Established 1993. The only club dedicated to all types of vintage garden tools and machinery

.....Find the NEW website and machinery forums at www.vhgmc.co.uk

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  CalendarCalendar  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General talk and discussion
 VHGMC ForumsThe Main Forum AreaGeneral talk and discussion
Message Icon Topic: Questions or Problems with new website Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
TITCH
Forum Member
Forum Member

Online Status: Offline
Quote TITCH Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:57am
Lauber1, this would be sad of course but I can understand your situation, and indeed others overseas.
Send me a normal email would you again please, I still have something to send you.

Owen, I think you have accurately said it all!

Many, if not most, of the attendees at THIS forum, will have had and/or will have difficulties of some form or another.. Glitches/refusals/Non Permissibles call them what you will. Obviously different peoples 'Browsers' will operate differently for example.
But for me, the layout is the initial thing that I am very uncomfortable with, there isn't ANY problem doing it the same as this one despite what may be being said, it's the format used, or chosen to have available that any 'developer' decides to use, offer or advise. So to me, standardising a format is absolutely crucial to enable users to be familiar with a 'system' and this one is a standard format for tens of thousands of forums.

I hate criticising and I'm trying to be positive & constructive, my irritation is that it seems apparent that individuals comments are disregarded or 'fought' over with no thoughts of reconciliation considered.

I too,as many many others have spent far too many hours trying to work with this new layout, sadly it doesn't look like it will work for me, or indeed the settings that my computers are using.. inevitably I am not going to swap formats for one, quite unique, forum.. as much as massively have enjoyed the past few years.. contributing,helping and indeed receiving help.. I just wish this was set up as a test forum initially, the costs involved.. well.. Don't Run Before....

I must sign off now, I have work to do and I think I must note that this topic has been the fastest page growing of content EVER been on this otherwise very very good forum, what it needs is better filters and the simple ways of letting it know that we are humans and not other programmes signing in, it simply is not rocket science, I cannot see justification, financially or otherwise, I'm sorry, I cannot.. and I do think before I talk.

Titch
Restorations Final Touch!
IP IP Logged
sdarmstrong
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote sdarmstrong Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:03am
Can we be given instructions on moving our ongoing individual topics to the new forum or is it too complicated?
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:50am
sdarmstrong, yes it is too complicated that is why they have not moved yet. When the old forum closes everything will be moved as an archive. We would have loved to move everything at day one and continue but sadly not possible without massive expenditure of manhours (and money).
All you need to do is start a new topic restoration X (part 2).
'Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer'
IP IP Logged
Hillsider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Hillsider Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by lauber1

Well, with no malice or disrespect for towards the admin, nor other members, and from an American point of view....I'm not sure all this forum/website changing is going to work out for me. As I read this, you pick my user name and password, and I have to pay $20 odd dollars a yr to view and post on it? Not attempting to come off cheap, but those of us in the states, don't really get any of the perks of membership offered to you gentlemen. I cant easily attend your events, I wouldn't be covered by the insurance, so the only advantage would be getting the Royal Mail delivery of the newsletter. Not saying its not a fine newsletter, as I have bought a few yrs back issue on CD and found them interesting.
Sorry to see everyone poking pins into a little Charlie doll and hope it all works out for the best at the end. I believe that we will just sit back and watch how things develop, and decide on a final course of action later. I will say that over the last couple of yrs, Ive grown to like this place and hope it doesn't disappear.

Hi, re the user name and password I understand that it is intended that we no longer hide behind a user name and are brave enough to use our own names to help folk know who we are talking to.
Re the password provided to get you on to the forum that can easily be changed to one of your own choosing, the new layout is all a whole new ball game and will take some getting used to for all of us. One huge difference is the improvement in how photos are posted, we shall be able to see pictures of your machines much better. Ray.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:38am
It's a bit like buying a new car, none of the light switches are in the same place, various other things are different, but we get to know our way around them and then start to appreciate the refinements of the new model.
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by TITCH

But for me, the layout is the initial thing that I am very uncomfortable with, there isn't ANY problem doing it the same as this one despite what may be being said, it's the format used, or chosen to have available that any 'developer' decides to use, offer or advise. So to me, standardising a format is absolutely crucial to enable users to be familiar with a 'system' and this one is a standard format for tens of thousands of forums.

