Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Questions or Problems with new website Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 5:49pm
are i think my problem is ive been logging in to the new website from when i was helping to set it upCry so i have now tried to log in again and my password does not work could you please email it to me charlieBig%20smile in fact ive just looked again and ime not even on the members list even though i regiserd ages ago. HELP!
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by Charlie

Darmic, if you click on the postcard the image will open in larger format.
A full list of events is published in The Cultivator, if people can be bothered to tell me about them in advance.

Whilst I admit to not being a fan of change, I do understand that change is a requirement for progress....... unfortunately Charlie, the new forum in its current layout is not progress....... Yes, I can click on the picture, and yes it does make it bigger. BUT.... What about the text to accompany the picture??? Oh yes, its obscured by the bigger picture...... With reference to Events, not all are entered in the Cultivator, Agreed the majority of the large ones are. But unfortunately most of these are too far away for me. I have been to a few as a spectator this year and every single one was advertised on the forum. Please dont discount the forum as a means to promote our hobby......
I also belong to a few other forums, the majority of which use an almost identical format to the old site, without any of issues it currently experiences. I know that one site in particular is now 12 years old, about 10 times bigger in its entirity, with over 10,000 members and worldwide, accepting upwards of 100 posts per day......
Please do not think that I am not appreciative of the efforts put in by the admin and members who maintain the site, I am and I do.
I just feel that a bit more thought, or even effort should have been made to make the new forum as similar as possible to the old layout.....
This is not aimed at any one person, nor is it directed at the admin team. I do however feel quite passionate about this hobby. I enjoy it along with many others. To have our work admired and viewed adds to that enjoyment. It seems a shame for all that work to be packed up and archived away.
As this is a forum, an open forum where as long as the post complies with the rules, we have the freedom to express our thoughts. I do however fear this post may be removed, because it can.
IP IP Logged
trusty220
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote trusty220 Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 6:56pm
Thank you for your thoughts. The important thing to appreciate is that the old forum is barely hanging together and needs patching up on a regular basis- one of these days it would have crashed completely and irretrievably, so something had to be done to replace it with a more modern alternative.
I accept that human nature is resistant to change and, as such, any change is looked at in a negative way.
Please be patient with the new site because once everyone has crossed over to it we can start building it up with more features that you want, just like we did with this one. We don't want to run before we can walk.
To infinity and beyond, but always back by 5 o'clock.
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:43pm
Is there a private messenger facility on the new forum??

I can't seem to see one...

Thanks
Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 7:59pm
with great respect to the admin staff here and taking on board all that's been said about being patient etc etc can we please have some sort of instructions on how to use the new forum please as i have spent most of the day trying to get my head around the new forum, i can log into the site ,or at least i appear to be able to , as a matter or fact i have just been on there TRYING to look at a post from Chap about the trusty ploughing match, but when i click on the header all i get is a message box to post a reply no trace of chap's original post, i take on board every thing that's been said about the new forum bedding in and the state of the old forum BUT when all said and done the old forum works and the new one doesn't,certainly not in my case any way and i'd like someone to tell my why it's not working and not keep telling me how bad the old one is and how wonderful the new might be because if it isn't sorted out a lot of the regular posters who's exploit's that we all enjoy reading about won't bother posting, i think the reason why members are so passionate about this certainly in my case is because we all care about the club and want to see it going forward not backwards.
IP IP Logged
buyorsell
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote buyorsell Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:00pm
Just like to say I think new site looks great.Cant help but wonder why is it when our machinery plays up or breaks we spend hours fixing it but when we cant get onto new website all the toys go flying out of the pram,no offence,just saying
i like armadillos
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 8:02pm

Steve in Bed, there is an edit option. If you look at the relevant post there is an edit option on the same line as the date. You can also move a topic or trash it to delete it.

Charlie

Sorry I still can't see either edit facility or delete/trash.  Bloew is the screen as  see it when I view one of my posts.  There is an 'Edit this page' option at trhe bottom of the screen (shown on the secodn image) but if I select this it tells me 'You are not allowed to edit this item.'.  Am I doing somehtign wrong?

