and saved as an archive. Whilst this may cut some topics off in ,mid flow it will draw a line under the old topics that keep getting restarted when a new topic would be better.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:26am
Steve in Bed, there is an edit option. If you look at the relevant post there is an edit option on the same line as the date. You can also move a topic or trash it to delete it.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:29am
owen, edit option is to right of date line on your post.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
pete0250, thanks, just wish the others were so understanding.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:33am
titch, I have raised the issue of guests not been able to view post with the development team. It is certainly our intention that they can read posts.
The old forum may not be broke but some parts do fall off and a new site was the only option.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:35am
Well that is most of my morning gone, reading and trying to sort out the various niggles, some caused by members not reading what has been published before. Looking forward to going to work this afternoon, no internet so I wont be back on the forum till the morning.
IP IP Logged
series1gem
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote series1gem Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:42am
Still can't get posts to upload????????
If it isnt orange it isnt a rotavator
IP IP Logged
spawnofoldgit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote spawnofoldgit Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 11:47am
Hi, I have just subscribed to the 30 day trial thingy. Just so you know my address is different to the one on my membership as this was my fathers address - will it be picked up that I am a member of will my ability to log on terminate after 30 days? I don't always get my copy of the cultivator straight away as it goes to my brother who now lives at my dads house - so apologies if the answer was in there!
I think it would be nice to have signatures as we do on this forum as it helps identify the people we are communicating with and also adds a sense of humour. Can that be added? Also why can't we see location information? It is nice to see when we are talking to members in Australia and the US.
The preview reply is also a sad loss as it allowed us to see if pictures had loaded the right way up and the text was in the right place. Can someone add this function? I don't think it over complicates things to have these additional features but makes the whole thing look more professional and doesn't cut corners.
I am not moaning by the way just commenting my thoughts. The main page is a vast improvement and much glossier than the old.
Of all people, you know who I amwho the world needs me to be. Im Wonder Woman
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:02pm
Really sorry charlie that your getting so much hassle with this , and i'm afraid this post isn't going to help any, i did manage to get on the new forum (thanks to whoever for the email)by using the username (slightly different Hence my problems logging in) BUT you can't seem to view the original posts you can only add a comment or reply to a post you can't see? i did try to add my own post and while you can see the post header i can't read what i posted i can only add a comment or reply to it, maybe i'm doing something wrong here but i'm part of lots of different forums and while they are all different in one way or another you can usually work them out quite easily, i think this one needs intructions on how to use it or a bit of a rethink to iron out the bugs and make it a bit easier to use or peaple are just not going to bother, and that would be a huge shame,
i think this needs a bit more beta testing before we even think about losing this forum
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:52pm
Now,...

I am going to have to back out of this subject matter after this, possibly,..

Lenny is absolutely correct on everything she has correctly stated, more points that I'd not as yet seen.

Keeping the content of this forum as it is now is the backbone of VHGMC reading, I'm afraid that 'Shot In The Foot' is an understatement, BLOWN YA HEADS OFF is far more appropriate.
Sadly, I suspect that this post now of mine will be removed ( because it can be ) but surely to god the contributors to it should be the voice.
The new forum is not favoured, statistically seen in these last posts.. I'm afraid it could be a very very dark, damp lonely corner in there....

Titch
IP IP Logged
Franktonpaget
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Franktonpaget Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:27pm
I have to agree with Pete0250
I had some initial difficulties with the new website by treating it like the old one,but just be patient go back read the instructions and it all seemed to drop into place.

I find that in all aspects of life you become disadvantaged by not embracing new technology for example BT want to charge you for sending a paper bill.

So can we keep it in proportion, no doubt there will be problems and by reasoned discussion they can be overcome.

The one thing I find about VHGMC members is that they are a pretty reasonable level headed gang of people.

regards FP 

IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 4:50pm
Like all new things there are a few teething troubles, but they will probably be ironed out in the end. As someone who is not particularly computer literate I can see that the new site was a lot of work to set up and as the old saying goes " You can't please all of the people all of the time" !!

Perhaps with the project posts a new one could be started titled "Project xxx part two" and reference viewers and readers to the archived Part One ??
Just a thought...

If the queries raised here are noted and actioned (if it's possible to accomodate them, it may not be), then we will end up with a site for the future and iwugwquvuvvjd or whatever name these spammers try to use will have to go somewhere else...

No doubt when this "old" site first went live there were problems, its not going to be right first time...

Keep the faith folks, it will be resolved...

IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version