I hate criticising and I'm trying to be positive & constructive, my irritation is that it seems apparent that individuals comments are disregarded or 'fought' over with no thoughts of reconciliation considered.

I too,as many many others have spent far too many hours trying to work with this new layout, sadly it doesn't look like it will work for me, or indeed the settings that my computers are using...

Titch

I just can't see your problem, Titch, All the same categories are there, they are just in a different order, or an I missing something?
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
Trustymasseyman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Trustymasseyman Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm
Can I just remind you all that we are all volunteers. The committee DOES have posts to be filled .......
Also how many of us are driving a old car in excess of 20 years old ? This web site is old and out of date. Many of the above posts are saying the committee should of just left it a lone ...... If we had when this site died at least you wouldn't of had a place to air negative posts.
I look forward to seeing you ALL at next years AGM
written english is not my strong point but I've written this to HOPEFULY stop this run of negative post.
MR PRESIDENT - CHARLIE YOU ARE DOING A GREAT JOB and so say 98% of the membership
IP IP Logged
will_haggle
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote will_haggle Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 1:32pm
Hear, Hear!, Ivan, As soon as I told Charlie I had a problen it was sorted.....
6 months ago I couldn't even spell engineer - now I are one
Calne, North Wiltshire...
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:19pm
yes i think it will be ok, it will just take some of us old farts a bit of time to get our heads round the new layout, but the problem that i am having is when puting pictures in of my latest project they seem to upload out of order and then i cant edit them into a right order, which is a bit pointless because people see the end result before what it started out like, so my question is how do we edit the pictures in order pleaseBig%20smile
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:59pm
nigel, first I have heard of the problem of photos not been in the right order, I will investigate and pass on to development team. Initial thoughts are possibly something to do with file names and software arranging them in numerical, alphabetical or date order. I know what you mean about editing photos after uploading, I have a couple I need to turn round. Had one complaint that power lead keeps coming out of monitor when someone turns it round to view image right way up!!!!
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:06pm
thanks charlie but i dont think file names or numbers make any differance maybe its the size of the file but the site realy will need some way of editing theseBig%20smile also charlie it would be good to see if your computor buffs could sort an area for an A---Z of machines so that there is a photo gallery in alphabeticle order of all machines collected, that would be better than brian bells bibleThumbs%20Up
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
vegikev
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote vegikev Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:07pm
i have had no problems using the new site/forum. there are a few things that would be nice to be added but not important for now. its a bit like driving in a new city, at first its all new and not sure which route to take but once you have driven there a few times it becomes simpler  Wink
all things pop-bang.....
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:16pm
well i have managed to move my project holder over to the new site, and it was not to much bother even for me and ime certanly not EGIMMACATID in computors, the way i did it was copy and paste my origanal text from the old site then reposted the picts  it seems to have worked ok execpt some picts are out of order but charlies on the caseBig%20smile
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:20pm
Just to check Nigel, did you upload the photos using the file upload, choose file, button?
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 6:25pm
yes i did charlie and i did it in order that i wanted them to appear
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
neilhorse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote neilhorse Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:22pm
This is just an observation note
The wheelhorse site Redsquare recently changed to a new forum software & was an instant success with the members  & they were also able to carry over the complete archive from the previous site , although the software cost a bit of money It was well worth the cost . could this be used here at VHGMC

The format of Redsqure is really easy to use  & the cost to implicate could Maybe come from subscriptions
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/ check out the format
Just a thought
IP IP Logged
Anglo Traction
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Anglo Traction Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:57pm
I agree Neil, offering a Support Membership like Redsquare is a very good example of financing a Forum without committing everyone to be a Club Member. Many want to be part of a Forum and contribute with help, information and projects etc , but will never be able to benefit from a Club Membership, like those abroad for example. It's a shame really, but I sincerely hope that that the New Website and Club goes from strength to strength.
Regards.