...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
vegikev
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote vegikev Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 9:52pm
it seems that it is hit and miss with issues on the new site as i dont have any of the problems in the previous postsSmile 
all things pop-bang.....
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:15pm
Right progress.. of a sort i can now log into the new forum and view the post's correctly..but only if i set up a trial membership, which begs the question why can't i view them using the username and password that has been emailed to me as an existing member? answers on a postcard please !
IP IP Logged
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
I don't understand this having a username & password..
Is an existing member a paid up member and am I to expect to receive a new username & password, for whatever reason??
If I recall, I just signed into this 'new' forum with a new username & password.. or am I on trial??
I'm very unsure of the system, very unsure.....
Titch
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:52pm
Now that I've had my username and password, I've logged in and I've changed my password, put up the avatar I want, added will haggle to my user name and posted a few pictures, so it's working OK for me. Keep at it and you'll get on with it!
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:59pm
No titch i had the username and password emailed to me and used that to try and get into the new forum where apon all the problems i have been listing in my posts came about, the only way i could get anything like normal use was to create a temp user account.. so there are still bugs in the system that seem to prevent a smooth change over for this forum to the new one, its a good job i have time on my hands cos those that don't just wouldn't bother i think,lets hope the bugs get sorted quickly,
Roy H
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:16am
titch, you will see many words of thanks and praise for the new site, a few are having, in many cases self inflicted problems.
As said before and I will say it again as some are not listening. THE OLD FORUM WILL BE SAVED AS AN ARCHIVE IT WILL NOT BE LOST.
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:18am
spawnofoldgit, have you told our membership secretary about your change of address? Not a lot we can do if you haven't.
If you enter all the details requested when you sign up to the new forum you should be recognised as a paid up member and not be on a 30 day trial.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:19am
Roy H, odd I had a similar problem when we were testing the site and thought it had been fixed. I will pass details to web team.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:26am
paul, thanks for your patience. To answer your earlier question, it is not possible to move topics from the old forum into the new forum without a lot of work, any volunteers? Your suggestion of starting a project X part two see Y for part one is a good idea and we will have to wait and see if it can be done once the old forum is archived.
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
ok thanks for that charlie
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:29am
nigel, you will need to re-register on the new site, sorry.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:09am
Roy H, I understand your user id had a space in it which is what caused the problem.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:14am
Just to clarify members status on the new forum.
Those that pre registered (only 49 members) via the link published in issue 89 of THe Cultivator, will have received an e mail with their new id and password, (but only if they entered their e mail address correctly). This gives them paid up members access and not a 30 day trial.
Those that have not pre registered will need to sign up via the Free Trial giving ALL the details asked for, this will ensure that paid up club members get full access and not a limited 30 day trial access.
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:05am
Charlie would it be possible then for me to delete my temp user profile and my old profile from here and register for the new site with a new user name and password but filling in personal details so as to show me as being a member? or should i wait for admin to try to resolve? Roy H
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
Roy H I see you have posted on the new forum so I assume access problem is resolved. Developers are still investigating the issues around viewing topics
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:31am
Have been playing on new forum and await confirmation from other users but it seems that .pdf .doc files can be uploaded a great improvement.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:37am

Have been playing on new forum and await confirmation from other users but it seems that .pdf .doc files can be uploaded a great improvement.

Oh, that's useful, i've been using Dropbox but it's now full...
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:00pm
Just uploaded a PDF and it worked OK!
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:08pm
for the time being charlie i can access via a trail membership/username
which i can use to view my posts and those of others ok the problem is still there with not being able to do these things on my members profile, the issue will come when i can't do this when or if the trail membership expires or trail users rights become limited, it would appear that there are some restrictions that have for some reason been placed on my members account such that i can't see posts that i have started or those that others have started but can only see other members replys , i would have thought it not beyond the developers gift to just remove the restrictions on my members account?
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:08pm
I've just put a couple of new posts on the new forum and attached some photos, all seems ok...