Richard
IP IP Logged
simar kid
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote simar kid Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:17pm
tried to get the free trial ,having entered what was required and also using my old user name and password I was confronted with a problem. it appears that my user name and password don't work so I will have to ring someone up to talk me through it etc. probably my fault but to a none computer wise person it baffles me.
Not sure whats wrong. i think we will let it develop
IP IP Logged
Roy H
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Roy H Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:37pm
let me know how you get on simar kid cos i have same problem , i got around it for the time being by using the free trail but had to use a different user name and email address Roy H
IP IP Logged
Darmic1
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Darmic1 Replybullet Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by neilhorse

This is just an observation note
The wheelhorse site Redsquare recently changed to a new forum software & was an instant success with the members  & they were also able to carry over the complete archive from the previous site , although the software cost a bit of money It was well worth the cost . could this be used here at VHGMC

The format of Redsqure is really easy to use  & the cost to implicate could Maybe come from subscriptions

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/ check out the format

Just a thought

Now thats a forum!!!
IP IP Logged
owen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote owen Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 7:56am
It's early days for the new site, as more members move over It's beginning to look more familiar. Their are a few issues but I'm sure they will get sorted. I've enjoyed this site an learnt a lot. And am confident it will continue with the new one.

IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:22am
neilhorse, I see Redsquare had a problem 12 months ago and everybody had to re register. The club has already spent a lot of money on the new website, we are not going to spend more and go through another change just to satisfy the one or two that refuse to accept change.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:29am
simar kid your old user id and password will not work on the new forum, you have to register and then use the password sent to you in the e mail the system sends automatically. You can then change the password to what you want once you have logged in.
IP IP Logged
Hillsider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Hillsider Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:50am
Originally posted by Charlie

neilhorse, I see Redsquare had a problem 12 months ago and everybody had to re register. The club has already spent a lot of money on the new website, we are not going to spend more and go through another change just to satisfy the one or two that refuse to accept change.

Yes I noticed that when I had nose around, did you also notice that they have advertising taking up screen space. Not something that i would wish to see here on the club site unless it became the only way to keep the site running.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:56am
We have no intention of having advertising on the site.
IP IP Logged
neilhorse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote neilhorse Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:03am
Interesting, I dont have any advertising from Redsquare on my screen .
Maybe it only applies to members????
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:05am
nigel, we have already considered the idea of an A-Z and it is on the 'to do' list.
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:16am
Roy H can you send me a pm with your user id and password copied from the e mail you received, I want to test it to see what problem is.
Thanks,
Charlie
IP IP Logged
neilhorse
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote neilhorse Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:25am
just tried the Photobucket picture adding & it now works well 
IP IP Logged
Charlie
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote Charlie Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 11:30am
Another success story for the new forum.
IP IP Logged
Anglo Traction
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Anglo Traction Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by neilhorse

Interesting, I dont have any advertising from Redsquare on my screen .Maybe it only applies to members????

You only see Advertising on Redsquare and others if you have not logged on as a Forum Member/Supporter, or are viewing (restricted access) as a Guest.
Richard
IP IP Logged
nigel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote nigel Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:42pm
at the end of the day the fact is the website has changed now lets start to pull together as a club and make it the best resouce site for the like minded people with the same intrests as us, we have an opertunity here . with the vast knowledge of club members this could be a one stop wordwide gallery of nearly every machine made for the garden and smallholding for the last 100 odd years with restorations of many of them, yes there are problems with the site with many shortcomings but please just point these out in a positive way to the admin, and they will be sorted out over the next few months,yes more work does need to go into it, but dont under estamate the months of hard work and time thats already been put in. this is just the begining NOT the endBig%20smile
ime very posh
IP IP Logged
pmackellow
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote pmackellow Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 4:45pm
Well said Nigel

We all need to support the new site, the problems will be sorted out, and then as nigel says we will have an impressive resource of all things horticultural for the years to come.

Collector of Tarpen, Wheelhorse, International Cub Cadet, Landmaster, Cooper Stewart, Farmfitters, Jobber, Jalo, Ro-lo, Sisis and literature
IP IP Logged
Trustymasseyman
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote Trustymasseyman Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:28pm
just been on new site for first time to night and pleased to report NO problems only praise all the way. Please see post and photos on new site ( I have never been able to load photos onto this site) of Club ploughing match / trusty chalange. Thanks to all member carrying over posts onto new site. Enjoyable day at above event
IP IP Logged
sdarmstrong
Forum Member
Forum Member

Quote sdarmstrong Replybullet Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:22am
Well said Nigel   

We all need to support the new site, the problems will be sorted out, and then as nigel says we will have an impressive resource of all things horticultural for the years to come.   
I think this sentiment is the way forward people !
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version