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:37pm
Roy, as I said before the developers are looking into the 'restrictions'.
IP IP Logged
Steve in Bed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Steve in Bed Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:58pm
I'm happy to help out, if I can

Regards
Steve
...in my Shed in Bedford
IP IP Logged
milkman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote milkman Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 7:54pm

Just to clarify members status on the new forum.
Those that pre registered (only 49 members) via the link published in issue 89 of THe Cultivator, will have received an e mail with their new id and password, (but only if they entered their e mail address correctly). This gives them paid up members access and not a 30 day trial.
Those that have not pre registered will need to sign up via the Free Trial giving ALL the details asked for, this will ensure that paid up club members get full access and not a limited 30 day trial access.

Ah, that's why I cannot log on!!   I will have to use the trial period then as I missed it in the mag.Embarrassed  Thank you for clarifying Charlie.Thumbs%20Up

Pete.
IP IP Logged
Hillsider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Hillsider Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:13pm

Roy, as I said before the developers are looking into the 'restrictions'.

Hello Charlie, It may be me looking in the wrong place but I cannot seem to find a Quote function in the new forum. Is this something that may follow on later? I find it useful when reply to a posting as it strings things together. I have sorted some things out just by exploring.
Thanks to you and the team for your efforts sorting things out.
Ray.
IP IP Logged
lauber1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote lauber1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:39am
Well, with no malice or disrespect for towards the admin, nor other members, and from an American point of view....I'm not sure all this forum/website changing is going to work out for me. As I read this, you pick my user name and password, and I have to pay $20 odd dollars a yr to view and post on it? Not attempting to come off cheap, but those of us in the states, don't really get any of the perks of membership offered to you gentlemen. I cant easily attend your events, I wouldn't be covered by the insurance, so the only advantage would be getting the Royal Mail delivery of the newsletter. Not saying its not a fine newsletter, as I have bought a few yrs back issue on CD and found them interesting.
Sorry to see everyone poking pins into a little Charlie doll and hope it all works out for the best at the end. I believe that we will just sit back and watch how things develop, and decide on a final course of action later. I will say that over the last couple of yrs, Ive grown to like this place and hope it doesn't disappear.
restoring history, one bolt at a time.
IP IP Logged
neilhorse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote neilhorse Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:56am
I just signed up to the 30 day trial  , Sorry to say that i found the experience quite disappointing.
I tried to add pics to a post  which were Copied & pasted from Photo bucket & it did`nt work  , all that uploaded was the url text & not the picture , a feature that the current site does with no problem then used the attachment feature at the bottom of page to add pics , & it didn't work  then tried to edit my post by trying to remove what i have said & it wouldn't allow access.
My fear with a lot of the glitches is that you may lose members as the new site seems  too complicated & some of our older members may not find it too easy to use .
This is what i have found with the site so far but i will persevere as the problem may just be me, but i did try to sort the problem myself for a very frustrating hour & half  & i still have got no further .
Oh one other thing . the spell checker does`nt work when i  view the site using firefox as the browser .
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:33am
Neil, I've found it very easy to upload pictures from my hard disk and you can put up PDF's and Doc's as well as Jpegs. There is one glitch which the committee is aware of, that is, if you don't log in you will only be able to see the last posting on a topic. Oh, by the way, I suppose you could say I'm an older member - 67!
Laber1, This forum will only continue for a short while and then it will be shut down. As Geoff (Trusty220) said it's creaking and every morning Charlie has to remove all the spam logins manually, this forum will not allow these cranks to disrupt things.
Sometimes committees (and Governments, as I'm sure you are aware!) do things we don't like but we elect them and it is up to their judgement to do what they see the best for us. Sign up for your FREE trial, we'd love to see you on it, if you don't like it after that then at least you've given it a go!
IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:35am
Hello Charlie.
Just put a post on this morning, and every think went fine. A few things I haven't found yet, but that will come with more use. I think if the new site could have kept posting topics the same as the old site members would have had at least something they were used to.
This is just a thought and It might not have been possible.   
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version